dale0404

New terrain reveal - Tanoa

Add me to the list of people hopeful for amphibious vehicles. Those ATVs already look like they fit with Arma 3's near-future style.

And tracked vehicles that can actually be controlled when floating in water...

I wonder if we'll be getting a future Osprey like our future Chinook? Hmm...

I'm also curious. An Osprey and a Harrier / F35 would be a must IMHO. Together with some AAV7 kind of vehicle.

All things taken into consideration, I'm sure BIS will put TANOA together quite nicely for its actual release. For that, I have confidence and faith in their ability.

I do, however, hope they take into account the "operational implications" that this new terrain is going have on the community with regards to the effective deployment of technical assets. i.e. tanks, aircraft etc.

IMHO, what BIS should include in this expansion:

-Waypoint order to dismount from Helos via fast roping/rappelling (to deploy ground forces in forested areas with thick canopy)

-Different variants of the MRAP Hunter, to include Medical, Ammunition Stores, Repair Equipment, and Troop-Lift (as tanks will likely have difficulty traversing TANOA

-New protective equipment Medium Weight Ballistic Helmets that still provide ballistic protection (suitable for SOF IF that is the direction they take)

-Additional naval assets, such as a

and

-Attack Helicopter Variations for the Blackfoot (as Attack Helicopters will likely be more effective with the new terrain and its intensely undulating ground

That would be easy for BI, they already have the turret for A3:

http://www.armaholic.com/datas/users/arma3new13_16471.jpg (145 kB)

Unless that was scrapped along with a truckload of other stuff we saw on early screenshots and that never made it to final release.

Considering US Marines are planning on buying the Patria AMV already though, if that is going to be the new main Blufor faction, we'll probably get a few other variants like ATGM and light troop transport (hopefully with a new turret design that isn't the same crappy copypasted one).

I hope we get a new campaign with the DLC. and based on it being a pacific island that seems extremely likely.

Yeah I know campaigns not the main focus of the game, but they managed to do a really good job with Arma 3 for Survive and Adapt, and than the story just fell apart at the end of Win....

All things taken into consideration, I'm sure BIS will put TANOA together quite nicely for its actual release. For that, I have confidence and faith in their ability.

I do, however, hope they take into account the "operational implications" that this new terrain is going have on the community with regards to the effective deployment of technical assets. i.e. tanks, aircraft etc.

IMHO, what BIS should include in this expansion:

-Waypoint order to dismount from Helos via fast roping/rappelling (to deploy ground forces in forested areas with thick canopy)

-Different variants of the MRAP Hunter, to include Medical, Ammunition Stores, Repair Equipment, and Troop-Lift (as tanks will likely have difficulty traversing TANOA

-New protective equipment Medium Weight Ballistic Helmets that still provide ballistic protection (suitable for SOF IF that is the direction they take)

and

-Attack Helicopter Variations for the Blackfoot (as Attack Helicopters will likely be more effective with the new terrain and its intensely undulating ground

+1

Especially for the "fastrope waypoint" and a new Attack chopper (would prefer a new version of the Apache - or the EC -665 Tigre rather than an enhanced version of the Blackfoot.

---------- Post added at 12:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 AM ----------

I hope we get a new campaign with the DLC. and based on it being a pacific island that seems extremely likely.

Yeah I know campaigns not the main focus of the game, but they managed to do a really good job with Arma 3 for Survive and Adapt, and than the story just fell apart at the end of Win....

Well, I always play the campaign in every game I play.

I like playing them and I think a good camp is important.

But too much "guerilla style" missions since A2...

Hate the Hunter love, the Strider is clearly the vehicle of choice for this new map.

Hate the Hunter love, the Strider is clearly the vehicle of choice for this new map.

Really?!?!....well everyone is entitled to their opinions :p but I doubt the AAF will be represented in TANOA at all. So maybe the Strider is totally out of the scope of BIS?

Sure it was cancelled IRL but if the EFV was added and trach vehicles in water fixed. I'd be very happy with that :)

hey BIS can u plz stop working on everything u doing right now and fix FFFFuuubadword* AI patchfinding just make ai usable on altis stratis ....becouse if i look at new tanoa island there will be ai prohibited ?? beouse ai can see trough walls bushes trees etc. so on tanoa ai will kill u in jungle like stealth predator and u will never see anything and again patch finding for ai must be much hardcore better then on altis vhere u send ai over city and ai will find nearest object and bumb in to it and when ai decied *cant move* he make some reverse and bumb again to this object *12x times then wheels are gone grrreeeee can we wait same BISTERIOUS stuff on tanoa ? this never hapened in operation flashpoint on Everon well not so badly like in a3. btw im not hater i love arma forver lol.

---------- Post added at 23:48 ---------- Previous post was at 23:43 ----------

Our team has been anticipating to see a new faction with this reveal video, but yeah - expecting too much in the current phase. BIS please add a guerrilla faction with old-fashioned rifles (AKs, SKS, etc.), that would really boost up the A3.

absolutely agree

Edited by XOSPECTRE
idiot factor :p

but I doubt the AAF will be represented in TANOA at all.

So, in the editor you give Blue Force troops the Strider.

hey BIS can u plz stop working on everything u doing right now and fix FFFFuuubadword* AI patchfinding just make ai usable on altis stratis ....becouse if i look at new tanoa island there will be ai prohibited ?? beouse ai can see trough walls bushes trees etc. so on tanoa ai will kill u in jungle like stealth predator and u will never see anything and again patch finding for ai must be much hardcore better then on altis vhere u send ai over city and ai will find nearest object and bumb in to it and when ai decied *cant move* he make some reverse and bumb again to this object *12x times then wheels are gone grrreeeee can we wait same BISTERIOUS stuff on tanoa ? this never hapened in operation flashpoint on Everon well not so badly like in a3. btw im not hater i love arma forver lol.

absolutely agree

So much this. I love playing invade and annex, but being killed by AI I can't even see that shouldn't see me either is frustrating beyond belief.

Just pretend the entire enemy forces AI are comprised of JSOC from enemy countries. XD

---------- Post added at 00:38 ---------- Previous post was at 00:35 ----------

Really?!?!....well everyone is entitled to their opinions :p but I doubt the AAF will be represented in TANOA at all. So maybe the Strider is totally out of the scope of BIS?

No. The strider is perfect, given enough fuel, it can travel to Altis from Stratis no problem. Also, the Strider is Amphibious, given the new terrain is an Archipelago... Well, the Hunter Automatically loses. It can't jump from island to island, unless lifted Via. Utility, or landing craft. Amphibious vehicles is definitely the name of the game this time.

Why isn't anyone talking about the need for a bunch of good rivers through those lovely dense jungles?!

5840304362_86b3e95197.jpg

Given water seems to be the current "theme" (those new reflections are neat, hu?),

please BIS give us inland-water back - better than ever before!

This, those nasty waves as seen in that vbs demo (or earlier this year in interstellr on planet "monster wave" :eek:),

...and then surfboards. :cool:

Hello BI,

that is a really goooood news!

Hopefully you will integrate VR :-)

OMG 2016..... i hate waiting :-)

Why isn't anyone talking about the need for a bunch of good rivers through those lovely dense jungles?!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3414/5840304362_86b3e95197.jpg

Given water seems to be the current "theme" (those new reflections are neat, hu?),

please BIS give us inland-water back - better than ever before!

This, those nasty waves as seen in that vbs demo (or earlier this year in interstellr on planet "monster wave" :eek:),

...and then surfboards. :cool:

Off topic: That was an awesome movie! :D

On topic: Yeah it'd be awesome to see if it'd be possible for BIS to implement inland water. I'd love to see some rice patties, Nam style!

EDIT: I went back and rewatched the AAN news intro from survive. At 0:44, it talks about CSAT increasing joint exercises in the Pacific. However, near the bottom it clearly says "Air-Sea War Games involving 3 member states in South China Sea," it could be possible that we might see 3 CSAT members in the expansion, including our current Iranian forces. Link:

Those aren't mountains, they're waves.

Edited by Nightmare515

Off topic: That was an awesome movie! :D

On topic: Yeah it'd be awesome to see if it'd be possible for BIS to implement inland water. I'd love to see some rice patties, Nam style!

EDIT: I went back and rewatched the AAN news intro from survive. At 0:44, it talks about CSAT increasing joint exercises in the Pacific. However, near the bottom it clearly says "Air-Sea War Games involving 3 member states in South China Sea," it could be possible that we might see 3 CSAT members in the expansion, including our current Iranian forces. Link:

Those aren't mountains, they're waves.

I think i also saw something that had china and blue see project or something like that...... Might be the main target for this iland crazy chinees WMD's or something alike

I think the map looks really good so far, I'm curious where it's based off however, first thoughts during the reveal trailer was that maybe it's Fiji or something around there. Initially it sounded like it would be a large island with a couple smaller ones, but it's actually a large chain of idk 10+ islands. In game scale is a little smaller so were probably looking for an area 150-200km/sq in the real world.
The splash page specifies "over 100 km² of the South Pacific archipelago" without specifying surface area/land mass or total area, so I'd lean towards the former estimate; personally I'm rather hyped for the idea of such a "multi-island" terrain from Bohemia. Also, a pre-E3 devblog specifically stated that new military vehicles will be coming with the Expansion, but no confirmation on a campaign. :( For what it's worth though, Bohemia was until recently soliciting external artists for contract work on buildings and other structures for Tanoa, so I imagine that it's about sprucing up the place with the added time that they had for the Expansion compared to the base game in terms of "launch date".

I disagree re: a driveable carrier, the "BF on Wake" carrier is just like the USS Khe Sanh in Arma 2's Utes -- "a metal island at sea" in the same position at all times -- and by how Bohemia seems to scale fuel levels (and the lack of simulation of aircraft/stores weight on fuel consumption) I wouldn't expect a noticeable difference in flight time for official aircraft based on where the carrier takeoff is from... I wouldn't count on a driveable carrier, especially since the possible complications for want of an engine overhaul or whatever BISim did (to get non-assembled 50+ meter ships with walking on deck and below the waterline) and/or costs thereof may be deemed to outweigh the possible gains over the existing capabilities of "a metal island at sea."

Finally, I see no chance of "a new NATO Fighter Jet for Air to Air combat" from Bohemia, whose designers have always treated armed fixed-wing as ground attack with the exception of the Buzzard (AA)... which is just an all-AAM loadout (of reportedly questionable utility due to the Zephyr's stats) on a trainer-derived light attack aircraft.

and

First the fast-roping, then worry about the waypoint... though I'd also throw in the need to reword the GUI so that the existing "unload" waypoint become more explicitly "debarking via landing" versus the new fast-rope/rappel waypoint.

Also, as far as Bohemia was concerned the Blackfoot is the NATO gunship... unless they do a stealth implementation to differentiate the versions I'd find that an "uparmed" one would make the lighter one redundant, although I don't agree with Wiki about "a new version of the Apache" because we've already got one... on CSAT's side, it's called the Kajman. :icon_twisted:

That is an amazing find!!! :D
I believe that the AMV mortar variant was for a time mistaken for "railgun tank", unless that was another platform... but admittedly I struggle to think of how a self-propelled mortar would have been implemented in a way "gameplay-distinct" from the M4 Scorcher (itself howitzer on a Slammer chassis).
No. The strider is perfect, given enough fuel, it can travel to Altis from Stratis no problem. Also, the Strider is Amphibious, given the new terrain is an Archipelago... Well, the Hunter Automatically loses. It can't jump from island to island, unless lifted Via. Utility, or landing craft. Amphibious vehicles is definitely the name of the game this time.
I disagree in that every MRAP is really outgunned and outmanned by all three amphibious wheeled APCs (Gorgon, Marid, Marshall) with the Gorgon even toting a pair of Titan AT missiles. Compared to them, the Strider's only unique capabilities are top speed, the commander's telescoping EO/IR sensor/designator, and the possibility of airlift... by a NATO or CSAT DLC helicopter.

FPDR

As such, I declare my belief that the Strider only comes into its own in amphibious scenarios where the assaulting force can't bring the aforementioned wheeled APCs to the fight or if the Strider is supporting landing force by using its speed and smaller profile to perform forward observation/lasing/reconnaissance.

Oh, and if the PLA turns out to be the Expansion OPFOR... its ZBD09/ZBL09 Snow Leopard amphibious wheeled APC from Battlefield 4? Argentina's Ministry of Defence just ordered a hundred-and-ten of its VN1 export variant from Norinco, reportedly with 12.7 mm MGs whereas the Snow Leopard's closest in-game analog might be the Gorgon.

Confession: I'd forgotten just how bad things had gotten for Western governments by the time of Bootcamp and The East Wind, and via the mention of a "Chinese blue-water naval programme" it appears that the PLA remains a distinct entity as of 2035.

The splash page specifies "over 100 km² of the South Pacific archipelago" without specifying surface area/land mass or total area, so I'd lean towards the former estimate; personally I'm rather hyped for the idea of such a "multi-island" terrain from Bohemia. Also, a pre-E3 devblog specifically stated that new military vehicles will be coming with the Expansion, but no confirmation on a campaign. :( For what it's worth though, Bohemia was until recently soliciting external artists for contract work on buildings and other structures for Tanoa, so I imagine that it's about sprucing up the place with the added time that they had for the Expansion compared to the base game in terms of "launch date".

I disagree re: a driveable carrier, the "BF on Wake" carrier is just like the USS Khe Sanh in Arma 2's Utes -- "a metal island at sea" in the same position at all times -- and by how Bohemia seems to scale fuel levels (and the lack of simulation of aircraft/stores weight on fuel consumption) I wouldn't expect a noticeable difference in flight time for official aircraft based on where the carrier takeoff is from... I wouldn't count on a driveable carrier, especially since the possible complications for want of an engine overhaul or whatever BISim did (to get non-assembled 50+ meter ships with walking on deck and below the waterline) and/or costs thereof may be deemed to outweigh the possible gains over the existing capabilities of "a metal island at sea."

Finally, I see no chance of "a new NATO Fighter Jet for Air to Air combat" from Bohemia, whose designers have always treated armed fixed-wing as ground attack with the exception of the Buzzard (AA)... which is just an all-AAM loadout (of reportedly questionable utility due to the Zephyr's stats) on a trainer-derived light attack aircraft.First the fast-roping, then worry about the waypoint... though I'd also throw in the need to reword the GUI so that the existing "unload" waypoint become more explicitly "debarking via landing" versus the new fast-rope/rappel waypoint.

Also, as far as Bohemia was concerned the Blackfoot is the NATO gunship... unless they do a stealth implementation to differentiate the versions I'd find that an "uparmed" one would make the lighter one redundant, although I don't agree with Wiki about "a new version of the Apache" because we've already got one... on CSAT's side, it's called the Kajman. :icon_twisted:I believe that the AMV mortar variant was for a time mistaken for "railgun tank", unless that was another platform... but admittedly I struggle to think of how a self-propelled mortar would have been implemented in a way "gameplay-distinct" from the M4 Scorcher (itself howitzer on a Slammer chassis).I disagree in that every MRAP is really outgunned and outmanned by all three amphibious wheeled APCs (Gorgon, Marid, Marshall) with the Gorgon even toting a pair of Titan AT missiles. Compared to them, the Strider's only unique capabilities are top speed, the commander's telescoping EO/IR sensor/designator, and the possibility of airlift... by a NATO or CSAT DLC helicopter.

FPDR

As such, I declare my belief that the Strider only comes into its own in amphibious scenarios where the assaulting force can't bring the aforementioned wheeled APCs to the fight or if the Strider is supporting landing force by using its speed and smaller profile to perform forward observation/lasing/reconnaissance.

Oh, and if the PLA turns out to be the Expansion OPFOR... its ZBD09/ZBL09 Snow Leopard amphibious wheeled APC from Battlefield 4? Argentina's Ministry of Defence just ordered a hundred-and-ten of its VN1 export variant from Norinco, reportedly with 12.7 mm MGs whereas the Snow Leopard's closest in-game analog might be the Gorgon.Confession: I'd forgotten just how bad things had gotten for Western governments by the time of Bootcamp and The East Wind, and via the mention of a "Chinese blue-water naval programme" it appears that the PLA remains a distinct entity as of 2035.

Well, yeah, lol.

When you bring in APC's in an MRAP comparison, of course the Strider becomes obsolete. =P

But good points there about the PLA. My main fear is that BIS are going to add PLA with the same ugly uniform. To be honest, I like the PLA's real life uniform 1000 times better, and considering that China would be 20 times more advanced than it's other partners in the CSAT, than I'd expect them to remain true to their traditions at least. I hope BIS get this right at least.

It is over 100 km2 of land mass ;)

It is over 100 km2 of land mass ;)

Just to to put that in perspective. It's approximately the same landmass as one Sahrani (~98 km2) or one Nogova (~95 km2).

Since Tanoa is apparently an archipelago, closer comparison might be to put five Stratis (~20km2) islands in an archipelago and you'd also get the same landmass.

Edited by Sniperwolf572

absolutely agree

and that people happens when the cat type your comment.

now after my 'cat-written-comment-decrypt-program' decrypted your comment i have to say that you should know that the ai here is fully dynamic, this means it finds his own pathmap, not like other games like ghost recon aw maps where you(the devs) have to make them for him otherwise it don't even move even if under fire. the only instance the wheel got stuck and unstuck itself after 5 tries, was on the rover drone and it was against a fence and i was surprised how well it got out of it because in bf2(another game with full dynamic bors) it would be stuck there until the unit explode. as for the flying ai its probably the best after ms flight simulator(DAAAHHH).