dale0404

New terrain reveal - Tanoa

Hence pretty much my interpretation of oukej's remarks being that they're working to achiev this for Tanoa but also that the focus is basically all on Tanoa, with none (intended to be) spared for Altis and Stratis in this regard.

@DarkSideSixOfficial: In that case, I wonder how BISim implemented it for the VBS3 C-27J?

I heard it's handled in a super hacky way... At least, that's what i heard for VBS2... But, that... Look so solid... O.o

But that appears to only handle the Man-Class, that could be super useful in Arma, considering the rest is all already handled by PhysX in regards to vehicles (except air) on other moving vehicles. So, i wonder how well it handle's vehicles inside the cargo compartment, i reckon the same way, it's VBS, they probably invented a new way to do it in engine.

I heard it's handled in a super hacky way... At least, that's what i heard for VBS2... But, that... Look so solid... O.o
Pretty much this -- I mean, "handled in a super hacky way" has seemed to be a semi-official reason for Bohemia not to do a bunch of stuff, which I get... so what the hell changed here?

This is unlike VBS2, whose implementation of underground structures was written off in the same way, I believe by Dwarden, but we've not seen since what VBS3's implementation is like instead... although the VBS2- and VBS3-corresponding Oxygen 2 manuals both specify the use of an Underground geometry LOD "which the engine uses to turn off both terrain rendering and terrain collisions."

I hope that BIS can achieve at least something of that scale for Naval craft. This would open up a thousand doors to possibilities that we all know would benefit the new map and any other map with water to come, for years. A dead part of Arma, finally brought to life... sigh.

I think i have a problem, i can't stop looking at Tanoa. XD It just looks so fucking good, and it's not even half finished yet.

Don't use up all your hype DarkSide, I need a steady stream of your posts for the next several months.

Yeah, something of that scale... problem is, we don't actually know what was done in VBS3 for that (or walking on moving ships) to work there, i.e. how it was any different than whatever modders/scripters in Arma 3 achieved besides looking that good. :p (Although, for once I found a seemingly-great explanation on setting up a paths LOD and in particular how crucial correct "modeling" of an object's paths LOD is to desirable AI behavior with regards to movement around/use-as-cover of said object.)

Also, these screens linked by CiforDayZ on Reddit (he's also posted some of them in the CUP_Terrains thread) in aggregate suggest that certain eventually-stable branch changes will mean that "bone stock A2 water sources in CUP_Terrains" can look as good as Tanoan water...

Yeah, something of that scale... problem is, we don't actually know what was done in VBS3 for that (or walking on moving ships) to work there, i.e. how it was any different than whatever modders/scripters in Arma 3 achieved besides looking that good. :p (Although, for once I found a seemingly-great explanation on setting up a paths LOD and in particular how crucial correct "modeling" of an object's paths LOD is to desirable AI behavior with regards to movement around/use-as-cover of said object.)

Also, these screens linked by CiforDayZ on Reddit (he's also posted some of them in the CUP_Terrains thread) in aggregate suggest that certain eventually-stable branch changes will mean that "bone stock A2 water sources in CUP_Terrains" can look as good as Tanoan water...

That's interesting... However, the Arma 2 ponds looked like that regardless. Hehe, the ocean was another story. But i guess it classifies as in between Arma 2, an Tanoa water graphics. For sure not as good as Tanoa though. =D

i really really really hope tanoa comes with a pair of pants.

the arma 3 pants have been reskinned like a trillion times...

i really really really hope tanoa comes with a pair of pants.

the arma 3 pants have been reskinned like a trillion times...

This. Lol, but given it's a wet, island environment... You may be out of luck. Hehe, i wouldn't mind seeing cargo pants, jeans, stuff like that would be cool. All terrain, and amphibious civilian vehicles, a proper SUV, like a nice range rover or something.

I wouldn't buy the expansion if it's not have straw sombrero! :yay:

Edit: Joking. :) Btw it would be awesome! :D

This. Lol, but given it's a wet, island environment... You may be out of luck. Hehe, i wouldn't mind seeing cargo pants, jeans, stuff like that would be cool. All terrain, and amphibious civilian vehicles, a proper SUV, like a nice range rover or something.

I wanna see rambo style bandanas. Shredded combat uniforms looking like wastecoats. Prorper jungle Gorilla Fighters

I wanna see rambo style bandanas. Shredded combat uniforms looking like wastecoats. Prorper jungle Gorilla Fighters

Gorilla Fighter....

763068_c5ef_625x1000.jpg

:p

Eww... shredded uniforms? Who were they fighting to even end up in shredded clothing? People have standards in 2035 man. =P

Bandanas are already in the game.

Aww dude, now you spoilt it!

Who were they fighting to even end up in shredded clothing?

Well gorillas obviously. Duh!

I bet that there will not be women on Tanoa too

Since one of the main motivations for Tanoa is making a terrain that is lush and green, and that the devs want to make a great rainforest, I'm hoping that they'll finally make things look wet when it rains. Or that the flora has some kind of varying specularity effect based on the weather conditions. I'm not really holding my breath for it, but it would really pump up the immersion.

Also, just an idea for the devs: I recall seeing a video of the Unreal engine editor, where there are basically these objects you can place anywhere you want that simulate water running off surfaces. So for example if you're making a mission in heavy rain, you can place these objects above roofs and doorways or on trees, and it looks like rainwater is cascading down from the object. I guess in the Unreal engine it's probably physics-based, but a simple particle effect that can be placed as a module would suffice. Just a thought.

Edited by 2nd Ranger

Yeah, I'm really curious about the fauna too. One of the particularities of the jungle is that is alive, and that some of its animals can be dangerous, making military campaigns a bit more tricky.

Yeah, I'm really curious about the fauna too. One of the particularities of the jungle is that is alive, and that some of its animals can be dangerous, making military campaigns a bit more tricky.

Considering currently all animals in A3 are currently broken in 1.46 (animation is stuffed, they dont move, only rotate.), I wouldn't be too hopeful.

A Predator mod would indeed be nice though :)

You know what would go hand in hand with that jungle? Heat stroke and dehydration :)

Considering currently all animals in A3 are currently broken in 1.46 (animation is stuffed, they dont move, only rotate.), I wouldn't be too hopeful.

Fixed in dev branch. Allegedly anyway, haven't tried it yet.