rejenorst

SP Harpoon Delta

Updated video

Hi Jeez! Cool play through but just a note that this is not version 7.2 but version 6 I believe. In version 7 I changed the extraction point to be around the corner (out of view) from where the truck is in your current play through.

If it makes it easier: I uploaded the file to workshop (this way you will always get the latest version I upload):

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198030580018/myworkshopfiles/?section=items&appid=107410

Edited by Rejenorst

Aww crap! And I looked at the files, must of got the wrong one! Sorry, will try other version in the future!

No worries man. Sorry about the 100x file uploads which has likely made the prospect more confusing. I should have titletext of something come up with lists the version number.

Hey Rejenorst,

i´m glad to see you back!

You call your mission "small", but i would prefer "small art".

I played it several times and i like it very much.

And the sound - Trademark by Rejenorst. :)

Cheers

McLupo

Hi McLupo,

Good to see you again! Thanks for the feedback :D glad you liked the mission.

Have been extremely busy with work but am still coding around on other missions with my command scripts. Have updated Harpoon Delta with the latest version of core scripts and changed some things with garrison awareness scripts.

DOWNLOAD LINKS:

Version 8 (Steam): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=532117787

(Deleted old steam upload due to errors on attempting to update and general loss of patience) :angry:

Changelog:

Version 8:

• Have lowered difficulty substantially by making changes to enemy awareness in garrison script and have also increased friendly team awareness and aggressiveness to improve friendly team survivability. Previous script had problems in that it resulted in enemies maintaining lock-on on enemy targets even if target moved away behind cover. Enemies should now be easier to get a jump on but keep in mind that the more enemies know about your position the more likely it will be difficult to maintain the element of surprise. (Tests done only in vanilla Arma3).

• Lots of small unseen script updates to core scripts.
  • Like 2

Hi mate,

download done

Thank you very much for improving one of my favorite missions!

You saved my weekend  :D

I´ ll give you a feedback asap.

Thank you very much for all your efforts and great missions.

Greetings

McLupo

Deleted old steam upload due to errors on attempting to update and general loss of patience

Hahaha, that´s why I use only my dropbox.  :P

Great work as ever buddy, thanks for the update.

Awesome thanks guys :)

There will be a small update tonight probably just to fix an inconsequential error that may pop up if you use showerrors. Its related to when the FIA vehicle drops off its cargo group at its destination. Usually the car drops off its cargo when fired upon or just gets shot up but should it reach its destination without hindrance you may see the error. It shouldn't affect the mission as its at the end of the script. Didn't seem to affect my last test. Basically its because I used an unspecified variable for unlocking the vehicle in the script. Ie: _vehicle is not defined. This is ok since AI will exit anyway.

I am also trying to find a way to hide the player marker on briefing screen as the player gets setpossed into the boats. Haven't found a way to do this just yet. This is the thread for the issue should anyone have an idea on how to do that:

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/185328-hide-player-marker-on-briefing/

EDIT: Just using a work around for now by having the player setpos'd into boat index position in init. Seems to solve that problem.

EDIT #2:

Have now uploaded/updated the steam mission with a fix for the vehicle lock error and player marker on briefing start. (player should no longer show up south of Kavala).

• Like 1

Hi Rejenorst!

At first: You outdid yourself!

I am overwhelmed and totally thrilled about your rework.
The firefights, the screaming commands... it indicates war.
Overall it's hard to put into words what you have created.

I´ve played the earlier version of your mission and called it "small art", but I must correct myself - without a doubt it´s a masterpiece. (Your masterpiece)

In one word - Wow and nothing else.  :) 

You may ask what is so impressive to me?
Well, it is the whole atmosphere you've created - the yells, the radio messages, the daytime and light, the little things, the random mission design, the great working garrison script, not to mention your excellent voice acts and custom music.

Thank you so much mate - you are my hero.  ;) 

Greetings
McLupo

PS: If you're interested, I'd like to translate your briefing from english into german. It would be an honor for me, because german is my native language and I could give you something back?!

Hi McLupo,

Thank you very much for the very generous feedback and offer :D

I'll upload the string table here so that you and anyone else interested in adding languages can add them freely, I can then just update the steam version when ready. I'll also upload a  mission pbo at a later stage for mirroring.

http://www.filedropper.com/stringtable

Hi,

translation in progress!

If it´s done I will send you a PM with the file for secure data exchange.

Greetings

McLupo

Thanks McLupo :D

Also did another update. I forgot I had updated a scipt that checks whether the player is the last surviving member of group. Unfortunately that script update was badly done and so when your team members died it could result in the end mission sequence being spammed. Have fixed that now.

Please let me know if you come across any errors and if you can please post the errors from the rtp file. Thank you!.

• Like 1

Thanks for the update.

It looks pretty good so far, but one error after saving the mission - playing in recruit mode -mission ended and returned back to the start menu and I must restart the mission.

Sadly I can't reproduce the failure.

..., but as I mentioned some posts above - complete feedback follows.

That´s all for now have to play a mission.... :D

Greetings

McLupo

Sorry, I have not correctly pointed out how I got the failure.

What I meant:

When I saved the game during the mission, the error occurs.
It happened meanwhile several times.

Greetings

McLupo

Hello,

my first short impression about the new version of the mission.

The mission is a class of it´s own that´s for sure, but "Where there is smoke - there is fire".

I estimate myself as a good player, because I have already mastered many mission of every kind, but now I am demanded too much.
In spite of repeated attempts I do not succeed to master the mission, because either my companions are all dead, or me.

Mission failed pops up and that´s it... :( 

It already begins on the beach with partly violent bombardment there I already lose sometimes several men.
I know the mission by heart and I mastered it in the past, but now I feel like a wimp.

I think the relative strength is unconsistent and must be improved.
I can be absolutely wrong and am only too silly, but I can´t manage this mission to the end.

For example:
I cleared the area for my brothers in arms and what do the fools? They wait and can be shot. :angry:

I would suggest: Decrease the hostile superior strength a little bit, because it would help alot.

And please give me a grenade launcher for saving my dump comrades asses...hahahaha

Thanks for listening and be sure I´ll never give up, maybe the next attempt will be a success.

Greetings
McLupo

Edit: I almost forgot to mention - Not a single entry in the RPTlog

Hmmm that is strange. I have failed the mission a couple of times but I am getting a lot more successful completions on play-through then before. I have noticed that if the enemy spots you early they will start making their way down to towards you which can be problematic at the beach but most of the time in playthroughs my men have managed to get off the beach and into town. I have never had any problems with the savegame error that you mentioned and I save a lot :0

Can you try the following?:

-Disable any mods (Especially AI mods).

-Delete the mission and download it again (In case of corrupt mission file)

I will delete my mission and download it from steam just to see if something is wrong with the upload.

if the mission is a failure then it will be one of the following reasons being triggered:

1) Vip is dead/kiled.

2) All your men have been killed. (At least one of your men must stay alive)

3) You have left the mission area (ie: 400 meters outside the city. You will get a warning over the radio and have 10 secs to get back).

Next time you get the error check the debriefing to see which one of these it is that way I can isolate what is being triggered.

Also for the grenade launcher you can choose a rifle with gren launcher on the briefing screen :)

I recommend TRG http://armedassault.wikia.com/wiki/TRG_21

Its really good with a scope and has limited recoil. Grab the eglm version on briefing screen.

I will probably lower the number of enemies in the city or at least give players a dialogue screen to choose hard/normal/easy modes.

EDIT:

Have done some test in various difficulty modes. It seems that in elite mode where AI difficulty is set to expert I have noticed the AI taking more time to get to its destination. Have therefore updated the mission and disabled attack in the player group's waypoint. This seems to get the AI to at least look for cover rather than to try and head on any enemies. The group will still move slowly in expert modes but for they did seem to advance for me. I must admit I did not do enough testing in the higher difficulty levels previously. However some of the errors your reporting are errors I have never come across. PM me if the problems persist. Also note: At the beginning of the mission units will automatically get spread out across the city. It can be bad luck of the draw if you get multiple enemies moving to the beach at the start. This is bad mission design on my part as a landing area should be safe to avoid frustration. I hope you will excuse my tardiness on that point as this has been mostly a test mission to work on my scripts. Hopefully in future missions I can take what I've learned here and apply them in my mission design concepts. 

• Like 1

I will probably lower the number of enemies in the city or at least give players a dialogue screen to choose hard/normal/easy modes.

Hi,

first class service... :)

A dialog would be great and very helpful. A great idea.

Thanks once again for your excellent help and support.

Ähmm...the grenade launcher...ääähmmm...yes.., :rolleyes:  but I was so distracted, because of the great view from the boat, I forgot to choose another weapon at the startup. hahahaha...sometimes I stand in one's own way... :P

Keep it up. You're doing a great job.

Thanks!

Greetings

McLupo

BTW: Last attempt I´ve played without any error!!! Don´t know what it was....

No worries. Will let you know once I get that done. If you can test without mods or run a test again in the meantime PM me the results. My scripts create a logic side which may cause some problems with other AI scripts etc.  

Hey Rejen, good to see another mission of yours out! I remember the Arma 2 campaign and its haunting beginning :)

Completed the mission, and I must say, it was a decent ride!

I loved the intense CQC. I’ve shot AAF when one of them was breaching into a building. That was a moment of awesomeness, considering this is dynamic AI doing stuff.

Some formatted elaborate feedback below (Spoilers below!): 

·         Advise the player to check the inventory of the boat (there’s some useful goodies inside!)

·         unitPlay for boat insertion? The smoothness of the insertion is certainly unpredictable.

·         I’ve seen vehicles teleporting around in the city (offroads, hatchbacks,  etc.). Must be a faulty script.

·         Add a civilian kill cap for the player?

·         Also, civilians walk in ‘Slow’ mode during the firefights in the city. They should run or stay crouched / prone behind cover. This really ruins immersion.

·         enableEnvironment false? Too many bunnies and butterflies around in the battlefield, snakes too. Annoys a little.

·         AI gets into the balconies without opening the door..

·         The second squad got lost or something. I had no idea of their location, nor they did report anything. No tension created on that one.

Also, if possible, some small AI extraction script to order them to take cover or simply halt would be great. Or, better yet, make the player and captured AI a separate team that must link up with the remaining survivors.

Hi Inlesco!

Thank you very much for the great feedback :D

I loved the intense CQC. I’ve shot AAF when one of them was breaching into a building. That was a moment of awesomeness, considering this is dynamic AI doing stuff.

The garrison script I have caters for explosive specs and mine layers. Explosive specs if in your area will lay down explosives and run away to a nearby building. If they know your near the explosives and there are no friendly's nearby they will detonate. After which they will likely resume building to building movement in your/nearest enemy direction. Mine layers may lay mines on occasion if they spot you and try and run away. This sometimes leads to hilarity. I once had the hostage accidentally walk over one of those mines ^_^

There's some good ideas which I might add to the mission:

Advise the player to check the inventory of the boat (there’s some useful goodies inside!)

I might add a radio message or hint for this.

unitPlay for boat insertion? The smoothness of the insertion is certainly unpredictable.

The units currentcommand will switch to GET OUT. Sadly for some reason units sometimes get stuck in this mode when exiting boats (especially the zodiacs). I believe its to do with the fact that units attempt to run off to the deep end where they get stuck. Unitplay might help but the units may still be in GET OUT mode which means they may attempt to run to the side of the boat to fullfill their GETOUT condition (I assume) and get stuck. They usually snap out of it after a while. Currently my script switches leaders when units get stuck in GET OUT and will setpos subordinate units on the leaders position should they lag to far behind. After about 3 setpos' subordinates generally resume following leader. I think BI needs to disable the units moving to a set waypoint at the side of boats after disembarking. When units get out of helicopters or tanks they always seem to move away from the vehicle off to the side. Seems hard-coded or something.

I’ve seen vehicles teleporting around in the city (offroads, hatchbacks,  etc.). Must be a faulty script.

FIA hatchbacks? My script checks when a vehicle gets stuck. The FIA offroad that drops off hotel bravo may have gotten stuck and the script may have setpos'd it to a new location. After 3 setpos attempts it will or should kill/destroy the vehicle.

Add a civilian kill cap for the player?

I contemplated doing it but would likely have to add more eventhandlers to each civ. I can add this to the next update.

Also, civilians walk in ‘Slow’ mode during the firefights in the city. They should run or stay crouched / prone behind cover. This really ruins immersion.

Yeah I think I will change this to have them run only. Currently each civ has a firednear eventhandler that switches them to run/scream when fired near. I might just make them perma run.

enableEnvironment false?  Too many bunnies and butterflies around in the battlefield, snakes too. Annoys a little.

Good idea. I might try that out thanks :D didn't know it disables wildlife.

AI gets into the balconies without opening the door.

Usually they're pretty good and I generally see open doors where the AI ventures but I have seen them occasionally moving through doors instead of opening them. Adding resources to correct this would mean additional nearby door checks which if it happens only occasionally I'd prefer to avoid but I'll keep it in mind and see if there's an effective way of dealing with it.

The second squad got lost or something. I had no idea of their location, nor they did report anything. No tension created on that one.

You mean Hotel Bravo? They're an FIA squad (ie: they are friendly but not part of your group.) They will randomly patrol around the objective area looking for enemies and checking areas of last known enemy contacts. I might explore some more tension creating avenues for this and I might change the orders they're given as well.

Also, if possible, some small AI extraction script to order them to take cover or simply halt would be great. Or, better yet, make the player and captured AI a separate team that must link up with the remaining survivors.

Do you mean for your team to wait for you while you extract the hostage instead of heading back to the vehicle without waiting? I might look into that and see if I can sort something out. It will take me a little while to get on these things as I work on another mission and come back to this one every so often to update scripts and do repairs etc especially when I have new scripts that can replace older ones :)

• Like 1

Have updated the steam version of this mission. I have been super busy with work and overseas travel lately. The uploaded version had a fatal oversight that the large boat at start was to close to the smaller boats resulting in potential death at start. Have fixed this. Additionally have removed an awareness part of the script for friendly units which ws incompatible with another part of combat script resulting in units not moving as much as they should. Additionally have lowered enemy skill maximum random variable settings to decrease difficulty somewhat and have also added an FIA squad that will join the player's squad should his unit count to to low (IF they're still alive as they will aid you at the beach early on and then wait there to reinforce you if needed). This hopefully makes the mission a bit more enjoyable and easier to cope with. It certainly doesn't stop you from having to watch your back.

This mission had been a great help in testing some scripts I have been working on. It has also enabled me to identify major weaknesses and inefficiencies which I am attempting to address in a new more efficient script for future missions.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=532117787

• Like 1

Future missions. I like the sound of that :)