Sign in to follow this  
NoxNoctum

What are my options for high quality Arma3 COOP?

I was a huge fan of OFP CWC back in the day but haven't been in the loop since "Resistance" and early days of Arma1 as I was too broke to keep up with the tech. I just bought a new PC now and ARMA 3 with it and want to know what my options are for COOP play. From what I remember, COOP was pretty much the pinnacle of the OFP experience so I'd love to have that again.

there are many communities/clans that run coop missions on set times. There are also a lot of public servers running large capture the island coops, dynamic generated battlefield scenarions or smaller mission by mission coops. If you have a few friends playing arma with minimal effort you can get a lot out of running 2-10 man coop missions hosted on a listed server.

This is my opinion of the A3 server world at present

RPG Servers

There are lots of them. There are some that host them for the "correct" reasons but the majority are doing it for business competing for your money

There are better games for RPG than a milsim engine, but that doesnt stop them from playing them using arma.

I dont know enough about RPG servers to give any other opinion other than I see them as the black death slowly changing the game from a milsim to an open world soap box

Wasteland Servers

Day Z without Zombies. Typically the teamwork will be at a max of 3 or 4 players on their own teamspeak server somewhere. Most players take the role of homicidal maniacs like so many of these style of games

Milsim Servers (Public)

In the majority of cases, they are poorly adminned and have little command and control. They typically run missions designed for public style hosting. Invade & Annex, CTI etc which basically lets the players attempt to coordinate which normally ends up with a small group of players doing their own thing while another small group does their own thing.

There are some really really good open to semi open servers who do get it right, depending on your opinion with decent sized numbers where the admins do get it right and there is good communications and control

Milsim Servers Private

These are spread between the:

1) Extreme Anal groups The "Yes Sir, No Sir, ranks, practicing walking in file for 30 minutes etc who think sitting in an ambush position for 1 hour is a great way to play the game

to

2) Kid wanabees who haven't a clue what they are doing

There are some good groups somewhere in the middle that imo get the balance right, but they tend not to have the numbers for a platoon sized attack, so mainly play spec op missions

Milsim servers are now the minority type servers, you just need to scroll past all the Life and wastenad servers in the server browser until you find one that suits you

If your thinking of giving us a go, then for your best initial experience I would suggest Sunday or Thursday evening from 18:30 hrs onwards where there is a heavy

admin presence and custom coop missions (50 players) are run until around midnight.

Edited by Terox

Milsim Servers Private

These are spread between the:

1) Extreme Anal groups The "Yes Sir, No Sir, ranks, practicing walking in file for 30 minutes etc who think sitting in an ambush position for 1 hour is a great way to play the game

to

2) Kid wanabees who haven't a clue what they are doing

There are some good groups somewhere in the middle that imo get the balance right, but they tend not to have the numbers for a platoon sized attack, so mainly play spec op missions

Thanks, I needed a good laugh.

It really depends what it is you are looking for, There is such a virarity these days the real hard thing is sorting the guys who think shouting at guys and coming up with crazy ideas for missions is really what Milsim's about.

You can pritty much find something that specializes in what you are looking for i think the administration and the community of that group really depends on what they can offer you, Anyone can start a group but many fail there first month and believe because they have 20 guys on there steam group they have reason to begin self promotions, When really they have less to show for themselves than the hours they spent finding there rank icons for TS.

Get an idea of what you want do some research you honestly wont be able to tell until really joining and giving it a go anyone can give you a good speech and anyone can pay for a fancy website but honestly you want that community of people working together to make something beyond a game of just self wannabes in for themselves. You will quickly learn the type of guys who sacrifice there own time and fun so others can have an amazing experience.

All in all good luck finding something that suit's you.

If you are looking for large scale TDM, a category that is sorely lacking in Arma, you will have "CQ" (Close Quarters) as an option very soon. It's currently in development and is looking to be testing by fall 2015. It's a 25vs25 Team Death Match mod that plays on scaled battlefields (rotating maps) designed for a more close quarters feel. It's fast paced like COD with levels, killstreaks, achievements, perks, etc and a massive amount of cosmetic items and weapon choices for the players to be and look truly unique. Everything from the HUD and UI's are all top grade and nothing like this has ever been done in Arma to date.

Here is a link to the website http://www.therevolutiongaming.com/

And here is a link to a recent video showing off the A.S.S. (Armory Selection System) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU1KSAjHaIM