Sign in to follow this  
infiltrator_2k

Limited Access to Objects in Editor?

I'm currently using MapBuilder and I've noticed it gives me access to an abundance of objects that aren't currently available in the stock editor. Why are there literally hundreds of objects that can't be accessed with the stock editor? Is this going to change? Is there a reason behind it?

I'm bloody annoyed to be denied access to so much content! :mad:

I'm currently using MapBuilder and I've noticed it gives me access to an abundance of objects that aren't currently available in the stock editor. Why are there literally hundreds of objects that can't be accessed with the stock editor? Is this going to change? Is there a reason behind it?

I'm bloody annoyed to be denied access to so much content! :mad:

It would seem if they're displayed in editor or not depends on a single config variable -- one which is probably undefined in many of the classes and it simply defaults to do not show.

Why is anybody's guess really.

It's based on scope config property. A lot of objects are hidden to prevent cluttering lists too much, buy I agree the rules are rather unclear and the current state is confusing. The new 3D editor will allow showing all objects.

To make objects available in the normal editor and in Zeus you need to create a mod that modifies the objects scope. Scope (as Karel mentioned above) defines whether an object is hidden in the editor. A scope property of 2 means that you can select it.

Here is an example:

// To get a generic house object - overwrites the base class
class Land_i_House_Big_01_V1_F
{
   scope = 2; // Can now see it in 2D editor
   scopeCurator = 2; // Can now use in Zeus
   vehicleClass = "Structures_Town"; // Will be placed in the "Structures (Town)" dropdown
};

Also, have a look at CJFT 101. It adds lost of hidden objects to the 2D editor

I noticed this too, but a work around that I have been using lately with making my missions that require those building like objects that are otherwise hidden in the plain editor is to download a mod called mcc_sandbox (this mod allows you to save SQM files of everything that is placed on the map in-game). I then use zeus as a 3d editor to place all the stuff I would need, this also helps with adding units in buildings in such that is harder without a 3d editor.

Once everything is placed from zeus on your mission and you are confident enough then you can open mcc_sanbox to export all to a sqm file, then you export that to a text document (like notpad or whatever you use) then save it and overwright your mission.sqm file that would be located in your missions folder in your documents.

I noticed this too when I was trying to place down ATM's from the structures group in empty. I downloaded an addon that solved the issue. I'll see if I can digup the mod name and then edit this post with it. :)

The new 3D editor will allow showing all objects.

Erm.. a new 3D editor?! Any info about it?

Erm.. a new 3D editor?! Any info about it?

They're making it, all the objects will be shown. Think that's all anyone knows. :D At a guess it will use an interface similar to Zeus (since that's made already) but I'm just speculating. They've mentioned it a few times, I reckon we will see it with the expansion, or they might try and surprise us.

Thx for info guys. I know community made 3d editors... ;) ..i use xCam editor by myself... ;)

It's based on scope config property. A lot of objects are hidden to prevent cluttering lists too much, buy I agree the rules are rather unclear and the current state is confusing. The new 3D editor will allow showing all objects.

That's great Moricky and thank you for the reply BTW. It does see a shame that devs have put so much time and effort into creating so much content and I look forwards to the new editor :) If I could recommend a feature for the new editor it will be its own mini search engine that uses a process of elimination based on keywords. If for example a user inputs "UAV" the results produced are all the classnames of the UAV drones, terminals and backpacks together with the category they're in and obviously an animated illustration of the items.