Sign in to follow this  
Ex-RoNiN

I have made an important decision

In two year's time, when I hopefully graduate from university, I shall leave England for 6 months to complete my military service in Greece wow.gif

This took an awful lot of time to consider, but I think 6 months in the army and earning crap money is better than having to stay out for another 14 years. It will be an immense challenge, and I am looking forward to that.

I guess I better stop eating them kebabs and pizzas then tounge.gif

Does anyone else here have experiences with his conscription service? Is it as crap as people make it out? Or is it cool? Post your stories smile.gif

Sucks to be Europee-on tounge.gif

I guess alot of countries still use conscription as a cheaper means of accquiring troops. Conscription just seems wrong to me, I can't understand why a government would force people into military service. Oh well, just do your job really half-assed. biggrin.gif

I'm glad I'm in a volunteer army, I like my $80 per day. tounge.gif

Tyler

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Oct. 10 2002,02:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Does anyone else here have experiences with his conscription service? Is it as crap as people make it out? Or is it cool? Post your stories smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Oh yes, I still remember - due to the very fact that my service took place north of the polar circle as opposed to warm and cuddly Greece.

My experience? Mostly good actually! We had opportunity to attend lectures at the uni in the evening. The social life in the fort was very good. Everyone tried to be nice chaps. Lots of fun to be had. However, I have to say that the parts most people expected to be most fun - actually turned out to be the most hated ones. The MILITARY experience was boring, cold and made you realize that theofficers don't appreciate your intellectual skills. But if you like cleaning your equipement, never take an initiative, but generaly do what you are told - only do it faster or better, then I suppose it will be allright.

Actually, it wasn't that bad. But, like you I am about to finish my studies at uni. Having to serve now would seriously strain my patience due to the fact that most petty master are just 19 years old.

Make the best of it!

well, i guess it won't be that bad if you can spend 6 months and don't worry about for rest of your life. I say go for it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Oct. 10 2002,05:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">well, i guess it won't be that bad if you can spend 6 months and don't worry about for rest of your life. I say go for it.<span id='postcolor'>

6 months in Greece sounds fabolous. Try 12 months in Norway!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Assault (CAN) @ Oct. 10 2002,03:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sucks to be Europee-on  tounge.gif

I guess alot of countries still use conscription as a cheaper means of accquiring troops. Conscription just seems wrong to me, I can't understand why a government would force people into military service. Oh well, just do your job really half-assed.  biggrin.gif

I'm glad I'm in a volunteer army, I like my $80 per day.  tounge.gif

Tyler<span id='postcolor'>

lol Tyler, I live in canada as u do, but I come from italy where they use conscriptions. Well u know WAY BETTER than me the condition of the canadian army. Any army in europe (ya the ones made of conscript and professionist) could succesfully invade canada (even Montecarlo and Vatican State LOL). Ronin, it should be fun, I had friends who said that it was a life experience (its not all fun more like 90 % crap but there is some fun to it + money lol)

Heh, it sure is something to serve in a conscription army. Mostly it's waste of time, because everything is taught at the pace of the slowest one. And then the rest of the time is filled with auxilary action like mopping the floors or raking the yards. The officers don't really think that anybody under them is capable of thought, because they think brass makes them experts in everything.

But hell, there are no worries and no reponsibility. Easy living.

Lol... why would we wanna go to canada smile.gif

Anyway ex-ronin go for it! At least you wont feal sorry for it in 20 years that you didnt do it smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Blomstermann @ Oct. 10 2002,11:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Lol... why would we wanna go to canada smile.gif

Anyway ex-ronin go for it! At least you wont feal sorry for it in 20 years that you didnt do it smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Join with us huma...err..friend. Will won't ea..errm..conscript you.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Blomstermann @ Oct. 10 2002,11:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Anyway ex-ronin go for it! At least you wont feal sorry for it in 20 years that you didnt do it smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Why would anyone be sorry because that. After 20 years....don't think so. I guess he would be sorry all his life if he didn't finish his education at uni - but not joining up.. Come on!