dale0404

New terrain reveal - Tanoa

The logistics are pretty irrelevant.

For now. But when you think about a Combined Arms Sandbox, sometimes they cannot opporate without one another. This is the strength of Arma. There are situations that make logistics a perfection in this game, and I've seen it in action first hand. I'm not going into a story here, but without logistics, the game is just another FPS with unique shooting mechanics.

I'm not going into a story here, but without logistics, the game is just another FPS with unique shooting mechanics.

That's a really bold statement, that IMHO it's completely false.

The main point of OFP / Arma games is to be military pseudorealistic Sandbox.

- - -

I personally like the additions on the logistics side, like the sling load on the Helo DLC, but OFP / Arma games have never had a strong logistics system.

But I would love connector ships, like Hovercraft to move ground assets from island to island. Also some little corvette or missile ships for some little naval fight and as support for the ground element.

That's a really bold statement, that IMHO it's completely false.

The main point of OFP / Arma games is to be military pseudorealistic Sandbox.

I personally like the additions on the logistics side, like the sling load on the Helo DLC, but OFP / Arma games have never had a strong logistics system.

But I would love connector ships, like Hovercraft to move ground assets from island to island. Also some little corvette or missile ships for some little naval fight and as support for the ground element.

- - - that stuff is cool for additions to a dead side of Arma, Naval assets, but I was referring to his statement about how Logistics isn't important, when it is. Of course logistics isn't dead, but the whole Sling Load thing hasn't been as used as much as most would think. That of course, doesn't mean it's addition was pointless, because it's not. It's important, and that's why we have it. However, logistics isn't as alive, as it should be.

I mean, the only way to transfer an ammo crate live in mission is by taking everything out of the crate, transferring it via. Gear, and leaving it vulnerable to Arma weathering. Somehow, that vehicle is going to end up on fire, trust me. But, that's not all, as you said, without amphibious support, something like a vehicle transport would be essential too. The only way we can perform logistics though, is by Rotory Wing. This needs to be expanded upon though. I want Arma to feel semi realistic again, but still fun. I mean it's alright now, but some things just don't immerse as much as it should. A lot of things exist to look good, but not as much stuff to actually function or interact with. It doesn't feel as Interactive and Bohemia thinks it does.

I don't think anyone can say there won't be bridges. We've been told the artists rushed to make parts of the island presentable. Bridges could easily be on their roadmap (heh pun) but they were not essential for the preview video and so are not included (they may not have a finished model for one yet). Concluding there are no bridges based on a short preview video of an unfinished island is quite hasty.

Of course as I said before I hope more attention is given to amphibious and water craft/logistics regardless of bridges.

It doesn't feel as Interactive and Bohemia thinks it does.

Mmm... I see what you did there... :thumb_down:

Well, I like the sling load feature, and with my sim group we use it often, mainly when we have to cross the Island to engage a target and it would take us half an hour to get there, we airlift the vehicles. But yeah, I agree that an archipelago would multiply that for a lot of times. Moving assets from one island to the other is gonna be outstanding (be it by sea or air).

What would be a dream to me, is to be able to move a container from a helo to a truck, and then move the truck with a ship, and stuff like that.

On the other side what IMHO kills the immersion in A3 for one side is the futuristic domes and weird towers, the lack of a more realistic fauna, the emptiness of the buildings and the lack of civilian stuff (specially females, or non-tourist).

I don't think anyone can say there won't be bridges.

Unless its a little bridge between two real close islands, I see it not much feasible. Cyclones would erase them, besides they cut the naval traffic, which would be quite of an issue in islands that usually live by the sea.

Mmm... I see what you did there... :thumb_down:

Well, I like the sling load feature, and with my sim group we use it often, mainly when we have to cross the Island to engage a target and it would take us half an hour to get there, we airlift the vehicles. But yeah, I agree that an archipelago would multiply that for a lot of times. Moving assets from one island to the other is gonna be outstanding (be it by sea or air).

What would be a dream to me, is to be able to move a container from a helo to a truck, and then move the truck with a ship, and stuff like that.

On the other side what IMHO kills the immersion in A3 for one side is the futuristic domes and weird towers, the lack of a more realistic fauna, the emptiness of the buildings and the lack of civilian stuff (specially females, or non-tourist).

Unless its a little bridge between two real close islands, I see it not much feasible. Cyclones would erase them, besides they cut the naval traffic, which would be quite of an issue in islands that usually live by the sea.

Good points. When I said that there are no bridges, I was right, for now. As someone mentioned earlier, I didn't really make clear that in the beginning of the video it stated that was an early pre alpha development of the map. Who knows, maybe they'll add certain kinds of bridges where the traffic can go under. Or you know what'd be awesome? Interactive bridges. But then again, we know how BIS is with AI. So it'd probably be safer for them to just create Amphibious assets. =D

On another note, I understand EXACTLY what you mean about the domes and towers. I hate them too. I hate the CSAT uniform even more. Lol, but seriously, at least Tanoa was planned for Arma 3, and I hope we don't get to see anymore Alien inspired bull crap, and I doubt we will. Tanoa is too amazing to ruin it. The make shit structures look good, but I wouldn't mind a bit more modern buildings, maybe lit up signs. Kinda like a modern Archipelago, a small Rio De Janeiro, or Shanghai, if you will. Of course though, while keeping the buildings enterable, like the ones in Kavala with the glass doors. We need more variety of large buildings like that, with different themes. I felt like the same building was repeated far too much, and in a very bland way, including placement. But seeing the water reflection in unison with the multiple islands and buildings, makes it look great! Like a real island. I have hope this will be the best Arma installation, yet.

I must be one of the few who actually likes CSAT and the current Altis map.

I must be one of the few who actually likes CSAT and the current Altis map.

Nah, I'm with you there as well.

Apart from copy/pasta (which is a general problem with the game in my view and not specific to CSAT), I get rid of the silly hats and they're pretty good.

I prefer their shooters to the MX series and they have a better voice protocol than english/American forces imo.

Altis is a really good map, with interesting terrain (especially up north). I think a lot of missions are placed in really obvious areas (like the airport and Kavala) which doesn't really interest me, but there's a lot of good fighting ground to be found if you look off the beaten path.

Nah, I'm with you there as well.

Apart from copy/pasta (which is a general problem with the game in my view and not specific to CSAT), I get rid of the silly hats and they're pretty good.

I prefer their shooters to the MX series and they have a better voice protocol than english/American forces imo.

Altis is a really good map, with interesting terrain (especially up north). I think a lot of missions are placed in really obvious areas (like the airport and Kavala) which doesn't really interest me, but there's a lot of good fighting ground to be found if you look off the beaten path.

I agree. The only thing I hate about CSAT is their old out dated Uniform, that looks like a baggy space suit. Aside from that, they're awesome. The KH-2002 is one of my fav rifles as well, in terms of design. Looks hot.

I love Altis also, hell I still like making missions on Stratis.. the domes are one of my favourite buildings and are a very distinct feature that fits the scene nicely and in terms of gameplay I.e. Shooting, the terrain is mostly nicely broken up, maybe a bit ahead of it's time in terms of size relating to performance for the average user?

As mentioned the CSAT helmets and alien wear is just too over the top for the rest of the setting, also the FIA could have been fleshed out a bit more, surely there's opportunity for DLC packs in the future to give more life to the setting... Even a civilian vehicle pack could give the place a bit more life, also more variety in clothing for civilian and military.

Just because I love Atlhis, doesn't mean I hate Tanoa. It's a terrain type that BI haven't given us in 14 years and that means variety.

I don't mind the CSAT uniform. At a time when we complain of copy/paste, the CSAT uniform could have been a lot worse.

@Altis, so you like Altis. To tell you the truth I didn't expect less hahaha (nick) :rolleyes:

Personally I like Altis, it's quite atmospheric, specially for me that I lived in the Mediterranean coast for a good amount of years, but the sci-fi compounds with domes and metallic towers kill my immersion.

On the CSAT uniform, IMHO the worst thing is the "metallic" neck and strange machine in the back in addition to the tube that comes from the helmet and the extended glasses. The helmet itself is not that bad, and the uniform is quite interesting.

Yeah i just couldnt think of a name at the time, nothing to do with the fact that i like the terrain, thats just added bonus :)

Not sure if the latest Sitrep has been mentioned yet but looks like there wont be any special Naval units and with it being 'based' on Fiji i wonder if the Fijian military might be represented in some way?

• We consider the terrain to be geotypical Fiji, but it's not an exact recreation of that real-world location (it's a mix of various satellite heightmaps, so not geospecific). We'll be further discussing our motivations for this (awesome) setting later.
  • A new fixed-wing aircraft and a waterscooter will be part of the expansion. But fear not; the focus remains military. We're just not ready to reveal those vehicles, weapons and characters yet.
  • You can see work-in-progress water reflections, improved shoreline effects and enhanced overall lighting configuration. These technologies and features will arrive to everyone, and to the existing Arma 3 terrains. These are also not all features coming alongside the expansion! We'll discuss more and more as the year goes on.
  • Most of the audio is not yet from in-game recordings, but it gives an impression of how we want to push the soundscape further, especially in terms of ambient audio. The goal is to deeply immerse you in our "green hell"!
  • As the opening disclaimer points out: the terrain is still in the middle of production. Many of the objects you see in the distance are early placeholders. We're very happy that it already looks and feels this good now!

looks like there wont be any special Naval units...
Not sure where you're getting that from.

looks like there wont be any special Naval units

What makes you reach that conclusion?

In fact all seems to point the opposite, from the comments that this time the exploration would be different than what we are used (driving & flying), that the water will have importance:

Walk, swim, drive, fly, and sail your way across over 100 km² of the South Pacific archipelago.
Not sure if the latest Sitrep has been mentioned yet but looks like there wont be any special Naval units and with it being 'based' on Fiji i wonder if the Fijian military might be represented in some way?

Geotypical Fiji but it's not Fiji.

It's gonna be a country created from scratch but with some things shared with the countries of the area.

In fact judging by the video and screens and the background they mentioned (invaded in WW2 by Japan and later liberated by the USMC), it all seems to point more to the Solomon islands or specifically Bougainville.

For instance Fiji doesn't have big mines, not has been known for minerals (more for coconut and sugar), and it was not invaded by Japan (nor needed liberation).

Oh, and Bougainville is geotypical Fiji, has a big mine that provoked the most important war in the area for the last 50 years, and yeah it was both invaded and liberated in WW2... -> Bougainville Campaign.

Well i guess the way i read it its completely fictional but geotypical Fiji which gives them liberty to create and add what ever they want, fair point on the Naval assets, i shouldn't jump to conclusions so early in the mix.

On the CSAT uniform <snip> strange machine in the back in addition to the tube that comes from the helmet <snip>

I assume it's a microclimate control system, there's been a few prototypes in testing, and firefighters use them on the field already afaik.

I assume it's a microclimate control system, there's been a few prototypes in testing, and firefighters use them on the field already afaik.

Uhm, but why would Iranians need a micro-climate control system in a Mediterranean Climate area? It's not like if they are not used to semi-arid climates...

That's even more absurd having in mind that it would be quite problematic when advancing on prone (that tube could get entangled on some branches, barbed wire, etc.)

Uhm, but why would Iranians need a micro-climate control system in a Mediterranean Climate area?

Not sure if serious ... :fry:

Uhm, but why would Iranians need a micro-climate control system in a Mediterranean Climate area? It's not like if they are not used to semi-arid climates...

That's even more absurd having in mind that it would be quite problematic when advancing on prone (that tube could get entangled on some branches, barbed wire, etc.)

You're overanalyzing it. :p

It's clearly a storytelling/visual tool to illustrate how advanced/high-tech the CSAT is. To the point that every soldier is issued one and it's no big deal for them. Wherever they go, each individual can keep comfortable temperature. It's slightly chilly in the night outside? Dial it up a few degrees, etc.

While the "low-tech" NATO deals with that by letting their guys wear short/no sleeves and lug hydration packs.

Edited by Sniperwolf572

I assume the CSAT got sort of Liquid body armor suit , protects the whole body - which also got micro-climate control system to control the suit temp

In Greece, they have a very hot summer so that's why they use that , without such climate system would fry your skin in that body suit

Also BIS wanted something cool and scifi as the enemy , so they designed that - without thinking how it can be useful in the battle tho

Edited by RobertHammer

It's clearly a storytelling/visual tool to illustrate how advanced/high-tech the CSAT is.

Yeah I know that is a visual "storytelling" resource, tho a really poor one. Of course that it may had been developed for the Star Wars like game that then turned into the Arma 3 we know.

It's just looks really silly IMHO.

When I was serving in the military I had to be for weeks in a Mediterranean base close to Africa in summer, and I wore full uniform with jacket and so on, without any big issue.

Nowadays military uniforms allow perspiration and keep you warm during the night.

In my opinion the creative direction of A3 had some important flaws. Heck, Gears of War's soldier's gear make more sense.

Also BIS wanted something cool and scifi as the enemy , so they designed that - without thinking how it can be useful in the battle tho

I agree. I don't really mind sci-fi stuff as long as it's coherent. Same with fantasy worlds (LOTR being one of the most coherent).

When I was serving in the military I had to be for weeks in a Mediterranean base close to Africa in summer, and I wore full uniform with jacket and so on, without any big issue.

Were you in combat?

It doesn't matter if you're used to hot climate, hyperthermia is dangerous and you will get it in hot temperatures after prolonged physical stress, there's no denying MCCS is combat effective in hot environments.

edit: I'm getting off-topic, sorry.

Edited by CaptainObvious

I feel bad for anyone that doesn't support Naval assets on Tanoa... I feel kinda bad for you. I mean, since it's an archipelago, and there are no bridges, either you better be a good pilot, or a fast swimmer. =)

Nations in the Archipelago have a lot of boats, and for obvious reasons. Not having boats in an Archipelago, is much like not having cars in a Metropolis.

I feel bad for anyone that doesn't support Naval assets on Tanoa... I feel kinda bad for you. I mean, since it's an archipelago, and there are no bridges, either you better be a good pilot, or a fast swimmer. =)

Nations in the Archipelago have a lot of boats, and for obvious reasons. Not having boats in an Archipelago, is much like not having cars in a Metropolis.

You really love the Navy don´t you? I can understand it though, I´m too :yay: