Sign in to follow this  
silvertip83

Experience WW2 Road Map

Update 13 Jun 15:

Alrighty folks, I've looked through the file structures and have a good understanding of what needs done. I've also decided in true modder fashion to create everything from the ground up. The content that exists is great but I would rather use that stuff as a reference and have original work than piggy back off existing content.

So it's off to modelling and scripting some weapons and anims. Does anyone know the preferred Tri count for weapon LOD's and typically how many LOD's are used in A3?

Lastly, a member recently posted on the forums calling my endeavors Band of Brothers In Arma.... I kinda like that way more than Experience 1944. Thanks for the great title idea midnight!

Update 08 Jun 15:

Wanted to chime in with an update as I've been doing some digging regarding existing WW2 content and the mods that are out there currently. I've decided to utilize the 1944 Liberation in A3 mod as base content. This will save time and allow me to rely on expertly crafted content from highly regarded developers already in the modding community.

I've also decided to change the title of the mod to Experience 1944. This is not only a hat tip to my inspiration, but a hat tip to the awesome content already created.

I will be testing the existing content, examining files, talking to devs, and figuring out a plan of attack for the coming months. Look for another update soon.

Original Post:

Howdy

I've been playing A3 since it was released as an alpha and have crafted a few personal scripts and have been dabbling in modding here and there. Since I've started playing, all I've wanted was a great WW2 experience harking back to the wonderful mod on Battlefield 1942 called Experience WW2.

A3's engine and toolset would be perfect for a mod set in this time period and I've yet to see a complete one. I know there was talk of a port of 1944 (amazing for A2) and there is that Liberation cross over (which was done quite well I might add) but what does not exist is a true to form mod that allows players to enjoy SP, COOP, or MP scenarios set throughout WW2.

I've been working on a roadmap for this mod's creation and would like to get the conversation going on here to see who would be interested in helping me make this a reality. I've got the coding background but am in need of a 3D modeler, terrain editor, sound guy(or gal), and animation.

To give you an idea of the goals:

Stage 1: Uniform Creation (Basic)

Stage 2: Weapon Creation (Basic)

Stage 3: Vehicle Creation (Basic)

Stage 4: 1 Map (Generic) with SP, COOP, & MP scenarios

Stage 5: Alpha Release

Stage 6: Uniform Finalization

Stage 7: Weapon Finalization

Stage 8: Vehicle Finalization

Stage 9: 1 Map (Battle Specific, voted on by community) with SP, COOP, & MP scenarios

Stage 10: Beta Release

From beta we will focus on each theater and expand on the missions involved for those in SP, COOP, and MP modes. The final release will culminate in changes to the main menu, music, and will feature a substantial operation list featuring great battles such as D-Day to Wake Island

This is ambitious and will take a lot of time and hard work but it can be achieved if we can come together and make it so.

Lofty Goals:

Carriers

Battleships

Submarines

Partnering with Alive to utilize their War Room functionality to track live campaigns

Opinions are welcome and I'd love to see this happen. Fingers crossed on modders willing to work together!

Edited by silvertip83
Progress Update 13 Jun 15

Great ideas hopefully you can get some assistance.. this type of thing is a LOT of work and will probably take years.

Interesting I've never heard of Experience WW2 and I was a huge fan/player of Forgotten Hope for BF2 (the biggest WWII mod for BF).

For ALiVE compatibility make sure you follow standard BIS convention for cfgGroups - see the ALiVE wiki for more info on this. With regards to maps ALiVE depends on detecting map infrastructure (civilian and military) so for best results be sure to include these assets in your map.

Yeah I'm hoping I can get some assistance or else it's going to be a long lonely road. I assumed with the amount of work required it will take at least 2 years till project completion.

Experience was an awesome mod but definitely over shadowed by Forgotten Hope which was amazing as well. Nice to meet another player from that era.

Thanks for the heads up on ALiVE. Definitely a ways off from that but good info regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The roadmap is completely generic... if you have the coding experience, why don't you start coding the things you have in mind, and make it work for the IF Port and start from there?

Talking from experience - mods starting with someone who made a big roadmap have very little chance of success. Showing some work gets people more interested then a big list of things they should do...

It's extremely generic, you're right. I crafted it up fairly quickly to try and give a large overview of what I'm going to accomplish and where I want to take it.

I've only begun working on stuff so as I progress I'll happily share screens and vids. My goal was to get the conversation started and see who if anyone at this point would like to dive in with me.

If you're interested in helping, have some tips, or just want to share ideas and brainstorm I'm all ears.

I was under the impression that I44 was put on indefinite hold due to devs working on other projects and life in general. I'll definitely check out the thread though and see who I can reach out to. I suppose the worst case scenario is getting permission to modify and port the entire mod over to A3 if no one from their side is working on it. Work smart not hard right?

Thanks for the info chains

I'll certainly do everything I can to make it a reality. Thanks for your support!

Glad to hear that you want to bring WWII content in to ARMA 3, I figure the best thing to do would be, like chains said, team up with the I44 team. I thought they were on hold with the project just as you did. But, it seems that's not the case now which is great news. :)

Edited by BravoM5
Grammar

Yeah I've got a message into them with no response yet. I'm going to assume I will have to work alone on this until I hear back. At the moment I'm examining existing files from I44 and the Liberation mod for examples of content and their creation methods.

Hopefully within the next month I can push out a solid weapon or two. (Coding will be easy, it's the modeling that will take some time)

I have sent you a PM regarding this project.

I am genuinely excited to see some WW2 stuff hitting ArmA 3 which the majority of the community will be able to use. I hope this really goes forward and becomes something big.

Awesome, I'll go check my inbox!

With people's growing interest and support it definitely can grow big. At the moment I'm working on modeling out some weapons so hopefully I'll have a content update soon.

You are not the only one that is bringing ww2 to Arma 3.

Our mod Hell in the pacific-A3 is doing the same and have been doing it since A3 released.

But it is pacific not Normandy so all good luck to you sir. :)

That's exciting! I intend to have a full theatre experience from Europe and Africa to the Pacific so I wish you luck as well sir!

If you're interested, we could team up and put our modding powers together?