tooostaaa

[NEED HELP] Trees are either in or above the ground | Always wrong height

Hey guys,

my first post I guess .. yay :D

Anyway, I am stuck with a little problem I have with TerrainBuilder and X-Cam.

I placed literally thousands of trees with X-Cam. Right after that I wanted to export them for TerrainBuilder. Since I am just the guy for object placement in our Team, I really do not have a clue of TerrainBuilder at all .. okay, maybe a bit basic stuff, but dont tell my anything about folder structure on P: whatever :D I just did what our expert in my team said and TerrainBuilder itself works just fine.

The Problem is to import the objects. When I finished exporting, X-Cam creates a text file, in which all information are TB needs. I moved that file to P:/the_project_folder/TeamplateLibs/ and from there I import it.

But that never worked because the trees were either way to high or there was just the very top of the pine tree visible, which is quite annoying. I tried exporting the trees with both, relative and absolute height and imported both with both options. Never worked. Quite annoying to be honest.

Does anyone of you have a clue what this problem is about? Any help is much appreciated!

You can also contact me on my teamspeak on ts.somenewlife.de

Thanks so much for reading this!

Greetings

PS: English is a foreign language for me, please be patient :)

hey,

i guess the settings how to export in xcam and terrain builder are your solution.

try this:

when you export in xcam appears a window. in there is a setting possible. change 'true' to 'false' in this window. this is for changing the height from relative to absolute.

After that you import in terrain builder. here you have also do some settings. in import window where you browse to the file click on extended options and choose the lower option.

lower option would be: 

Click Advanced and then radio button next to Absolute.

I'm getting the exact same issue. I built an airport in x-cam with the runway textures and lighting. I exported the TerrainBuilder file using the relative height set to 'true' then imported it into Terrain Builder telling it the file used relative height. The runway textures were on the ground properly but every light and hanger was hovering above the ground by at least 5 meters.

I exported it from x-cam with relative height set to 'false' and imported it into Terrain Builder as absolute height. Now the objects are in the ground (I realized this when the tops of the hangers were barely sticking out of the ground).

Looking at the height values for the hangers, Absolute Height is 10.440 and Relative Height is 0.440

The Runway Edgelights Absolute Height is 10.000 while it's Relative Height is 0.000

I could manually change every value but doing that for all 2000+ objects and then anything else I add to the map seems rather inefficient. It seems as thought the Relative Height is correct, but something is going wrong packing it. I'm packing using Pbo Project with no errors. Anyone find a solution or got an idea of where the problem might be?

SOLVED! I believe I figured out how to solve this. I had to export the wrp file BEFORE opening the mapframe properties and selecting generate layers. Export wrp, then generate layers, then rebuild terrain seems to have solved it. All objects are in their correct positions now using relative height.

So, looks like I'm gonna be the guy to revive this thread, because it's just about the only one I can find that addresses this problem...only the previous solutions above didn't work for me!

I have tried exporting from Xcam/importing to TB with both relative/absolute, but my objects are still floating up in the air. Previously I haven't had any problems at all, even with the exact same Xcam export file, always setting to 'relative.'

What I find particularly weird is how this buggy floating height seems to be exponential. For example, small bushes near sea level are now just about exposing their roots, whilst a building that's supposed to be on a slope is up at aeroplane altitude!

Any ideas?...  

4 minutes ago, RoF said:

X-cam and Eden export is crap. Everyone should be using E2TB now, there is no reason not to https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1174073713

Yes, I did figure that...but unfortunately I don't have the luxury of jumping ship on a tool I have already invested many hours of work into. I would rather figure out how the problem can be fixed, seeing as it worked fine before?

4 minutes ago, jacknorrisuk said:

Yes, I did figure that...but unfortunately I don't have the luxury of jumping ship on a tool I have already invested many hours of work into. I would rather figure out how the problem can be fixed, seeing as it worked fine before?

E2TB works with eden and x-cam, no need to learn a new tool

7 minutes ago, RoF said:

E2TB works with eden and x-cam, no need to learn a new tool

Okay, that is interesting, I will certainly use it from now on!

However, I do have old exported object lists from Xcam which the project no longer opens in Xcam itself. I don't want to have to place them again...