Gudsawn

Unit SFX - Body fall sounds & hit screams

hmm i have downloaded it three times and tested it each time.. ill try again

just to be clear, I have a verifysigs=2; on my server.

the server starts just fine but it kicks me.

I have tested several times. re downloaded and retested.

I uninstalled, and reinstalled the key on the server. each time.

I launch with mods that are also allowed my server, and i can join fine. when i add unit_sfx, i get kicked from my server . do believe that the key or the signature is messed up.

Edited by Lordprimate

nice little mod here, adds some much needed realism...thanks again

PBO seems to be broken since bisign doesn't work for me, can you please release fixed pbo with fixed bisign? I tried yours and my key to sign it but it sadly kicks player for both.

PBO is propably not binarised correctly.

Edited by gienkov

Thank You!! Not sure why BIS keeps removing features as this was in OFP and I'm sure an ArmA or 2 -- very disappointing. But you and people like you are rebuilding it which I am forever greatful.

Unit SFX - Body fall sounds & hit screams

A small mod

Have fun ;)

Features

- Adds body fall sounds.

- Adds screams when a unit is hit.

- Uses vanilla sounds that are already present in the game (but not implemented).

Usage

This mod runs completely client-side.

Does not need to be run on servers.

Requirements

@CBA

Download

http://www.armaholic.com/datas/users/news_download_a3_3.png

https://withsix-usercontent-cdn.withsix.com/mod/1cdd527b-3962-4687-9c03-0c798dc31d44/logos/banner-420x120.png

Changelog

v1.02 (08/06/15)

- Increased hit scream range from 50m to 150m.

- Increased hit scream volume slightly.

v1.01 (08/06/15)

- key added + file signed.

v1.0 (07/06/15)

- mod released

Licence

Feel free to take this mod and improve on it/use it in your own mod.

Yeah cant play without this now, great mod!

Thanks for the reply, but I already have a method of adding EH's to all units in my mission as I've recreated the spawn functions to include them. Could you send me the code so I could try to apply it in-mission? :bounce3:

Could you please share back here if you get it working, a script version would be awesome!

Great mod!

Is this normal that my avatar screams pretty much at every shot while AI screams rarely?

Edited by Bucic

Is this normal that my avatar screams pretty much at every shot while AI screams rarely?

Well, it simply looks like your avatar is a sissy! :p

But don't bother, so is mine. :rolleyes:

I played for few more hours with this mod. Wow! What a difference! I mean, the notion of completely soundless AI is as ridiculous as it gets in the first place but after years of puting up with this I kind of lost the ability to see how it would play with proper sounds.

What a difference! Take the last mission of the Adapt campaign (Beyond recognition). I got pinned down by a recce unit alone in a single story building in Poliakko. I could finally hear if a grenade thrown by me has made any damage. I could clearly hear when shooting at an AI behind a bush brought fruits :) I even heard an AI screaming and dying and a new task prompt meaning that I either heard the mission script killing off the final AI outside the building or... the AI falling from the stairs! :) Then I proceeded with the mission using the sound hit cues even more, shooting through bushes far more often then ever before.

Thank you for the mod! :thumb:

I say it should be submitted to ACE :-)

Great mod and adds a lot to the atmosphere.

/KC

Good stuff, thanks for sharing! Definitely adds a lot to hear screams in the middle of gunfights, always felt weird to me everyone just gets shot or dies silently.

A couple suggestions:

-crewmen in vehicles probably shouldn't scream when the vehicle blows up; it sounds a little silly right now when there's a medium sized vehicle battle, not to mention you shouldn't be able to hear them inside the vehicle before it explodes anyways.

-it might be nice to have some randomization of units screaming on hit/death, as in maybe not always happening 100%, more like 50/50? That way you still hear them but it's not as predictable, a little less mechanical.

-sort of related to the last, is it tied right now in a way to what side a unit is on, or if they're on the player's team? I noticed that my friendly AI would scream 100% of the time, but the enemy would either almost never scream, maybe 1/10 (or maybe they're just much much quieter?). To test I put down two groups of inf, one blufor and one opfor in Zeus, about 50m away from each other, and was able to hear every one of the bluefor soldiers cry out when shot, but I think only a one or two opfor.

• Like 1

I noticed that my friendly AI would scream 100% of the time, but the enemy would either almost never scream, maybe 1/10 (or maybe they're just much much quieter?). To test I put down two groups of inf, one blufor and one opfor in Zeus, about 50m away from each other, and was able to hear every one of the bluefor soldiers cry out when shot, but I think only a one or two opfor.

Are these Vanilla Blurfor/Opfor or modded units? Do the OpFor units properly support CBA? If not, there's your problem.

Are these Vanilla Blurfor/Opfor or modded units? Do the OpFor units properly support CBA? If not, there's your problem.

Yeah, all vanilla units, nothing special there.

Good stuff, thanks for sharing! Definitely adds a lot to hear screams in the middle of gunfights, always felt weird to me everyone just gets shot or dies silently.

A couple suggestions:

-crewmen in vehicles probably shouldn't scream when the vehicle blows up; it sounds a little silly right now when there's a medium sized vehicle battle, not to mention you shouldn't be able to hear them inside the vehicle before it explodes anyways.

-it might be nice to have some randomization of units screaming on hit/death, as in maybe not always happening 100%, more like 50/50? That way you still hear them but it's not as predictable, a little less mechanical.

-sort of related to the last, is it tied right now in a way to what side a unit is on, or if they're on the player's team? I noticed that my friendly AI would scream 100% of the time, but the enemy would either almost never scream, maybe 1/10 (or maybe they're just much much quieter?). To test I put down two groups of inf, one blufor and one opfor in Zeus, about 50m away from each other, and was able to hear every one of the bluefor soldiers cry out when shot, but I think only a one or two opfor.

Excellent points!

Just a heads-up, this mod is no longer needed since Arma 3 implements these sounds on its own now.

Just a heads-up, this mod is no longer needed since Arma 3 implements these sounds on its own now.

Are you sure?

I just tried without the mod, and I sure didn't hear any screaming...

Are you sure?

Yeah even I am experiencing such effects. I dont have this mod, but a ton of others and none of them seem to have this feature so I guess yeah its vanilla :D

Are you sure?

Same for me so I will keep it loaded ;)

/KC

• Like 1

Yea i did some tests last night based on these past few comments... and what i heard was...

When someone is hit they may let out a grunt... or a groan.. but no screams. 

AND

when someone dies there is no "body fall" sound.

so no this is not part of the default game but there has been sounds added when units are HIT.. IE grunts and groans.

this mod however doesnt seem to work super well... and what i mean is (although i love it) the sounds dont play in a timely manner...

Ill shoot an AI and ill hear the scream a few seconds later..  There is a bit of a delay fo all the sounds in this mod. 

when someone dies, I dont hear the sound of their body falling until well after they have fell. 

If i knew how i would suggest some updates to make the code faster, maybe ill crack it open and have a look at the code. and see if i can make any suggestions, however, i feel like i prolly wont be able. well see

Again thanks for this lil mod its a WELCOME addition to my mod set and i have used it since its release!

• Like 1

ok , so there is a sleep command after the check to see if the unit is alive after it was hit. im going to remove that and do some tests.. the other thing that sticks out to me is that in the IF statement there is also a scream added to dead units... (there is a check to see IF the unit is alive. the ELSE part of the command is adding a scream to a dead body?? I think im going to remove that and do some testing 

I think this should be added as a module in ACE3 but thats just me ...

I also noticed that the distance that these scripts are started is a bit far.. for the hit screams there is a check for players within 150meters... thats a bit far to hear a scream dont you all think? maybe its not but its seems to loud when the AI are far away and they get hit it sounds like their closer. I am going to reduce this in my test version to 75-100 meters. hopefully help on some performance as well.

the death sound (body fall sound) has a check for players within 50meters.. I think that, that is also kinda far to be able to hear a sack of meat and bones fall.. its not a large heavy object thats going to make a loud bang when if falls... im would like to tweek this as well.. 

basically im adjusting the volumes, the distance heard, and the sleep commands 

• Like 3

Wow .. there are soooo Many scream sounds in the game... I want to add more to this mod to use!!

Update:

version 1.03

- Changed "say" command to "say3D".
- Reduced hit scream audibility from 150m to 100m.
- Reduced the hit scream volume one db.
- Reduced bodyfall audibility distance from 50m to 45m (i know big whoop).
- Reduced bodyfall sound volume one db.
- Removed } else { from nested IF statement within the hit script. So Nomore screaming from dead people anylonger.
- Removed sleep command from inside the nested IF statement in hit script. Moved outside before "recently hit" check.
- Finished, already placed scripting for bodyfall sounds in SAND. %50 of the code was already there.
- Removed "time" check in waitUntil command for body fall sound.
- Added 20 more Screams!! a greater variety of PAIN will be delt!!

link removed until fixed

signed and tested on my dedi i can join and it works have at it let me know what you think all credit goes to mistergoodson
  • Like 1

Warning Message: Script \mrg_unit_sfx\functions\fn_unit_sfx_killed.sqf not found
 Warning Message: Script \mrg_unit_sfx\functions\fn_unit_sfx_hit.sqf not found

In menu, on missions.

Hi there!

I don't want to be annoying, but I think it would have been better to have separate links for misterGoodson & Lordprimate versions. Don't mistake me, I'm glad to see this being worked on, but seen as the original one has always been working flawlessly for me and that I do prefer the original settings, it would have been nice to leave v1.02 available somewhere.

• Like 1