Sign in to follow this  
VincentValentine

How to Model?

Hello I'm new to Modeling and Arma (Kinda)

Ever since I got into arma I fell in love with it and would love to know how to model I have a question tho what program do I need to know is it blender or 3ds max to make stuff?

and is there any good youtube tutorials out there? if so can you guys link me some I tried looking and couldn't find anything :'(

P.S Keep in mind I don't know anything about theses programs so I'm gonna have to know from like beginners beginners lol

Blender.

If you are new to the dev side, then I highly recommend Blender. It's an amazing software package. It's FREE. And it's open-source. It will do all kinds of things to put in all kinds of games. 3D Models, Animation, etc. It would suck to waste all that money, just to find out you don't like tinkering (or have the time) for professional game development. The learning curve is steep, but you only have to focus on the Modeling part. Blender is used for all kinds of artistic projects as well, that you won't need.

You have to search YouTube again for Blender tutorials. Beginner 3D Modeling. Etc. Blender is a full on professional software development suite, used in game development, movies, art, etc. It's not ArmA specific. You'll need a Blender plug-in by Alwarren to convert the model into ArmA specific code.

From there, you'll need to import/open that in Object Builder in the Steam ArmA Tools. The Tools are also a FREE download as well from your Steam account. You'll have to finish the model in there with a few steps before actually getting it into the game. (it gets too complex to explain here)

If you look a few posts down, I also answered a post with a link to a bunch of Tutorials. Or do a search for Armaholic Tutorials. Some are old and dated, but basics and concepts still apply.

Also, a last word of advice, make sure you check all Sticky Topics at the top of the main sections here in the Forums. A lot of good stuff gets skipped over out of habbit, just to scroll down to the latest posts.

Hope that helps some. I know that's not the answer most noobs want, but getting into the modeling and dev side, is intense and complicated stuff. Start with a simple box. Make an Ammo Crate. You'll learn all of the basics from that. P3Ds, Graphics, Configs, LODs, etc.

Welcome to the dark-side of ArmA and your next addiction. Mwah mwah mwah...

Edited by Goblin

Thanks I really hope I'll understand it, it seems very difficult to get into on how to make things but I hope I'll get it :'(

Hey VincentValentine,

Ive started a few months ago with Modeling for Arma3, and had a great help with this movie.

Its a blender to Arma3 tutorial, hope it helps you to.