dale0404

New terrain reveal - Tanoa

I am a little bit disappointed, after looking at user made terrains like Orshanets I expected more from official dev team. But I have a bigger concern. The map seems to be very different from original Arma 3 and it doesnt look like the assets created for Stratis and Altis would fit with tropical look and feel. This will need the whole new package of various objects, textures and vehicles. To me the vanilla game is far far far from having reasonable amount of assets for a sanbox, so announcing a very different spin off would most definitely drain BI resources, which seem to be scarce already. And yes, dinos would fit best. But is this a take on ARK? An attempt at Jurrasic Z game? I dunno what to think, but I feel like I should have gone to bed last night early.

I am a little bit disappointed, after looking at user made terrains like Orshanets I expected more from official dev team. But I have a bigger concern. The map seems to be very different from original Arma 3 and it doesnt look like the assets created for Stratis and Altis would fit with tropical look and feel. This will need the whole new package of various objects, textures and vehicles. To me the vanilla game is far far far from having reasonable amount of assets for a sanbox, so announcing a very different spin off would most definitely drain BI resources, which seem to be scarce already. And yes, dinos would fit best. But is this a take on ARK? An attempt at Jurrasic Z game? I dunno what to think, but I feel like I should have gone to bed last night early.

Agree with you KK. Seems like BIS are more interested in a Dinosaur simulator than a military sandbox. Given the lack of content for the original A3 package, seems a shame they are moving in this direction. Understandable if they are trying to appeal to Life players and a possible dino spinoff.

Yes, the terrain and DX12 effects look shiny, but where are BIS taking this series? A pacific island is probably the last place you would focus on for a military sandbox - did the environment team have too much influence over product direction?

In my eyes, the main feedback about A3 was lack of content (plus the issues with MP performance). The expansion should have addressed those content issues with the environment being secondary to that.

I'm sure they will come back and say assets for the pacific island expansion are being developed by Black Element and external contractors so won't impact the core team...

Our only hope now is that BIS deliver improved littoral operations assets and gameplay, improved AI navigation, improved dense environment combat for AI (i.e. not seeing through foilage) and implementation of DX12 (across cores lol).

I will not bring AI up yet ,maybe this map will be more PvP oriented to avoid AI problems.
PvP in areas with dense foliage isn't going to be very fun either, every mission is going to be Vietnam War with FPS drops instead of napalm bombing. I think that BI will do something about AI though, releasing a DLC that won't proprely support the major part of a base game because they don't care is a pretty bad move.

The expansion will include new assets besides the map itself. Check out the blog on the BI website.

Look at water reflection at the end of trailer, smth like 1:20.

http://clip2net.com/clip/m166860/a2e9d-clip-192kb.jpg (192 kB)

Does anyone know why the reflection looks so strange? It's something like little optimization or what?

I mean it looks like water reflection depends only from X and Z axis and don't recalculate for vertical axis. Really interesting why.

But anyway looks so cool.

Edited by BUDU_KRATOK
added image

I guess the land mass is 100km^2 but when you take the water in the actual size of the map is more?

With regards to your GTX 970-I just changed from a Gtx760 to a GTX 980 and did not get any noticeable improvements...unfortunately Arma really is cpu based.

Will not help for lots of AI calculations etc... But I think it helps in Towns like Kavala or in Jungle environments, i.e. with many objects. But hey it's not just ArmA (having Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 in mind).

---------- Post added at 10:20 ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 ----------

If modders/etc were paid, assuming a very low wage of $15/hr

A possible price. If you get the Kongolese Gamer to do the job.

Edited by tortuosit

I guess the land mass is 100km^2 but when you take the water in the actual size of the map is more?

Of course it is. How could it not be when the land isn't a rectangle? :)

Of course it is. How could it not be when the land isn't a rectangle? :)

:p

Just like Altis is 270km^2 land mass but the actual map size is 900km^2 when you take the water in so got to wonder how big it really is and how spread out some of those islands are.

How could it not be when the land isn't a rectangle? :)

the stupidy of this just just mesmerizing...

:p

Just like Altis is 270km^2 land mass but the actual map size is 900km^2 when you take the water in so got to wonder how big it really is and how spread out some of those islands are.

Ah, I see. Good point. :o

In the trailer the islands don't seem very far apart. But I bet there's at least a couple of them further out. Which would be plausible since the expansion seems to concentrate somewhat on the maritime aspect

the stupidy of this just just mesmerizing...

Thank you for your insight. That was a very helpful comment.

Edited by Greenfist

Looks pretty fucking good, I'm hyped! :yay:

I really look forward to the apparently new shoreline tecnology, I just hate the current slimy looking stuff we have, ugh :D

Here is the Youtube Upload of the full panel discussion including the Tanoa Trailer

"I love all the mods your games are built on" Lol

"I'm looking forward to the dinosaurs" - Joris

"on the water is a bit more important this time" - Jay

Absolutely spot on.

Amazing setting for vietnam and ghost recon operations

Can't wait for the Farcry 3 mod, gonna finish that game one day maybe.

Also I have a feeling BI will come up with something special given the setbacks they had with A3, we've only seen a few images and a fly over of one(?) island so it's a bit hard to start knocking it now... I was skeptical about a Jungle and A multiple island type terrain but then I guess BI would know and understand those concerns more than anyone so I'm confident they have all the bases covered.

Amazing setting for vietnam and ghost recon operations

Very true. And not a surprising comment coming from someone called "Old Painless". ;)

Really great, it is looking really good. But 2016..... omg i hate waiting :-)

"a content pack built around Tanoa. With weapons, and vehicles....etc..."

Well hopefully they include an aircraft carrier to increase the number of airports available in game lol

but on a serious note, the M2A1 Slammers aren't going to be that effective. Perhaps the Hunter will be the biggest vehicle that will be able to traverse the actual land mass of Tanoa. Hopefully they include some variations of the Hunter then...

Perfectly appropriate when the official tagline is "War on the Horizon" instead, with an official premise that things at least looked swimmingly as of 2035, with mentions of "controversy and civil unrest" and "illicit trafficking" instead of recent full-blown civil war and concurrent insurgency...
Regardless, the location it alone is going to kill any and all sense of war as it will never be anything more than a small civil war/war on drugs. Anything bigger is going to look completely out of place not to mention that majority of mods like RHS that bring in current military equipment are going to look even more ridiculous there(not that it's BI's responsibility to worry about that)

So yeah still stand by that it doesn't give a sense of "this is war" and ill add that it probably never will achieve that. At best i can hope that the new environment creates the need for certain new features that can be used elsewhere.

"a content pack built around Tanoa. With weapons, and vehicles....etc..."

Well hopefully they include an aircraft carrier to increase the number of airports available in game lol

but on a serious note, the M2A1 Slammers aren't going to be that effective. Perhaps the Hunter will be the biggest vehicle that will be able to traverse the actual land mass of Tanoa. Hopefully they include some variations of the Hunter then...

That's why we NEED fastrope for jungle combat, to deploy troops in the deep forest.

Regardless, the location it alone is going to kill any and all sense of war as it will never be anything more than a small civil war/war on drugs. Anything bigger is going to look completely out of place not to mention that majority of mods like RHS that bring in current military equipment are going to look even more ridiculous there(not that it's BI's responsibility to worry about that)

Uhm, why?

WW2 was fought in islands like that, in fact in islands way tinnier than this archipelago huge fights with dozens of thousands of deads happened.

A big conventional war in the Pacific could happen, probably China vs US, in fact the US defense is preparing for it.

NOTE: Remember that at RHS we are expanding the USMC ;)