dale0404

New terrain reveal - Tanoa

It is over 100 km2 of land mass ;)

Is Tanoa main island of the expansion or there is something bigger comming?

Main island

Eh, wat?

Don't you see the big red circle with the trees in the middle of the sea!?

Gilgamesh what do you mean? Mangrove swamps are right on the coastline and the trees do grow off of the saline water? I used to be part of a team that cleaned them monthly in the Carribean. Maybe it just looks funny from the aerial shot, but I see nothing wrong with them.

Don't you see the big red circle with the trees in the middle of the sea!?

What red circle?

Mangrove grows in saline water just fine, as well as numerous other plants too.

... I used to be part of a team that cleaned them monthly in the Carribean....

This is why I love forums. All people from all walks of life!

Ps. that sounds like it would've been kinda fun

Technically neither :p

It's the main terrain of the expansion, but it's an archipelago (with an area "over 100km2").

Technically neither :p

It's the main terrain of the expansion, but it's an archipelago (with an area "over 100km2").

100km2 in land mass, right?

This is why I love forums. All people from all walks of life!

Ps. that sounds like it would've been kinda fun

Trawling with hippie chicks in kayaks with dolphins and the occasional nurse shark, whats to like?

;)

Yup, we don't know how many water there will be.

One vehicle that could be really outstanding and benefit of this setting is a seaplane, it could be used by Civilians, Guerrillas / Pirates or Main factions:
i love this idea. i think this doesn't even require extra engine features. i'm almost sure someone (modder) already tried this an it worked.
And it's even topical, with the
and PRC naval aviation both evidently seeing value for their own reasons...
In excess of that, but the number is indeed land mass as confirmed by DarkDruid. For comparative purposes, a flat 100 km2 would be ~37% of Altis' land mass (270 km2), rounding up to 40% would mean 108 km2 , and Altis' total area (combined with water and underwater locations) was estimated to be "almost 1000 km2".

I disagree, the map can be interesting.

It reminds me Lingor.

Feelings are mutual ;) jetskis were also made for Lingor in A2 if you installed Lingor Units. I hope to update Lingor in 2016 with new Tanoa assets. I'm currently releasing updated version soon (A3 assets) so the wait will be a bit more easier ;)

Dude it's amazing when it's actually rare. I remember making a Lingor mission in which an AI sniper team supports the player team by boat, scouting the coastline for enemies through the swamps. While troubleshooting I noticed that they randomly were disappearing and when I ran Troopmon I saw that an alligator was pulling them out of the small craft. A minute chance of this sort of thing can be awesome.

Heheh, we had couple of interesting situations in our COOP squadnights ;)

Wow! Tanoa looks absolutely breathtaking, I cant wait to have some firefights in those jungles.

On a sidenote, I can literally feel my PC melting from the sunshafts!

On a sidenote, I can literally feel my PC melting from the sunshafts!

what do you mean? we already have those and so far i couldn't identify them as a performance issue. don't tell me you haven't seen them yet. i have been running around in the editor drooling over them for an hour when they added them ;)

And it's even topical, with the
and PRC naval aviation both evidently seeing value for their own reasons...

They are really good candidates, I hope the BI Boys consider them.

Of both, the Chinese AVIC TA-600, would fit really nicely in the A3 armaverse:

The AVIC TA-600 is set to become the largest amphibious aircraft in the world when it begins delivery in 2016.

In excess of that, but the number is indeed land mass as confirmed by DarkDruid. For comparative purposes, a flat 100 km2 would be ~37% of Altis' land mass (270 km2), rounding up to 40% would mean 108 km2 , and Altis' total area (combined with water and underwater locations) was estimated to be "almost 1000 km2".

It can be quite incredible, even if it seems "small" compared to Altis, but to me Stratis felt huge and its 20 km2. IMHO I rather have islands like Stratis, with more details, hills, forests and stuff than a huge Altis with boring huge open spaces.

Edited by MistyRonin

They are really good candidates, I hope the BI Boys consider them.

Of both, the Chinese AVIC TA-600, would fit really nicely in the A3 armaverse:

The specific airframes aside, even a smaller one (like the previously-linked An-2 mod) would provide a gameplay variety from the seeming "basic" prop plane in the Tanoa trailer, whether or not there were both civilian (including law enforcement) and/or military versions.
It can be quite incredible, even if it seems "small" compared to Altis, but to me Stratis felt huge and its 20 km2. IMHO I rather have islands like Stratis, with more details, hills, forests and stuff than a huge Altis with boring huge open spaces.
Hence my curiosity as to the number of islands appearing in the in-game Tanoa simulation and their arrangement, since the Stratis terrain (as opposed to the island of Stratis) is mostly a continuous singular land mass.

http://arma3.com/tanoa i would say 1 year for an expansion means only one island

Being picky technically one archipelago. But yeah as far as it has been announced, there will be only one terrain / map.

Welcome to Tanoa – home to lush tropical vegetation, unique landmarks, a rich history, and imposing man-made feats of modern engineering. Walk, swim, drive, fly, and sail your way across over 100 km² of the South Pacific archipelago.

Hi Misty....a question for you. In light of the Terrain reveal. Do you feel this will have drastic effects on the RHS/ US/ Russian Mod development? Namely updated Camouflage/ texturing. Likely Amphibious ambitions. Russian marines? Ships etc? Do you feel the Mod will be tied more exclusively to Stratis/ Altis or should I say non jungle vegetation island mods.

Do you feel this will have drastic effects on the RHS/ US/ Russian Mod development?

Not really. Our plans were already broad enough :cool:

Namely updated Camouflage/ texturing. Likely Amphibious ambitions. Russian marines? Ships etc?

We already have some US Marines & Russian Naval Infantry equipment released. And more will be coming soonishâ„¢.

And of course there's some stuff we have been working for months that still hasn't seen the light...

Do you feel the Mod will be tied more exclusively to Stratis/ Altis or should I say non jungle vegetation island mods.

Nope. I think our mod covers all (reasonable) fronts, Tanoa included.

Something I have been wondering for a while, will RHS ever expand to other nations? Ex. China, UK, etc?

Something I have been wondering for a while, will RHS ever expand to other nations? Ex. China, UK, etc?

no, it won't, at least not for now...But next time use RHS thread please, this is OT for this particular thread

Edited by PuFu

It's called Russian Escalation for a reason.

On another note, i believe at one point they had the map of Tanoa up in the background of one of their sites... I haven't been able to find it since, so i think they took it down before anyone could see it clearly enough. =/