dale0404

New terrain reveal - Tanoa

It's called Russian Escalation for a reason.

It's not called Russian Escalation haha. Escalation (alone) was the RHS entry for the MANW contest that precisely meant both Russian and US mods all in one.

What is RHS: Escalation and why can't I find it on this site?

Escalation is the name given to the collective mod when running RHS: AFRF and RHS:USAF together. If you download and run both then you have Escalation installed. We no longer distribute both mods in one package as they are no longer dependent on each other.

Source: RHS Official website F.A.Q

- - -

Something I have been wondering for a while, will RHS ever expand to other nations? Ex. China, UK, etc?

No one knows the future. What I can assure you is that right now China and UK are nor planned nor even considered.

Edited by MistyRonin

I think it will be good, it's been a good job so far.

It's not called Russian Escalation haha. Escalation (alone) was the RHS entry for the MANW contest that precisely meant both Russian and US mods all in one.

Oh, ahaha, ok. =D

Misty tricked you into making a post where you didn't mention your navy fetish. hehe.

Misty tricked you into making a post where you didn't mention your navy fetish. hehe.

LOL, darn, got me there! Well, then again, i'm actually busy playing the Arma 3 Campaign in search of Easter Eggs, and further un-found stories.

Aside from the side missions, they talk about the South Pacific a-lot, in fact, one mentioned that he was supposed to be "Drafted" to the Pacific. Draft? Then again, since he's already in the military, i imagine that since everyone on Stratis and Altis were preparing to leave for the Pacific in the first place, and he ended up being one of the guys to stay and help de-militarize the place, but got caught up in the AAF - NATO conflict.

I'd love to see something more unconventional in terms of factions, I know it can never happen but personally I'm bored to death with ole Boris and Billy joe and with a setting like this it would be a great opportunity to see something similar on the lines of Ice Breakers factions for Lingor as in some South American inspired factions.. Something different, just not CSAT alien different.

LOL, darn, got me there! Well, then again, i'm actually busy playing the Arma 3 Campaign in search of Easter Eggs, and further un-found stories.

Aside from the side missions, they talk about the South Pacific a-lot, in fact, one mentioned that he was supposed to be "Drafted" to the Pacific. Draft? Then again, since he's already in the military, i imagine that since everyone on Stratis and Altis were preparing to leave for the Pacific in the first place, and he ended up being one of the guys to stay and help de-militarize the place, but got caught up in the AAF - NATO conflict.

So have you found the seismic map that shows you exactly where Altis/Stratis are located geographically? Keeping in mind that they are not in the real life location of Lemnos.

As for Tanoa, I'm pumped for a new terrain of the same quality of Altis. Going back to older maps via the All in Arma map pack is good in short bursts but the age of those maps shows.

I'd love to see more destruction with objects and buildings. I'm so sick of my tanks getting caught on the simplest thing. Imagine the awesomeness of seeing a tank crashing through a brick wall, debris flying around and what not. Allow us to smash or destroy smaller objects like sandbags or boxes.

Btw, not really related but the next April Fools joke has got to be Dino DLC. :P

I'd love to see more destruction with objects and buildings. I'm so sick of my tanks getting caught on the simplest thing. Imagine the awesomeness of seeing a tank crashing through a brick wall, debris flying around and what not. Allow us to smash or destroy smaller objects like sandbags or boxes.

Btw, not really related but the next April Fools joke has got to be Dino DLC. :P

I fear that this map won't offer much gameplay for tanks at all.

I'm sure BIS will be able to work in possibilities for a ton of gameplay, especially for something quite essential and simple like tanks.

Well,BI devs said that A3 will be focused mainly on infantry combat. And a Pacific Archipelago it's the perfect place for infantry.

Tho tanks can be used as support for infantry in the jungle, like in Vietnam or in the French Bocage in WW2.

Thank god you have Altis for that... im really excited about getting a green terrain :cool:

Will there be a Tanoa-Beta in 2015? Or even an Alpha even earlier within this year?

The video at least looks quite playable. The new vehicles (civilian little airplane in the video, that speed-boat thing on a screenshot) seem to be awesome, but in my opinion they could be handed in later, if this speeds up the release of the map itself.

Holy shit, BI, you can't release this video and tell us that we have to wait seven (?) months!

Actually the trailer that you have saw was area where artists/modelers, focused under time pressure because they didn't intend

to attend pcgamer conference but when they saw opportunity they jumped on it.

Source: http://dev.arma3.com/post/sitrep-00111

I think this sentiment suffers from Chicken Little Syndrome. The majority of the terrain may not be plains and fields, but that doesn't mean there won't be a place for tanks and other armor.

Will there be a Tanoa-Beta in 2015? Or even an Alpha even earlier within this year?

The video at least looks quite playable. The new vehicles (civilian little airplane in the video, that speed-boat thing on a screenshot) seem to be awesome, but in my opinion they could be handed in later, if this speeds up the release of the map itself.

Holy shit, BI, you can't release this video and tell us that we have to wait seven (?) months!

It would be nice to see a 'Beta' or early release for those that pre-order. Not sure where you're getting 7 months from. I'd put my money around April-May 2016.

I wouldn't judge much for what you saw in that video. In the last SITREP BI devs comment that was "finished" in a rush to get something showable.

Tho judging by the past releases, probably BI will give early access for those who pre-buy the expansion. So it's possible that in a few months we may be able to test it in the dev-branch (first the map or at least some of the islands, then part of the content, later more content, showcases, and at the end the campaign etc.). I think that the A3 release showed how much can a game benefit from early access.

In the next weeks BI said to release a road-map concerning the Expansion, so we'll know more.

If my opinion counts, I'm all for the early access (at least the kind that BI got us used to) :rthumb:

Not even sure what's that big of a deal. Big whoop, an Archipelago isn't a good pace for Tanks anyway. No military would be foolish enough to move MBT's into and Archipelago... Unless your China... And your tanks are amphibious.

Not even sure what's that big of a deal. Big whoop, an Archipelago isn't a good pace for Tanks anyway. No military would be foolish enough to move MBT's into and Archipelago... Unless your China... And your tanks are amphibious.

As a infantry support, is a good idea to bring tanks with you. Just check the Thunder Runs to clear roads in Vietnam.

Jungle warfare is kind of "urban warfare" (well there's some climatic issues, like dehydration, dangerous and poisonous fauna and so on that probably won't be represented in-game).

Edited by MistyRonin

The Japanese managed it when they captured the "Impenetrable" fortress that was british Singapore.....

What an un-remarked disaster THAT was... manoeuvring right through the jungle avoiding any sea based defence at all.

The US and southern Vietnamese forces also used them too, in jungle scenarios... to some effect. (Quite a few wrecked m48 chassis slowly dissolving into the jungle floor attest to their failure if not properly supported)

They were pretty effective at breaking out into urban areas... very famous footage of a (T34?) Smashing down the gates of the American embassy...

As a infantry support, is a good idea to bring tanks with you. Just check the Thunder Runs to clear roads in Vietnam.

100% of Vientnam was not Archipelago. Tanoa is. Tanks can't be a factor on an Archipelago for many reasons, but consider Tanoa is a fairly Large Archipelago, then the wise choice would be either use Gun boats instead, or to Parachute a tank into an island of your choosing to capture. That, or forget about tracked tanks that can't float alltogether. Considering there's no bridges though, your better off with Gun Boats.

100% of Vientnam was not Archipelago. Tanoa is. Tanks can't be a factor on an Archipelago for many reasons, but consider Tanoa is a fairly Large Archipelago, then the wise choice would be either use Gun boats instead, or to Parachute a tank into an island of your choosing to capture. That, or forget about tracked tanks that can't float alltogether. Considering there's no bridges though, your better off with Gun Boats.

Well the island of Iwo Jima was 21 km2 and the Marines used tanks there (Tanoa will probably have at least one island bigger than that):

24th_marines_wwii_iwo_jima.jpg

If that is too far away in time, check when the US invaded the little island of Grenada in 1983:

http://mediastore.magnumphotos.com/CoreXDoc/MAG/Media/TR2/5/f/8/3/PAR402290.jpg (309 kB)

Edited by MistyRonin

Yeah, but is that one island? Or many. In a conflict composed of many islands, you can't exactly "steam roll" anywhere. The only place you'll find them, is rapped up with fresh veggies. Which, is actually why in real life, many nations are now looking to Amphibious and Naval innovations. It does appear that the Pacific could be a very real conflict area. Japan is designing new AVV-7, or AAV? Damnit I can never remember, anyway though. China, at least has most countries best where certain tanks are Amphibious, and most APC's, going them great flexibility, in an Archipelao scenario. Though, I doubt that even the best General would look at a chain or group of islands and think, "Tank", unless he had some that float. The next best solution is Naval dominance, and air/infantry support.

It doesn't really matter.

Tanks can be useful as infantry support even in little jungle islands, as long as there are roads / paths wide enough.

And they can be moved from island to island with Landing Ships or Hovercraft (like the LCAC).

Said that, of course that the naval presence will have really importance in the new Tanoa archipelago. But the A3 tanks would still be useful there.

Tho of course that amphibious armor will have the upper hand (like a modernized version of the US Marines AAV7).

A PLA ZBD2000 IFV would also be a nice addition for the CSAT, but we'll see that BI does.

The logistics are pretty irrelevant. This is a game with gameplay (usually) based on short, smaller scenarios. If a mission maker wants to put a tank in a field to support an assault, he can.