dale0404

New terrain reveal - Tanoa

Dirt airstrips and archipelagos eh? Time for VTOL aircraft to shine I think.

Wow, that was short. I'm sorry for all the people who didn't get enough sleep because they stayed up last night and watched the stream. :)

But enough of the criticism, the island looks great so far! And the engine improvements, reflections and what seems to be DX12 really contribute to the game. I'm certain all maps will benefit from these. But I'm curious what their AI developers will do. With all these waterways and the dense jungle they have to give our artificial comrades a complete overhaul. Especially the driving AI for boats is a mess right now (even worse than AI driving on roads).

Keep an eye here, it collects and elaborates on AI-related dev branch changelog entries.

Obviously the event was a bit of a damp squib after already having seen the leaked screenshots but it seems to me there's little not to like other than the fact it looks to be a good year away.

Obviously the event was a bit of a damp squib after already having seen the leaked screenshots but it seems to me there's little not to like other than the fact it looks to be a good year away.
If the footage was entirely in-engine/not prerendered then we can expect that the water-reflection engine tech is in at least internal builds, here's hoping that that arrives on stable branch before the Expansion does!

Certainly an impressive terrain, but for me how it fits in with the broader Armaverse is more important. If it's different for the sake of being different and not well implemented with a good narrative I'll be disappointed. I understand the problems surrounding the development of The East Wind but I really hope they don't use the 'fog of war' excuse to make a deliberately vague storyline again. In OFP we knew why we were fighting nearly right from the start - give us a reason to fight BIS! I'd like to see more detail regarding the main characters, something akin to that in Arma 2. Other than that, more novel missions (rather than just run and gun) and greater functionality of existing assets - things like fastroping (even though I'm not too fussed about it) and perhaps being able to pick objects up (intel from other people's maps perhaps), ability to pack and deploy the camouflage nets would add much more to the game than just another world setting. More interaction with characters to progress the storylines would be great too.

Now is definitely the time for functional naval and civilian assets (including women). It will be a hugely missed opportunity if they bottle it on this now.

I wonder if the focus on the digger was a subtle hint at Australians being involved?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digger_%28soldier%29

Nice island, dx12 will be beautiful.

wonder whether they'll add dx12 to main arma 3.

But disappointed, expected to have more infos about the expansion...

A'nd the whole PC game show event wasn't that interesting IMHO, I doubt they'll make it again next year...

@everyone bitching about 2016 release, it shows you have no fucking clue what it takes to make a single 3d asset. They asked for external developers for structures and buildings only about 1 month ago. Don't know if you've noticed, but with the exception of the port, there aren't any other villages or towns about...

Try and put 2 and 2 together...

@tanoa - so far it looks good, looking forward to more info about the expansion as a whole, besides the island itself (new shaders, engine upgrades (if any) etc)

Edited by PuFu

Admittedly it seems to me that the scope of the Expansion DLC is actually too broad for any specific feature to be "thematic" the way the prior DLC-accompanying features were, hence my lack of expectation of them... why hold one back for the DLC if it can be committed/pushed beforehand in the year leading up to the DLC's release?

@everyone bitching about 2016 release, it shows you have no fucking clue what it takes to make a single 3d asset. They asked for external developers for structures and buildings only about 1 month ago. Don't know if you've notices, but with the exception of the port, there aren't any other villages or towns about...

Try and put 2 and 2 together...

@tanoa - so far it looks good, looking forward to more info about the expansion as a whole, besides the island itself (new shaders, engine upgrades (if any) etc)

this.

Most players do not realize the man hours invested, and true $$$ value of the mods and assets they use and play with.

If modders/etc were paid, assuming a very low wage of $15/hr, most of the top mods/scenarios/etc are worth upwards of $25,000-50,000, some upwards of $150,000-200,000, in terms of cumulative man hours.

And you (the players) get it for ... wait for it ... wait for it ... Free!

Go to armaholic and check out all that Free DLC!

---------- Post added at 17:15 ---------- Previous post was at 17:10 ----------

I wonder if the focus on the digger was a subtle hint at Australians being involved?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digger_%28soldier%29

Considering there is a BI office in Australia --with easier access to AU military assets for reference-- and the geographic location of 'Tanoa', this seems congruent.

*as Chompster secretly sets his alarm clock, and places under pillow*

=P

Well I'll admit that i did somehow end up staying up till around 1:40 or something. But then found out it wasn't going to be 2am, but 3am! So yeah, turned off my PC and went to bed.

As for the video, looks interesting. Not getting a "This is war" feeling at all but it'll make for some interesting smuggler/drug cartel missions nonetheless(not the mention Jurassic and arma life modders/players are going to rejoice)

With so many islands is a small area and so much water, i really.. really hope they finally find a way to bring back amphibious tracked vehicles like Arma2 had. Other than that, gonna need to see more to even get a little bit hyped for this. So far only the civi plane is getting me a bit excited(and it has decent sounds!)

Just watched the trailer! Wow! :D This is a very, very good day!

Or use

for however long it remains up.
Well I'll admit that i did somehow end up staying up till around 1:40 or something. But then found out it wasn't going to be 2am, but 3am! So yeah, turned off my PC and went to bed.

As for the video, looks interesting. Not getting a "This is war" feeling at all

Perfectly appropriate when the official tagline is "War on the Horizon" instead, with an official premise that things at least looked swimmingly as of 2035, with mentions of "controversy and civil unrest" and "illicit trafficking" instead of recent full-blown civil war and concurrent insurgency...
but it'll make for some interesting smuggler/drug cartel missions nonetheless(not the mention Jurassic and arma life modders/players are going to rejoice)
Speaking of "smuggler/drug cartel missions", it's occurred to me that as long as a mission maker has access to the monoplane, a 2035 rendition of
will be reproducible with no community mods required.

This island is perfect location for the first mission from the

According to the AMD presentation DX12 will solve a lot of issues regarding performance optimization.

It was one of the first presentations, i advise you give it a look in case you missed it.

lets the "unsung" and "hell in the pacific " rising!;)

to be picky the time of day in the video i didn't like seems arma 2

I don't know... Let's hope that at time of release the AI is not able to see thru the grass and foliage because it going to be nightmare as it is right now.

hope this too !

My thoughts :

0:38 Looks like we'll still have these ugly midrange textures :(

0:44 Water reflection ! :)

0:49 Realistic looking water on shore line ! :)

0:55 Forest looks awesome but I can't help myself to laugh when I think about AI

I really hope water reflection and realistic looking water on shore line make it to Stratis & Altis.

anyway Silvador is a very powerful tool!

I wonder how they will do the jungle brushes and vegetations. Can we walk through them or will collide as now in A3?

My thoughts :

0:38 Looks like we'll still have these ugly midrange textures :(

0:44 Water reflection ! :)

0:49 Realistic looking water on shore line ! :)

0:55 Forest looks awesome but I can't help myself to laugh when I think about AI

I really hope water reflection and realistic looking water on shore line make it to Stratis & Altis.

Oh I cannot wait. That and 5 FPS the entire time I look at the island!

Now we have another map added to the big amount of eyecandy looking maps....ho....ho....hurray....?

Terrain looks interesting but the most important question for me is Dx12. Will dx12 be implemented to core arma 3 or only for the expansion?

I will not bring AI up yet ,maybe this map will be more PvP oriented to avoid AI problems.

maybe this map will be more PvP oriented to avoid AI problems.

my dream