dale0404

New terrain reveal - Tanoa

Regardless, the location it alone is going to kill any and all sense of war as it will never be anything more than a small civil war/war on drugs. Anything bigger is going to look completely out of place not to mention that majority of mods like RHS that bring in current military equipment are going to look even more ridiculous there(not that it's BI's responsibility to worry about that)

So yeah still stand by that it doesn't give a sense of "this is war" and ill add that it probably never will achieve that. At best i can hope that the new environment creates the need for certain new features that can be used elsewhere.

War happens in many places, not just in the hills and plains.

hey Devs some HD screenshots? in particular on vegetation..............;)

Agree with Ronin. Just because it never seemed to get the attention, fighting on terrain such as this really tested the allies in WW2. And of course Vietnam was no cake walk and that a pretty big force.

Really disappointed with the setting tbh, i think Chernarus, Takistan and Altis are great maps but this one just doesn't interest me in the same way looks like a console game map to me and if there was going to be an expansion i'd honestly rather a they spend their time creating a tonne of new assets and features to the game and not have a new map. As it is we'll probably get a new map and one of each vehicle type again.

Yes im having a moan before we've even seen it in any kind of detail or know what the plans are but thats my initial reaction.

I disagree, the map can be interesting.

It reminds me Lingor.

According to the AMD presentation DX12 will solve a lot of issues regarding performance optimization.

It was one of the first presentations, i advise you give it a look in case you missed it.

I'm sorry, but your wrong. AMD said DC12 fixes, ALL of the issues. I guess we'll have to wait and see though. Hopefully August we get DX12 with win 10.

---------- Post added at 13:00 ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 ----------

Dx12* darnet mobile.

DX12 solves all problems? seems only an excuse to buy windows 10... like phyx in arma 3 seems an excuse to buy nvidia cards

anyways, didn't have to be Mantle to solves all problems for AMD?

Edited by Zukov

That's why we NEED fastrope for jungle combat, to deploy troops in the deep forest.

I never really understood why people wanted fast-roping so badly, since Altis doesn't have any vast and thick forests, all the towns are full of open spaces and wide roads, no steep mountains etc., so you can always land pretty safely and fast. It seemed people just wanted something tacticool. But Tanoa is completely different story, now fast-roping is a absolute must, even in my opinion.

Wha..? I was so hoping for furniture :( When did they say that?

You have never seen the newspapers on the floors and such?

What I would like to see is the uncompressed, raw version of the trailer. YT fucked it up, especially in jungle shots.

But it sure looks great, I like the setting.

I never really understood why people wanted fast-roping so badly, since Altis doesn't have any vast and thick forests, all the towns are full of open spaces and wide roads, no steep mountains etc., so you can always land pretty safely and fast. It seemed people just wanted something tacticool. But Tanoa is completely different story, now fast-roping is a absolute must, even in my opinion.

It was because back then, you only think "vanilla".

Indeed, there was no need in Altis (whereas it could have been useful in Stratis - lot of forest)

But you needed to think about usermade maps: fastrope would have been useful (and still is) on community maps.

With the benefit of hindsight, this seems the obvious way for BI to go. Not since Everon have we had this much forest and jungle.

Of course, it's a major departure for the series - from what we've seen so far, there's little scope for protracted armoured engagements.

Also, I'm curious how many towns, cities and village there will be.

jungle is fantastic for the mappers, you may build vertical/gorgeous scenarios, i'm waiting some maps, like high and eroded hills linked with wood /suspended bridges with comm station, artillery, temples, secret labs and so on

If the environment & ai sounds are on par with the beauty of the jungle (as seen on screenshot), this map will be one hell of an experience. :)

Curious though about what gameplay features they'll add. I'd argue that a jungle would be the perfect reason to implement some sort of melee (close quarters, cutting vegetation). Fastroping would be a usefull feature too, as mentioned already.

Perhaps some sort of camouflage system? Facecamo, or nets to hide vehicles under.

Also the good thing of a dense jungle is that you can play with shorter viewdistance because you can't see far anyway. :rolleyes:

Yep, I'm all for an environment color change. Brown to Green is most welcome!

Agree with you KK. Seems like BIS are more interested in a Dinosaur simulator than a military sandbox. Given the lack of content for the original A3 package, seems a shame they are moving in this direction. Understandable if they are trying to appeal to Life players and a possible dino spinoff.

Yes, the terrain and DX12 effects look shiny, but where are BIS taking this series? A pacific island is probably the last place you would focus on for a military sandbox - did the environment team have too much influence over product direction?

In my eyes, the main feedback about A3 was lack of content (plus the issues with MP performance). The expansion should have addressed those content issues with the environment being secondary to that.

I'm sure they will come back and say assets for the pacific island expansion are being developed by Black Element and external contractors so won't impact the core team...

Our only hope now is that BIS deliver improved littoral operations assets and gameplay, improved AI navigation, improved dense environment combat for AI (i.e. not seeing through foilage) and implementation of DX12 (across cores lol).

LMAO, you guys are nuts. Just because the new Terrain has a South Pacific Asian theme and dense jungles, you jump straight to the "Dino Mode" train? You've got to be kidding me. You know, this is modern times, people do live in and around the jungle still, Dino's are extinct, and there is no chance they're returning. Now of course, the AI are going to be the most interesting part of this, but i'd imagine it won't be too much of a pain in the arse. You can't see the AI, the AI can't (or can) see you. You can hear it shooting in your direction but now with the new AI suppression, you can actually turn get somewhere by shooting in the general Direction of said AI, which can screw up it's aim or even make it move from it's position.

Anyhow though, the South Pacific, especially an Archipelago is the PERFECT terrain for a military sandbox. This provides BIS, and even the community, to be able to create a ton of new assets that are unlike what we've seen before. Naval Infantry anyone? Or maybe there are other things in mind. Someone could make a jungle wildlife mod. That would be interesting. What's even more interesting is to see what BIS does with this new gold crown. You cannot deny the size and sheer good looking, fresh new country that we get to explore, is anything but a perfect playground. We have water, roads, airports, ports, town, haven't seen a bridge yet (fingers crossed), the sky. This si a breeding ground for REAL combined arms. As of now, it's just Land and Air. Now that were going to an Archipelago, it looks like they'll be working on the sea part. And hopefully along with some great new features.

---------- Post added at 14:00 ---------- Previous post was at 13:57 ----------

Look at water reflection at the end of trailer, smth like 1:20.

http://clip2net.com/clip/m166860/a2e9d-clip-192kb.jpg (192 kB)

Does anyone know why the reflection looks so strange? It's something like little optimization or what?

I mean it looks like water reflection depends only from X and Z axis and don't recalculate for vertical axis. Really interesting why.

But anyway looks so cool.

That's actually a very realistic effect. When your at certain angles, the reflection really depends on how much water surface is angled towards you, and the object, in this case the terrain, being reflected. It doesn't look like a bug to me. That looks freaking amazing.

Well the Dinosaur comment was a poke at Joris's comment during the interview lol

"Now of course, the AI are going to be the most interesting part of this, but i'd imagine it won't be too much of a pain in the arse."

Are you kidding me? They haven't fixed the AI properly in 15 years, why would they start now? Ok, so some AI improvements have happened, but the navigation is still hilariously poor and AI can still see you and shoot through walls let alone foilage.

We all hope for naval inf, but have you even tried to create boats and amphib vehicles in Arma 3? There's some serious improvement required there. Not to mention the poor physics sim of boats/ships/subs.

Take a look at the quality of community maps now... island environments are already in game. People are missing the point, the environment should be secondary to this expansion. The issue for A3 was lack of content not lack of maps.

i'm wondering if possible to stop the undertow of the sea, maybe by some RVMAT scripts

Regardless, the location it alone is going to kill any and all sense of war as it will never be anything more than a small civil war/war on drugs. Anything bigger is going to look completely out of place not to mention that majority of mods like RHS that bring in current military equipment are going to look even more ridiculous there(not that it's BI's responsibility to worry about that)

So yeah still stand by that it doesn't give a sense of "this is war" and ill add that it probably never will achieve that. At best i can hope that the new environment creates the need for certain new features that can be used elsewhere.

Wow, i can't believe you didn't think of the Chinese... It's even in Battlefield 4, one of the best maps in that game. Paracel Storm, which while it's super tiny, still an Archipelago. US vs. Chinese map.

---------- Post added at 14:20 ---------- Previous post was at 14:16 ----------

Well the Dinosaur comment was a poke at Joris's comment during the interview lol

"Now of course, the AI are going to be the most interesting part of this, but i'd imagine it won't be too much of a pain in the arse."

Are you kidding me? They haven't fixed the AI properly in 15 years, why would they start now? Ok, so some AI improvements have happened, but the navigation is still hilariously poor and AI can still see you and shoot through walls let alone foilage.

We all hope for naval inf, but have you even tried to create boats and amphib vehicles in Arma 3? There's some serious improvement required there. Not to mention the poor physics sim of boats/ships/subs.

Take a look at the quality of community maps now... island environments are already in game. People are missing the point, the environment should be secondary to this expansion. The issue for A3 was lack of content not lack of maps.

Hehe, i suppose. Although don't worry about the Naval part, i'll be writing up some Feedback Tickets on important features that need to be looked at in order for Naval Assets to be top notch useful to begin with, there are a few important one's that Hatchet knows very well of while developing his mods. Without those fixed, we're going to have serious FPS problems with lots of boats. They're working on the Amphibious boats though, a few Dev Updates ago some vehicles got looked at. Haven't had a chance to test those out yet.

Uhm, why?
Why not? what exactly do you see that would provoke a WAR and the need for countries to fight over these small islands?
WW2 was fought in islands like that]
But Arma3 doesnt have anything from ww2 now does it?
A big conventional war in the Pacific could happen, probably China vs US, in fact the US defense is preparing for it.

NOTE: Remember that at RHS we are expanding the USMC ;)

It could, but it hasn't nor are there any major signs that it will. And sure you have marines, but who are they going to fight on these islands that would make any sense? CSAT? And again arma can't do tracked amphibious vehicles stopping pretty much any amphibious assault vehicles from being used to their full potential(AAVs and BMPs anyone?)
Wow, i can't believe you didn't think of the Chinese... It's even in Battlefield 4, one of the best maps in that game. Paracel Storm, which while it's super tiny, still an Archipelago. US vs. Chinese map.
i'm well aware of the chinese ever since that image with that black CSAT helicopter and chinese soldiers from the helicopter DLC. But how are those going to be anything more than just Chinese CSAT with a different color/camo? They wont. Edited by Chompster

Why not? what exactly do you see that would provoke a WAR and the need for countries to fight over these small islands?

But Arma3 doesnt have anything from ww2 now does it?

It could, but it hasn't nor are there any major signs that it will. And sure you have marines, but who are they going to fight on these islands that would make any sense? CSAT? And again arma can't do tracked amphibious vehicles stopping pretty much any amphibious assault vehicles from being used to their full potential(AAVs and BMPs anyone?)

First, it doesn't stop China from fighting over the Diaoyu islands does it.

Second, it appears China is using Modern Tech to dispute Pacific waters... Not WW2 assets.

Third... Of course China is a sovereign nation defending it's own backyard, and a conflict in the Pacific is not what anyone wants IRL, or anytime soon. But this is the Armaverse. Anything can happen, and it'll be intersting to see what it's like to fight in such a "Green Hell", as one developer calls it Bring it on! =D

Edited by DarkSideSixOfficial

But this is the Armaverse. Anything can happen, and it'll be intersting to see what it's like to fight in such a "Green Hell", as one developer calls it Bring it on! =D
This is what it comes down to i guess..

yea ok.

what exactly do you see that would provoke a WAR and the need for countries to fight over these small islands?

The islands are mentioned to have lots of valuable resources. Add that to the Armaverse settings having the U.S./China's proxy wars proceeding in full swing, and you have a war in Tanoa.

It could, but it hasn't nor are there any major signs that it will.

Because China is obviously building all those artificial islands in the SCS just for holiday-goers right? But that's for another thread...

arma can't do tracked amphibious vehicles stopping pretty much any amphibious assault vehicles from being used to their full potential(AAVs and BMPs anyone?)

Tracked vehicles aren't the only vehicles that can conduct amphibious assaults.

Both the Marshall and the Marid are seaworthy, as are the Strider and Gorgon. And I have no doubt that BLUFOR/OPFOR will get new vehicles sooner or later for the expansion that are amphibious as well. Either way, maybe the devs will fix the tracked physX later down the track, who knows?

This is what it comes down to i guess..

yea ok.

Oh man, you guys are no fun. =/

But to be honest, i don't think BIS is going to do a Chinese CSAT Reskin. I think they're going to make all new assets for a new faction, weather it's China is far yet to be seen. But while we will probably only see Wheeled Amphibians, it's better than none. However, then there are the possibilities of Medium boats, which could be so much cooler if it's done right.

LMAO, you guys are nuts. Just because the new Terrain has a South Pacific Asian theme and dense jungles, you jump straight to the "Dino Mode" train?

Someone ^^^ didn't watch the presentation... :)