dale0404

New terrain reveal - Tanoa

Frickin jacked to see how this new terrain pans out. Can't exactly explain why but this seems like it's gonna be thrilling. But Lord almighty, let there be women, else it is all for naught #nohomophobe

But Lord almighty, let there be women, else it is all for naught #nohomophobe

Yup, Tahitian women pls :don 12:

Sleep tight, you'll have ALL the infos and videos when you wake up

So true, hope that the offline videos are made available fast

Aside from Naval assets, what would be interesting is if what they meant by advancing in more wildlife depending on the region, i would be excited to see some dangerous jungle animals that can kill you. Lol, not even joking about this. It would bring another layer to Arma instead of just harmless rabbits and snakes. Maybe a Tiger in the jungle, with a decently rare spawn. That would be amazing.

Sleep tight my ass! I set the alarm clock to 3AM, half an hour less of sleep (actually, how long is the presentation anyways?) should be worth it :)

@Darkside:

No. I'm sorry, but no. Sure, maybe as NPCs spawned by the mission maker (kinda like the raptors in Jurassic ArmA), but not random spawns. I'd imagine I'd be seriously pissed if company HQ was eaten by a tiger during a tactical mission, haha

Dude it's amazing when it's actually rare. I remember making a Lingor mission in which an AI sniper team supports the player team by boat, scouting the coastline for enemies through the swamps. While troubleshooting I noticed that they randomly were disappearing and when I ran Troopmon I saw that an alligator was pulling them out of the small craft. A minute chance of this sort of thing can be awesome.

It should be really rare, I agree. But not as rare as the bigfoot on Chernarus though.

Indeed, I saw it once, and then never again.

Sleep tight my ass! I set the alarm clock to 3AM, half an hour less of sleep (actually, how long is the presentation anyways?) should be worth it :)

@Darkside:

No. I'm sorry, but no. Sure, maybe as NPCs spawned by the mission maker (kinda like the raptors in Jurassic ArmA), but not random spawns. I'd imagine I'd be seriously pissed if company HQ was eaten by a tiger during a tactical mission, haha

how about by a tactical bunny rabbit

Wow, the map exceeds even my wildest expectations. I'm hyped :cool:

seeing your avatar and the location under it made me wonder how detailed the under water is going to be. so far the feature is just a gimmick to me, atleast the combat, but i'm still curious if it's going to be worth exploring and more beautiful than Altis/Stratis.

I don't know I feel we are overhyping it a bit.

The only think we know for sure is that they intended to show that four pics, the text on the web and one video (we are only missing that video).

Tho who knows, maybe they still have something more to reveal and to look forward?

Yup, Tahitian women pls :don 12:

I hope so.

Wait there was a bigfoot in Cherno? There was an alligator in Lingor? wtf? How does one miss this?

No but seriously, i'm talking SUPER rare Tiger that spawns like any other animal, except it's like a 1 in 1000% chance. I mean seriously, i've thought about war in real life, and then i think about how no one ever brings up wildlife or any other causes getting in the way of combat, like at night on your way to an enemy position across land, but there happened to be like some bear or something. But it'd be great if there was some kind of rare danger, besides someone else with a gun, you know? =D

Granted, if you have a gun, than your probably ok.

I think the pic he posted looks fab, I just didn't think it was particularly pertinent to the discussion (on middle distance improvements) he was responding to.

That's correct, but I just wanted point out that you could also get improvements in this part what might get handy in combination with the mid range.

what he did there is make a normal map from the same height data as the height map originates from.

Actually not, it has been just a high res terrain, the engine lighting makes that shadows, the normal map details are only very tiny.

Anyway, curious to see what they will show in a few hours

Actually not, it has been just a high res terrain, the engine lighting makes that shadows, the normal map details are only very tiny.

ah i see. i was interpreting it wrong based on what you said. should've taken a closer look instaed of glancing over it. after taking a closer look i see it now. i wonder what exactly you did though. did you just make a normal map from the diffuse? seems like it since the bright sand seems raised. either way looks great. i think i haven't seen such fine detail in a sat normal in arma yet.

Damn - it's in the middle of the night..... But ok - tomorrow evening hopefully the vids are up and ready to watch. :)

Thanks, I came in pretty late to the series so I'm not too familiar with most features that were added later. But I can see the merit in bringing up VBS in discussions if these enhancements came from there.
Depends on your definition of "came from there", concept-wise or code-wise? For example, sling-loading was in VBS2 v1.22 at least -- that is, over six years and two Arma installments ago -- but that required placing a pair of *ahem* script-objects in the Editor per scenario instead of Arma 3's seeming engine-native capability-from-the-get-go, while the user functions were carried out
instead of a dedicated keybind. Similarly, as you can see if you can find a copy of JCOVE Lite, VBS2/3 FFV functionality isn't 1:1 with Arma 3's.
Yeah, it was more of an observation. Any discussion on this forum that goes on long enough will get a mention of VBS sooner or later :D

The modules do look impressive but I bet their pricetag does as well :/

Pretty much the difference... that, and in the case of my specific links the utility of the Ambience modules is only as good as the corresponding AIs behaviors (i.e. how does the game enforce their "patterns of life"), while the character-specific profile, Associations, and Interactions additions in the Behavior Modeling Suite seem to be meant for individual "set piece" scenarios scripted in the conventional-videogame sense (i.e. a COD campaign); to me it's the idea of role/type-specific behavior templates seems more if not most applicable to Arma "in general".

Reminder for anyone reading this thread, we're just under six hours out to the reveal as of this post.

Don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet, but one of our guys just spotted this wrecked plane in the jungle pic:

http://i.imgur.com/B8AU4Tom.png

Full size image

BONZAAIIIII

i think i saw that somewhere in lost tv show(not sure) when in season 2 or 3 they found a drug carrier plane wreck in trees like that...

also about details, in the pic with the quarry, is it me or the quarry go deeper than the water level???

Edited by freesets

Thermal Vision, Backup Ironsights, IR Lasers, Gestures, Firing from Vehicles (Or rather a much better analogue).

Aside from the thermal and maybe the IR lasers, the technology behind all of these features in ArmA are not based on VBS. In fact, gestures came from ArmA first.

meh.. don't see it being worth staying up till 2am on a week day. I'll just check it out tomorrow.

meh.. don't see it being worth staying up till 2am on a week day. I'll just check it out tomorrow.

*as Chompster secretly sets his alarm clock, and places under pillow*

=P

Reminder for anyone reading this thread, we're just under six hours out to the reveal as of this post.

Considering there has already been a leak on the internet to what the new terrain is. It wasn't hard for me and others to find out where the new map is going to be. I've only seen a couple of images but I must say, thought it was going to be a bit bigger.

I'm not posting any links as I'm not going to spoil the surprise for those that are waiting for it to be shown live.

As said in a previous post, it's not only the island (and for now, we've only seen 4 screenshots - dunno for you, but I'm eager to see more), it's also about ALL the infos we can have about the expansion.