dale0404

New terrain reveal - Tanoa

Would bet 1000 forum points and my avatar its Indonesia, it's perfect landscape for what BI likes. The numerous channels in fact will be used to placate the requests for lakes and rivers -tho I doubt they will placate them.

Bring on the monkeys!

monkey2_zpswtibpo7o.jpg

According to the actual role of OPFOR's CSAT, it is actually in fact a fictional Turkish force!

The "bad guys" speak Farsi not Turkish.

The CSAT forces on Altis have always been Iranian in the same way that NATO's TF Aegis is really just the Americans with a tiny bit of Brits sprinkled in. The original storylines prior to 2013 were also U.S.+ U.K. vs Iran, so I've got no clue as to where you got the idea that the CSAT forces on Altis are Turks.

I might be going over my head, but.. If Limnos (known in-game as "Altis) is held by Greece (which is technically Allied) then that must mean the island "Gökçeada" (In English for "Imbros"), EAST of Limnos and held by Turkey, could be in fact the actual island ArmA 3 are presenting for E3!

Altis is not apart of Greece. It is a country of its own (hence its official name being the "Republic of Altis and Stratis"). The closest thing to an official regional map of where Altis is located is in the campaign, and it is nowhere near Greece but is closer to Italy instead:

7WgEuKC.jpg

Also the devs have made it pretty clear that they won't be coming back to the Med for this terrain, so you can safely rule out the island having a Southern European-feel.

Well seeing as the ides of the mountains in the picture have lots of trees/foilage, it's gotta be somewhere green. There's water, so it's gotta be an island. It's not going to be Dry, as Altis/Stratis were very dry terrains. Judging by the stars, it has to be in the Southern Hemisphere. The Volcano, we have no way of telling if it's active, or old. I'm fairly certain, it's an old Volcano. One structure that they showed us looks modern, Urban style warehouse. Lets put this stuff together...

If we know that time, try other months. Maybe we'll find one at dark. We can look at all the dark times, and figure out which is most logical.

---------- Post added at 15:11 ---------- Previous post was at 15:09 ----------

365 days in the year. One of them is the date the picture was taken. June 16th isn't one of them, it's day time...

We can see the Crux(in the same orientation and height as it's on the countdown page) from Oct. till March from French Polynesia. From Indonesia basically never. When it's visible is't there is almost a 45deg rotated to right compared to the countdown source.

I think it should be between S17° - S26°. Everything below or under not fit in the shape. Btw would be great if somebody can confirm this, because i'm an amateur astronomer. :)

Edit: 2015 October - 2016 March is a possible release date range, right?

---------- Post added at 08:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

I think that sharp volcanic mountain in the center can be in the background far from the front rounded ones. And it doesn't necessary will be an island.

I think that sharp volcanic mountain in the center can be in the background far from the front rounded ones. And it doesn't necessary will be an island.

True. But it's still not very high volcano so likely way under 1000m, I guess likely max 700m high. But I bet it's an island, because that way they get the underwater elevations easily and they don't need to make those by hand.

We can see the Crux(in the same orientation and height as it's on the countdown page) from Oct. till March from French Polynesia. From Indonesia basically never. When it's visible is't there is almost a 45deg rotated to right compared to the countdown source.

I think it should be between S17° - S26°. Everything below or under not fit in the shape. Btw would be great if somebody can confirm this, because i'm an amateur astronomer. :)

Edit: 2015 October - 2016 March is a possible release date range, right?

Yes. That is a great possible release date. It's sighte for late 2015, possible early 2016 if they end up holding it back, which is probably the more ideal situation.

True. But it's still not very high volcano so likely way under 1000m, I guess likely max 700m high. But I bet it's an island, because that way they get the underwater elevations easily and they don't need to make those by hand.

Not only that, but most volcano's are in island chains as well.

Maybe slightly off-topic, but what can we realistically expect from the new terrain, apart from the location? Would the ArmA 3 engine support jungle? Can we expect larger towns? Furniture? How large could the map be? Is Altis the most you can get out of the game without large FPS drops?

Maybe slightly off-topic, but what can we realistically expect from the new terrain, apart from the location? Would the ArmA 3 engine support jungle? Can we expect larger towns? Furniture? How large could the map be? Is Altis the most you can get out of the game without large FPS drops?

Yes. Silvador can support any kind of foliage.

I really would love some dense island jungle. In fact, there is one map that has a shocking amount of brush and dense forest. It's called New Heaven, and runs in Breaking Point. I get great frames on that map surprisingly for it's size and large dense forests.

From playing on some user made dense jungle maps of Vietnam I found it quite boring after a while looking at the same textures and models without a break, also AI completely dominated in the denseness, but I'm sure BI would get the mix right, after all their AI needs to be able to navigate it in vehicles also.

How large could the map be? Is Altis the most you can get out of the game without large FPS drops?

Altis took them something like 3 years to make. There's a SITREP from November 2014 that says they were beginning 'pre-production' on the expansion terrain, so I wouldn't expect it to be anywhere near the size of Altis. Frankly though, I'd be happy with something the size of Chernarus.

Well given they said "new large" terrain, I hope it's at least the size of Altis. Anything smaller wouldn't really feel good after being fed such a large map, it would feel like I didn't get as much. However, I would be more that happy for an Archipelago with lots of big main islands with forests and mountains with smaller clusters out and around. Would make for epic gameplay possibilities.

Takistan was smaller than Cherna and I don't remember too much fuss. Personally If the map is the size of either I'd be happy.

Nope, the stars are from the Southern Hemisphere. So no Mediterranean.

Finally, I can navigate using the in game stars based on real world experience :)

Edited by ceeeb

Takistan was smaller than Cherna and I don't remember too much fuss. Personally If the map is the size of either I'd be happy.

Yeah I remember a lot of people liked it.

It is/was (not sure now) more performance friendly than Chernarus (especially around the time it was released). :)

You know, i actually wouldn't mind French Polynesia. I mean... Look at it.

French_Polynesia_Moorea_aerial_photo_9ab26f03f6dc4fcd9e6c94e680687c49.jpg

But it one thing is for sure (Naval assets. Plox. Super plox)

You know, i actually wouldn't mind French Polynesia. I mean... Look at it.

http://www.willgoto.com/images/Size3/French_Polynesia_Moorea_aerial_photo_9ab26f03f6dc4fcd9e6c94e680687c49.jpg

But it one thing is for sure (Naval assets. Plox. Super plox)

By the looks of that Island, the DEVS might have to redesign the whole engine for soldier movement, just sayin :p

By the looks of that Island, the DEVS might have to redesign the whole engine for soldier movement, just sayin :p

And add some climbing gear too,that mountains are so cool i wouldn't mind one map like that .

fine by me. Just have them go on roads as usual, add water routes, and if they are tasked to go offroad, have them disembark, and go on foot. =D

---------- Post added at 15:20 ---------- Previous post was at 15:18 ----------

And add some climbing gear too,that mountains are so cool i wouldn't mind one map like that .

There was actually one mountain in Sarhani that was un reachable by foot. So it's not too far fetched. In fact, they could add in cliff side roads to add flavor or more interesting gameplay. There's no fun in keeping it safe, honestly.

Jungle was possible since OFP (RV1) and VBS3 (RV4, same as A3) footage shows dense jungle environments. Better question how AI would handle the path finding and enemy spotting in such environments. For larger towns you had Zargabad in OP Arrowhead (A2) and Seattle in ToH (RV3), but again question about AI handling the environment and performance (with DX12 support and better multi core utilization could be fast enough). Furniture was fully possible and present in OFP, the lack of it in A3 is simply a design decision (so that AI don't get stuck in it... ;) ). You could have a really large map but the trade off would be less detail and more barren spaces (see 'Australia island' addon/mod for A3 that is 1600 square kilometers in size).

Edited by noob1

In fact I'd probably rather have a few islands, one at least the size of Stratis, than a full Altis one. Different islands add more gameplay and options (scuba diving, amphibious assaults, helo assaults, etc.)

In fact I'd probably rather have a few islands, one at least the size of Stratis, than a full Altis one. Different islands add more gameplay and options (scuba diving, amphibious assaults, helo assaults, etc.)

Assault by heli is done to death. It's all we've seen since Arma series began. However, large scale Ambibious and Naval landings? Not so much. But a map with a series of islands should Guarentee naval assets. (Well, at least it should) No, and I don't mean big ships either. But anyhow, enough speculation. I suppose BIS has done a good enough job for us to have no choice but to wait for the reveal.

It could be part of Africa, similar to the Ugandan terrain shown in

. There is some precedent, as Altis was shown in
back in 2011.

EDIT: apologies for any ensuing talk of VBS features such as rivers etc.