MoreAgm

For the Love of GOD please remove weapon selection from action menu (scroll wheel)

Good points BB. Explosives should be in your hand and then you place them and you need to have the device in your hand to trigger them. Same for the grenades that you have it in your hands and then throw them. That's one way to simple things again in the standards. There's a reason why for example CS does things like that, because it's natural.

Good points BB. Explosives should be in your hand and then you place them and you need to have the device in your hand to trigger them. Same for the grenades that you have it in your hands and then throw them. That's one way to simple things again in the standards. There's a reason why for example CS does things like that, because it's natural.
This... this so much.. I really wish they put more things into the characters hands, literally.

Ever since the release up to this day it baffled me that they chose to make the grenade a 1 button action. unrealistic, immersion breaking, flawed an dangerous. How this got passed design is insane.

I'm not sure that putting every context action to dedicated button is a good way.

I would like to see the ACE3 action style in the vanilla game:

Btw i think it's increase the immersion too. Because i see what can i do and what is more important: where!?!

I'm not sure that putting every context action to dedicated button is a good way.

in case that was directed at my post: that's not what i meant. it's more about separating the menus rather than the buttons based on context. for vehciles for example you could still use the same button as for doors etc. obviously (it's how i do it in EM and i'm sure DoctorSheep and others do it very similar). it's all about context sensitivity. for explosives i personally think it's a must though to have them separated for obvious life threatening reasons ;)

again one can look to mods which basically have always taken the task of prototyping anyways. AGM, ACE etc have a self interaction key in addition to the main universial interaction key. that's already one big cut in the middle to organise actions better. the menu for self interaction could have the bombs in it (might already be like that in AGM, ACE). same goes for the weapon change.

it's not so much about small details and personal preferences but the main principle of structuring the GUI based on common sense applied to what actually happens when you play. having everything in one list and then also having to select every entry after another in a dictated order is just bad. it's like having to navigate a website with WASD or similar to main menus in some games ported from consoles.

i mean i get the appeal (for the devs) of doing it all in one menu on paper but 14 years of field testing have shown that it's deeply flawed. blowing yourself/others up by accident and switching weapons while you wanted to open a door are only the extreme examples.

i think mods and other games should be used as an example. i get the argument that there are many actions to be performed. but that doesn't change the fact that the scroll menu is a bad "solution".

there are already two or more examples on the Stratis airport do illustrate why it's just broken. go up to the ladder of the control tower. turn to the door opposite side of it and you will see the ladder action. turn to the ladder and you will see the door action.

same in the building next to the tower. there are several doors close to eachother. they are a perfect example to show that it simply does not work by design. wrong method. it tries to be context sensitive but it fails.

-----------------------------------------------

i and others have made features in our mods that simply erase those problems using very simple (basically...if you ignore the hacks needed because of engine inaccessibility) common sense methods.

here's a great example: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=27077

-----------------------------------------------

someone said proximity would be a problem. proximity is a really bad criteria/method anyways. atleast if it's the only data used. most games and most interaction mods for arma use ray casts to catch the exact action you want to perform.

that easily solves the problem of doors/hatches and ladders and any other simple triggerable animations on static objects. these should all use the same context sensitive button same as in pretty much every other game.

------------------------------------------------

more complex things like specific vehicle seats should be procedurally arranged (in other words context sensitively filled with items) in a menu that comes up when you use a universial button (or another way) to engage vehicle interaction. i personally don't care if the icons are 3d as long if it works and is not clunkier because of it.

------------------------------------------------

bombs could be done via an actual triggering device that is used like a weapon. if you have more than one bomb it could have it's own HUD/GUI that highlights the bomb in question in the 3d world so you can trigger it by aiming at its icon. or it could give you a chronological list of the bombs in the order you placed them similar to how it's done in the scroll menu now. the key point though would be that it's a specific isolated menu for that purpose only same as the vehicle menu.

in general i think those isolated menus should be clickable arranged buttons. in arma there's always lists being used (scroll menu same as the AI command menu). and even worse you actually have to scroll all entries instead of selecting one of them directly. the latter could either be achieved via holding a button and clicking them or holding a button and navigating using the mouse much like the well known commo rose method.

-------------------------------------------------

these are just my thoughts but actually i think this is a common sense and "state of the art" approach that should be a no brainer. GUI is yet another thing that arma does differently. in a pretty bad way.

And this is the main reason I brought up the TKOH Interaction menu when BIS mentioned improving interaction. They hadn't said much about it, but mentioned it awhile ago, maybe a month or so back.

The thing about the TKOH Interaction menu, is that it's made by BIS, and could be incorporated into existing interactive items. Take doors and ladders for example, it's a mess. Introduce the TKOH Interaction, and your provided with smooth and non-cluttered, visual appealing interaction. Your presented with an icon, and you can press one button to interact with that icon. Some mods, such as the action button mod, already show off that kind of effectiveness. It's very similar to the TKOH Interaction, and I'm surprised that BIS hasn't looked into one of their own creations as a solution. I can see High Command related AI commands staying on the number keys/scroll menu however, that's not something you can look at and press a button.

As for most other items, you can already set a key for those. So, it only makes it simpler.

I would like to see a system, which allows players to choose what actions are in the action menu. For example I also do not need the change ammo type action, or the reload action, I simply do that in the inventory. Same thing with Engine On,Eject and Get Out. We have keys for that and I never use the action menu entries for these.
this is needed

this and performance alone make arma 3 a struggle to play

Well, I like the current system, have no problem to deal with it.

But maybe cause I'm used to it since 2001

For those of us who play SP and command AI we still need the F keys and number keys to command so removing the weapon selection from the scroll wheel doesn't work

For those of us who play SP and command AI we still need the F keys and number keys to command so removing the weapon selection from the scroll wheel doesn't work

I still don't understand why they don't do the commanding with the number keys like in Wolfenstein:ET, Counter-Strike and other shooters and games that have quick shout chatting. Have the command menu open and then the weapon doesn't switch when pressing those number keys and when it's closed you can again use the number keys where they're assigned.

Basic gaming standards.

I've moved my command number keys to numpad :D

I've moved my command number keys to numpad :D

Good luck controlling the RHS Raven ;)

I use CTRL+Left Click to change from rifle to launcher and CTRL+middle click to change from rifle to pistol. There is a command somewhere in the control, so you don't have to use scroll wheel to change weapon

That's why I've suggested it should be optional. If someone wants/needs the scroll wheel action, then he should be able to keep them.

Adding the AI command to the numpad won't work. Believe it or not, there are people out there who don't have a numpad.

I use CTRL+Left Click to change from rifle to launcher and CTRL+middle click to change from rifle to pistol. There is a command somewhere in the control, so you don't have to use scroll wheel to change weapon

There's also a mod "switching weapons on the move" which lets you use Ctrl+1 or 2 to change weapons.

There's also a mod "switching weapons on the move" which lets you use Ctrl+1 or 2 to change weapons.

You don't need a mod for that, right? My binds are primary weapon ctrl+1, secondary ctrl+2, handgun ctrl+3.

You don't need a mod for that, right? My binds are primary weapon ctrl+1, secondary ctrl+2, handgun ctrl+3.

For the keybinds, you don't. They've even removed the hardcoding from the number and "F" keys so you can use them for whatever you please, and you can bind the squad control keys to whatever, even the numpad if you have one.

I believe he meant while moving ;) I removed commanding from 1 2 3 etc, I bind ctrl + 1 2 3... Now I switch weapons like in any other game with just normal number keys, thank god. Also spacebar does nothing for me anymore, I use ctrl + space.

This way I to avoid the action menu as much as possible. Also in haste it reduced the chance of satchels blowing up when you are opening a door.

why hasnt this been done since ARMA 2

WE DONT no more DLC for now Bohemia, modders got that covered

\

• Like 1

why hasnt this been done since ARMA 2

WE DONT no more DLC for now Bohemia, modders got that covered

\

Who is 'we' ?

One thing I would like to be separated out is ROF selection. A single key to switch between single, burst, and auto, and another key for the launcher would be great

One thing I would like to be separated out is ROF selection. A single key to switch between single, burst, and auto, and another key for the launcher would be great

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, isn't that exactly how it works? Press F to change fire mode, one button for launcher, one for handgun and one for primary, or did you mean take the grenade launcher away from the fire mode selection, so to use the MX 3GL as an example:

Single-->Full-->Single etc...

instead of the current

Single-->Full-->Grenade launcher-->Single etc..

If that's what you mean then I'd probably be cool with that.

The amount of times I've shot out a 40mm thinking I was in single is embarrassing.

Who cares about a new terrain

Who cares about an expansion

Who cares about new game modes

When the core mechanics, controls , and performance are clunky and unoptimized .

The developers of Arma 3 really should check their priorities years ago !!!j

• Like 1

Who cares about a new terrain

Who cares about an expansion

Who cares about new game modes

When the core mechanics, controls , and performance are clunky and unoptimized .

The developers of Arma 3 really should check their priorities years ago !!!j

Unless you want better controls and performance to be in a DLC, BI needs to fund the game's continued development.

Performance has been part of their focus since the game has released, and it is now more than ever. Controls/interface are also confirmed to receive some overhauling. The developers creating content are not the same people. Project management isn't as simple as you seem to imagine. They don't just have the entire team chase down one task.

Also, a lot of people care about the terrain and expansion.