dale0404

New terrain reveal - Tanoa

You know what would go hand in hand with that jungle? Heat stroke and dehydration :)

Yup. In fact humans get dehydrated faster in the jungle than in the desert. But I fail to see how that would be reproduced in game hahaha

For the rest, rainforests are unpassable. If you want to go inside, you really need a machete. We didn't have one, so we walked only on the trails, but the mystery of what lies hidden in the middle of such forests is very exciting.

Hmmm, stay out of the forest. Check.

Would love to see a zip-line in some locations. Would be super awesome, we have the technology now, it just needs to be applied properly.

You know what would go hand in hand with that jungle? Heat stroke and dehydration :)

Ya combine with a medical system that simulates all that and we got a stew going.

Well, it looks like we can at least confirm there will be a campaign. I know some were skeptical if this terrain release would have one.

Plus, we are designing this map not only for use by our own developers, but for community content creators and their mods as well
We also expect that we'll need to add a few more key points at the request of our mission designers.

Is a campaign even needed ?

I would guess the vast vast vast majority of the arma community does not even bother with the campaign I know I have never personally even started the arma 3 campaign or the arma 2 campaigns.

Seems like a waste of time imo.

I would guess the vast vast vast majority of the arma community does not even bother with the campaign I know I have never personally even started the arma 3 campaign or the arma 2 campaigns.

Yes, a campaign is most definitely needed. Not only because most of the Arma campaigns were fun and entertaining, but to provide community authors with ideas, functions, assets, sounds, stories, animations, characters and more. I always took apart official content to learn from and to build upon. It doesn't even have to be a masterpiece of a campaign, just a set of best practices and a solid example to study (and enjoy). I don't really do MP and by that never played any of the official MP missions but I still think it's a good idea to have them in the game.

Yes, a campaign is most definitely needed.[/Quote]

+1 :D Although I recognise Arma has a huge multiplayer following, and that this is perhaps its essence, there are many, many thousands who enjoy the ever-unfolding story arc! Myself included!

---------- Post added at 18:08 ---------- Previous post was at 18:02 ----------

I must confess - just checked the global achievements - only a small percentage of the community have completed any of the campaign chapters :( Nevertheless, even 2-3% is still many hundreds of thousands. And as IndeedPete says, it's a huge resource for the thriving community! :) Sorry - getting off topic - Tanoa - yay! Very excited to see where this might go in the wider context of the existing narrative.

And i havent touched MP in ages. Speak for yourself.

And i havent touched MP in ages. Speak for yourself.

Tho I played MP even in OFP.(and still do twice a week in A3) the SP was the strong point of the series with OFP and OFP:R, in Arma 1 and 2it was half SP and half MP.

But with Arma 3, the SP is really strong once more, and BI guys did an incredible job with the missions and campaigns. Even if I hate the 2035 setting, the campaign and showcases were so good that made me forget it.

For me the SP content was the best of the vanilla A3.

So yeah I'm all for more and more SP :)

Edited by MistyRonin

Totally needed.

Don't generalize. A lot of people play SP - just watch how many people voted and supported the SP mods for the MANW.

Plus, a lot of people play almost SP.

As for me, I always play the SP missions, showcases and campaign before anything else in ArmA (or whatever game I play).

And bravo guys (IndeedPete, Kydoimos, Nemesis, MistyRonin...) for defending the SP commuity, I expected nothing less from you all ;)

TANOA and entire A3 need females girls womens its so homofobic now lol no offence hehe

Yes, a campaign is most definitely needed. Not only because most of the Arma campaigns were fun and entertaining, but to provide community authors with ideas, functions, assets, sounds, stories, animations, characters and more. I always took apart official content to learn from and to build upon. It doesn't even have to be a masterpiece of a campaign, just a set of best practices and a solid example to study (and enjoy). I don't really do MP and by that never played any of the official MP missions but I still think it's a good idea to have them in the game.

I too learned a good amount from the library of BIS functions, and I'm sure they weren't coded in a void, they were coded for a specific purpose, such as a campaign mission.

Of course a campaign is needed!Arma left completely to MP is a bad idea-we end up with gimmicky crap like Life and DayZ because not enough people can find serious gruops that play the way the game requires.And saying the majority of the community does not bother with the campaign is simply not true.I have done some checking into this and (anecdotally) the amount of people who have played A2 or A3 or both campaigns is way up there.Roughly 70% actually. The official stuff gives mission makers new ideas and techniques for building Sp or Co-op MP missions.I am nearing 1000 hours on A3 and almost all of that is SP,although I do enjoy small scale co-op aswell but I cannot stand MP public servers.They are a waste of time in my opinion.

---------- Post added at 02:05 ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 ----------

Arma 3 is in desperate need of female npc's.And at least a better variety of clothes so that when trying to make a scenario in what is meant to be a conflict zone,we don't have tourists in shorts and sandals strolling around looking for their hotel....because thats what it looks like now.

---------- Post added at 02:07 ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 ----------

TANOA and entire A3 need females girls womens its so homofobic now lol no offence hehe

not quite the right choice of words,but A3 really does need female civilians and military

@ineptaphid: While I can't guarantee success at a more "diverse" and "authentic" variety of assets (i.e. clothing) and characters, at least the Expansion development is almost certainly better resourced than the base game's.

By the way, look real close at some of the images in the interview with the Environment Designers and you'll see two hints of what some of Tanoa may look like, one being a street and one an aerial view.

Maybe it's a bit too early to speak about it, but seems that this time they chose quality over quantity.

I mean with Altis they were really tight on time, they were still adding some final assets a year ago (stadium and hotel); it feels huge but empty.

Maybe it's a bit too early to speak about it, but seems that this time they chose quality over quantity.

I mean with Altis they were really tight on time, they were still adding some final assets a year ago (stadium and hotel); it feels huge but empty.

Altis feels exactly the it looks in real life. That's why i absolutely love Altis. But, this Tanoa contrast looks even better, probably due to the new water effects though. The combination of Archipelago, lush green, and water reflection with new coast water effects is perfection.

i hope that will be more than a "editor tour" hahahahahah

Altis feels exactly the it looks in real life. That's why i absolutely love Altis. But, this Tanoa contrast looks even better, probably due to the new water effects though. The combination of Archipelago, lush green, and water reflection with new coast water effects is perfection.

You mean the huge white domes and the towers? :p

I know how Mediterranean landscapes look like, I lived in them for more than a dozen years. But they choose a big empty island over more interesting little islands with more possibilities (tho they added more stuff than in the real island). For example Stratis gives way more gameplay.

Altis is awesome I never feel alone there so cool atmosphere love it

---------- Post added at 22:33 ---------- Previous post was at 22:24 ----------

I hope there will be good ai patchfinding becouse CTI is only way how I play arma since OFP v 1.2 or that version where bis add hmmwv and vulcan lol . Tanoa little scary me whith that splitted island will be ai able to travel acros entire tanoa?

I hope there will be good ai patchfinding becouse CTI is only way how I play arma since OFP v 1.2 or that version where bis add hmmwv and vulcan lol . Tanoa little scary me whith that splitted island will be ai able to travel acros entire tanoa?
There's at least one small island in northwest Altis, and before that one small island in the southeast of Chernarus, so it's not a unprecedented thing.

This is my biggest concern also, will the AI be able to move from island to island when required without having to use mods and script work arounds, this especially for large dynamic missions as you mention including Alive but also just in general.

This is my biggest concern also, will the AI be able to move from island to island when required without having to use mods and script work arounds, this especially for large dynamic missions as you mention including Alive but also just in general.
See what I said in the post right before yours -- it's a task that AI could have had to do in Arma 2's Chernarus and on Altis if a mission maker actually utilized those small islands -- that is to say, both maps aren't 100% unitary land mass-and-water -- so how effective or not is the AI at doing so in the respective games? I suppose the "unique" challenge that you two have in mind is how well it'll work on islands where the division of land mass is much closer to per-island parity... although it will almost certainly come down to how the AI handles amphibious ground vehicles, boats, and helicopters. (Note that the previously-specified over-100-square-kilometers was confirmed by DarkDruid to be land mass, which doesn't hint at how sizable the full terrain including surface and underwater locations will be, but whatever the answer is I'm guessing that rare will be the case when a Tanoan waterway can simply be forded.)

although it will almost certainly come down to how the AI handles amphibious ground vehicles, boats, and helicopters.

Skalisty island on Chernaraus for example, AI has no concept of crossing the water if a way point requires that, it would be great if AI were to receive some type of knowledge update on transport and how to utilize it.

Skalisty island on Chernaraus for example, AI has no concept of crossing the water if a way point requires that, it would be great if AI were to receive some type of knowledge update on transport and how to utilize it.
That's going to be key in my book -- then again, this is the first terrains where it'll be needed to such a degree, as it may presumably be the least disparity island sizes on a single terrain since Malden and "Training Island" (totalling up 57 square kilometers of land mass according to Moricky) all the way back in Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis/Arma: Cold War Assault; all other non-OA terrains (OA being the only time we didn't get coastlines at all) in Bohemia Interactive's official history have had the primary island take up an overwhelming percentage of the total land mass.

I mean, I can hope that the AI will at least get the concept of swimming across -- as laughable as that sounds, I don't recall Bohemia implementing an eventual inability to swim due to fatigue, so there's no plausible reason to expect that AI wouldn't be similarly capable -- but of course it's preferable that AI be able to utilize the aforementioned vehicles for crossings.

I mean, I can hope that the AI will at least get the concept of swimming across -- as laughable as that sounds, I don't recall Bohemia implementing an eventual inability to swim due to fatigue, so there's no plausible reason to expect that AI wouldn't be similarly capable -- but of course it's preferable that AI be able to utilize the aforementioned vehicles for crossings.

I just tried by placing an AI on Skalisty and giving him a waypoint to Chernarus, he ran to what i think was the closest point and stood there as if to say 'no way buddy' :D - i did also place an empty assault boat on the coastline and gave him a getin closest waypoint and a getout waypoint to the mainland and he did it first attempt which surprised me as usually its a ton of trial and error to get the waypoints right to enable them to do this correctly, but thats an assault boat with a single unit, try a group and they unload into the water and they get a bit disorientated, id hate to see the chaos with any form of landing craft.

In order to get it right i wouldnt even mind some option of just teleporting them out of the craft and on to land, and just skip the whole getout/unload process in its current form, it may not look pretty but watching them walk around in circles under water is disheartening also, anyway it will be interesting to see what the terrain actually consists of and if anything might be added to improve this area.