Sign in to follow this  
Spartan0536

BI Developer REQUESTED again for weight calculation

Hello again, this time I am back attempting to shed light once and for all on the issue of properly calculating MASS of objects in ArmA III. I have scoured the forums here and on other places just to get confused about values and how they are to be calculated.

Now the traditional explanation is for example:

30Rnd_556x45_Stanag

Config mass value: 8

Real world weight value: 0.25 kg

So, to convert the game's mass value to kg we do

8 / 32 = 0.25

So our baseline value is: 32

However this also seems to be contested as its not universally applicable across gear, so my question is how do you BI devs calculate the mass of objects like weapon magazines?

The equation I've always used is:

mass of object in kg x 22 = "ArmA Mass"

Thanks for the reply however I think this illustrates the issue, I have heard of people using various values to properly calculate "ArmA Mass", however the only people who truly seem to know are the Dev's and I have not seen a Dev explain how they calculate the mass of magazines, weapons, ect. If a Dev would reply to this explaining their forumla it would help many mod makers establish a solid foundation.

I have not seen a Dev explain how they calculate the mass of magazines, weapons, ect.

Whilst I haven't seen a dev explain their formula, I have seen a dev agree that its "more complicated but similar to" the one I use. I am trying to find the post now.

EDIT: Found it.

Edited by Jackal326

Whilst I haven't seen a dev explain their formula, I have seen a dev agree that its "more complicated but similar to" the one I use. I am trying to find the post now.

EDIT: Found it.

Ok that was interesting, and while the hit formula for damage is fairly complex it is publicly available as I use their formula to calculate my damages in my work. However as a rough stop gap Kg x 22 would suffice; however I am sure we can agree that a full explanation would interest the moddding community so that we can at least get it balanced correctly in the "ArmAverse".

I am sure we can agree that a full explanation would interest the moddding community so that we can at least get it balanced correctly in the "ArmAverse".

True enough, but if we all start using kgx22, it would become the standard and everything would be balanced :)

Yeah it's all made up.

IRL, if I filled up my backpack with an enormous polystyrene block (less than 1kg), then in Arma I would have to put the mass to something like 80 or 100 so it can't be loaded in a vest....