dale0404

New terrain reveal - Tanoa

No I mean, Altis and Stratis (short of the airport on Stratis) are both copy-and-paste - which is not for the other terrains.

So, I just say that maybe the new terrain is not a copy-and-paste from a real location, but only something inspired by IRL terrain.

I suppose you've never seen comparisons like this before? Or the A3 pre-annoucement ARG where someone from BI gave us Chernarus coordinates and someone went to find it IRL and found some A3 stuff.

3:07 ff. Ahhh, those good feelings with that beautiful tune.

Seems to me A2 Cherna is from the autumn season. :p

Speaking of which, how about a different look of the terrain in different seasons of the year? We haven't really seen that outside of addons/mods in an ArmA game. It's basically the same terrain the whole year which is funny given the time periods (no snow in winter period for example). Also autumn themes can look spectacular, here some Alaska in autumn. Going slightly off-topic here but it's a related subject.

Ooooooh, my bad...:butbut:

Didn't know it was also copy-and-paste for ArmA 2...

Never saw the comparison indeed...

:butbut:

3:07 ff. Ahhh, those good feelings with that beautiful tune.

The first transition after that point really drives it home. It's so smooth I had to watch it twice. :D

The first transition after that point really drives it home. It's so smooth I had to watch it twice. :D

That A2 song, whole Chernarus makes me sentimental, at that moment I somewhat miss ArmA 2, which I have deleted from my hard disk. I mean, we can have Cherna in A3 like the video maker does (he should have taken Summer Cherna, but maybe it didn't exist at that point), but it somewhat does feel not as comfortable, more harsh. I don't know. Graphics have more contrast, light is way more aggressive, something like this. What always annoys me, I think it wasn't in ArmA 2, is that players cast shadows even almost full cloud coverage.

I wonder how it feels if you know multiple thousands of gamers played war at your home and virtually know the area where you are living...

BTW I wish we would get some mountain+forest+snow terrain. Rockies. Or Norway. Or British Columbia.

Also I am wondering how complete the new terrain is. Because not too long ago they made this job offer here in the fora. I'm surprised they already show it soon.

Edited by tortuosit

@ tortuosit: Did you check if both Chernarus versions were using custom lighting? I remember that being one of the changes that helped Chernarus' feel compared to terrains that used the default lighting that had been meant for Altis/Stratis.

Not big enough I think.

Almost certainly one of those pacific islands, too many to choose from.

Shame though, as I think most people were looking forward to a terrain that would bring with it new environmental effects such as mud, snow, trenches etc. i.e. terrain deformation. Instead, sounds like we are getting tropical climate :( more palm trees and jungle which doesn't seem a good fit for Arma. Maybe BIS will utilize some of the VBS investment in sea state and develop more littoral based gameplay/assets and engine tech (ponds, lakes, streams, rivers, inlets etc), which would be welcomed just as much as the terrain deformation stuff.

The pessimist in me says that the DLC is focused on a new island, new props/buildings and possibly a new faction (with limited weapons and vehicles) rather than engine improvements :(

I think most people were looking forward to a terrain that would bring with it new environmental effects such as mud, snow, trenches etc. i.e. terrain deformation.

I don't think anybody is seriously expecting that. They'd be kidding themselves.

As for the Pacific, looking at some of the islands in Google earth, it could be quite cool. But I kind of hope it isn't the South Pacific. I don't really feel it would be different enough from Altis to warrant BIS's "something we've never done before" claim. A hot place with palm trees and beaches is still a hot place with palm trees and beaches no matter what style the ramshackle buildings are made in.

I kind of hope it isn't the South Pacific. I don't really feel it would be different enough from Altis to warrant BIS's "something we've never done before" claim. A hot place with palm trees and beaches is still a hot place with palm trees and beaches no matter what style the ramshackle buildings are made in.

The weather, fauna, flora, of the Mediterranean islands have nothing to do with the South Pacific one. :confused:

The Mediterranean is temperate dry.

The South Pacific is mainly tropical humid (with the exception of few areas in Australia).

koppen+-+climate.bmp

I'm kind of skeptical of the engines ability to render a Jungle with decent FPS, the Arma engine is notorious for lagging when objects are densely packed.

blah

It's still sunny with palm trees and nice beaches. Altis is sunny with palm trees and nice beaches. And what difference does humidity make to us in game? If BIS added some tech that made a 'wet' layer available to all materials to simulate humidity or rainfall, then it would make a difference to the ambience, particularly in tropical monsoon conditions. Otherwise it's not that different from Altis.

It's still sunny with palm trees and nice beaches. Altis is sunny with palm trees and nice beaches. And what difference does humidity make to us in game? If BIS added some tech that made a 'wet' layer available to all materials to simulate humidity or rainfall, then it would make a difference to the ambience, particularly in tropical monsoon conditions. Otherwise it's not that different from Altis.

The fact of being humid and tropical, it changes the kind of fauna and flora (aka animals & kinds of vegetation). So virtually changes how everything looks like.

In Sweden there's also nice beaches with palm trees (Helsingborg, Scania), but we will all agree that Scandinavia doesn't look at all like Greece:

146_4673red.jpg

snip

Altis is sunny and has palm trees and is brown. A South Pacific Island would also be sunny and have palm trees but it would be green. It's a huge difference

Altis is sunny and has palm trees and is brown. A South Pacific Island would also be sunny and have palm trees but it would be green. It's a huge difference

It's a little bit more than that... The trees are completely different. Same with the bushes, animals, geography, etc. It's like comparing Iceland with the Sahara desert... In fact in the Mediterranean palm-trees are quite scarce (and mainly imported from Africa).

South Pacific:

https://traveltheeworld.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/thailand-6.jpg (1892 kB)

Mediterranean:

http://www.dive1.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/ima_foto1629.jpg (145 kB)

I agree with you, I was just telling Ranger in the simplest way how different they would be even if they are both "sunny with palm trees and beaches".

I see the Southern Cross star formation in the screen shot.

It must be in the southern hemisphere

I don't think anybody is seriously expecting that. They'd be kidding themselves.

As for the Pacific, looking at some of the islands in Google earth, it could be quite cool. But I kind of hope it isn't the South Pacific. I don't really feel it would be different enough from Altis to warrant BIS's "something we've never done before" claim. A hot place with palm trees and beaches is still a hot place with palm trees and beaches no matter what style the ramshackle buildings are made in.

Well, I think when BI says "something we've never done before", it doesn't necessarily mean the terrain. Only the look of the terrain doesn't change game play. The basic rules of fire fighting are no difference whether you are in tropical islands or in the desert or in the snow. So I think if we expect something new, we'd better not seek it from the island.

Does anyone know if this is just an Island?or are we getting an Op.Arrowhead expansion?I feel A3 does not need a new terrain as urgently as it needs a lot of other things-non touristy civilians,female civilians,transport planes,PONDS!!, etc.With the AIATP and all the other high quality islands made by the community we are spoiled for choice in that regard,but sorely lacking in others.A3 feels funny with all these civilians strolling about in there shorts and little hats on there exclusively male war torn holiday camp....compared to grey grungy Chernarus with it's orthodox priests and hunters and tough looking women waiting for buses etc.

Bohemia confirmed "military vehicles, weapons, gear, characters, scenarios, and more" a week ago, it's just that the hype has centered on the terrain since its existence was confirmed for over a year now.

The pessimist in me says that the DLC is focused on a new island, new props/buildings and possibly a new faction (with limited weapons and vehicles) rather than engine improvements :(
*cough* Also known as content, for the features​ you want the corresponding free platform update (stable branch patch)...

We need children. Fallout 1 anyone? *beg*

Good for the marketing. Bohemia just needs to hire a few more press officers.

Bohemia confirmed "military vehicles, weapons, gear, characters, scenarios, and more" a week ago, it's just that the hype has centered on the terrain since its existence was confirmed for over a year now.*cough* Also known as content, for the features​ you want the corresponding free platform update (stable branch patch)...

Still gonna be a pessimist and say limited vehicles/weapons and faction updates.

Whereas I had no idea why you'd expect a DLC to be about engine improvements in the first place...