dale0404

New terrain reveal - Tanoa

Sure, you might believe the Arma Life mentality screwed things up. But to be honest, what's mil sim without civilians? That's like have a large scale war that suddenly takes place in say... California somewhere, and suddenly there's no civilians. Just the two main forces. Civil assets are important too, for atmosphere. That's why it's there. But in an Open Sandbox game, creativity always prevails. That's why they can come up with other things, besides just mil-focused missions. Civilian assets aren't always that bad. I can't wait to try the jet ski. I just hope there's bigger, badder boats. =P

That is actually what worried me initially.

That the expansion would be heavily focused on civilian items to cater to the Arma life crowd.

Hopefully at the end of the day that is not the case.

<snip>

Edited by tortuosit

I have removed my post as I think I think the blog post was a mistake... I don't want to spoil it anymore. Shall we remove any links before the media gets hold of it and spoils the E3 show?

My two cents.

Uhm an "accidental leak" when published in the official website, on friday afternoon, just a weekend before the presentation... Showing just a few pics but keeping the video and other info, like if they were trying to build hype. :rolleyes:

What has been seen can’t be unseen.

As for the demo next week, really looking forward to see on-the-ground, in-game first person perspective under the canopy of that jungle. Will lend itself greatly to SOG style recon missions, inserting by rope down a clearing

I wouldn't worry too much. These things don't often occur by accident. BI understand the power of a well orchestrated 'leak'.

+1, they got our attention (and closed the "leak"), we are all hyped for the E3 now ;)

Turn down the grass and play with a clean shaved terrain! :cool:

He is talking about falling trees, once they are on the ground you can shoot trough them.

That the expansion would be heavily focused on civilian items to cater to the Arma life crowd. Hopefully at the end of the day that is not the case.

No idea where you got that from but it's not the case.... :D

Regarding the leak as a whole: The content you have seen is valid and was indeed not intended to be published yet. No "orchestrated" event but simply an honest mistake. Apart from spoiling the surprise, not much damage has been done and as outlined in a PM to Smiley Nick, business will go on as usual. Keep an eye out on the E3 presentation in about 3 days for the full, still unseen, video and further details though!

Jeeezus!? Whoever uploaded it better buy lunch for the next week :D

Oh well move along, nothing to see here :j:

Yeah, I'm sure it had no serious effect. All we got was the background and 4 pics, not too detailed however. There's much to see of the island(s) still. If anything this makes the wait for E3 even more exciting.

But at last, maybe they will finally fix their amphibious and water based tech.

What has been seen can’t be unseen.

As for the demo next week, really looking forward to see on-the-ground, in-game first person perspective under the canopy of that jungle. Will lend itself greatly to SOG style recon missions, inserting by rope down a clearing

You might be on to something here. If BIS includes fast roping/heli-borne rappelling it will totally change the way we conduct small unit tactics.

I think it may be an important feature, seeing as, judging by the pictures, there is a fair bit of jungle canopy. So it may even be required.

Edited by Broduz

I really hope the civilian stuff in the screen shots are really all there is.

Hope the civilian additions are super limited, Arma is a mil sim after all.

Civilians comprise ~90% of the population in every conflict area.

Given the improved graphics, the fact that it is a heavily vegetated land mass, the release date, and previous confirmation that dx12 will come to arma 3, I'm hoping for dx12, and enscript compatibility, personally... The latter is probably a pipe dream for a3, but the thing I am most hoping for out of this expansion is a meaningful address of long-standing performance issues. It seems there may finally be something to look forward to on that front... but, I won't get my hopes up.

Given the improved graphics, the fact that it is a heavily vegetated land mass, the release date, and previous confirmation that dx12 will come to arma 3,

When did they confirm dx12? For Arma 3?

Sorry but your imagination is way to wild :)

Best advice for everyone is to have no expectations at all. I've been around since 2003 so I guess my advice is based on something.

No idea where you got that from but it's not the case.... :D

It has been already said the past that the expansion will be focused on Civilians. Of course it was not intended to be A3L or any other RPG related thing, however it's still a weird coincidence that the only leaked screens shows something absolutly not related to war. I'm glad to see finally a real civilian faction but I'm a bit scared it will only bring benefits to RPG mods rather then Arma 3.

From "this is war" by looking at the guy on the motorboat looks more like "This is summer, time to party". Just a first impression tho, and I'm curious to see how it actually is.

Mainly I want to see if REAL underground buildings have been added.

Best advice for everyone is to have no expectations at all.

Easy for them to exceed expectations in that case :)

I think they (and this community) often sell themselves short, personally. I also don't think the status quo is a sustainable model for them.

Regarding the leak as a whole: The content you have seen is valid and was indeed not intended to be published yet. No "orchestrated" event but simply an honest mistake. Apart from spoiling the surprise, not much damage has been done and as outlined in a PM to Smiley Nick, business will go on as usual. Keep an eye out on the E3 presentation in about 3 days for the full, still unseen, video and further details though!

Well, IMHO it was positive, it increase our hunger for more! And can't wait for the presentation! :)

Of course it was not intended to be A3L or any other RPG related thing, however it's still a weird coincidence that the only leaked screens shows something absolutly not related to war. I'm glad to see finally a real civilian faction but I'm a bit scared it will only bring benefits to RPG mods rather then Arma 3.

From that screens and a bit of imagination I see anti-pirate sea missions, anti smuggling (that civ plane can be used by the drug dealers), conventional wars for the control of the resources, guerrilla wars in that jungle, etc.

I use the RPG mods' assets to add more life in my military missions. As said before, modern wars are usually fought in alive places not in uninhibited barrens.

They could even add a static oil platform for CT missions.

Edited by MistyRonin

The screenshots looked very nice and I can't wait for the E3 video to see more. I'm really going to enjoy the change of scenery, Altis and Stratis just don't cut it for me.

It has been already said the past that the expansion will be focused on Civilians. Of course it was not intended to be A3L or any other RPG related thing, however it's still a weird coincidence that the only leaked screens shows something absolutly not related to war. I'm glad to see finally a real civilian faction but I'm a bit scared it will only bring benefits to RPG mods rather then Arma 3.

From "this is war" by looking at the guy on the motorboat looks more like "This is summer, time to party". Just a first impression tho, and I'm curious to see how it actually is.

To be fair, there probably are only few if any mlitary assets to show. Maybe they just reached a stage where they can show the terrain but the factions are not fully developed yet. I wouldn't go that far to assume that the expansion will focus on civies. I'd love more civillian assets (please, clothes with long pants) but the armed forces obviousy take priority in a milsim / tactical shooter / whatever Arma really is.

To be fair, there probably are only few if any mlitary assets to show. Maybe they just reached a stage where they can show the terrain but the factions are not fully developed yet. I wouldn't go that far to assume that the expansion will focus on civies. I'd love more civillian assets (please, clothes with long pants) but the armed forces obviousy take priority in a milsim / tactical shooter / whatever Arma really is.

Ehem, Open World Combined Arms Simulation Military Sandbox. =D

Or OWCASMS, for short.

Just wondering where it was said or confirmed that it will be focused on civilians? Hopefully as in guerrilla warfare. We need better run down technicals imho.

Certainly its one thing that BI do very well, the terrains.

Sometimes you hear players from around the internet belittling the graphics and overall look of this series (all the series). But since the beginning, BI have made, from what has been available tech wise for them, great terrains. These are always believable, even if we sometimes don't think a war zone should/had been there. They are always done with a true sense of realism, which for me, makes the series special. Its not Hollywood nonsense, but true gritty (sometimes) honesty, which is very commendable.

This new terrain seems to follow that, it looks to have taken a couple of things, well one initially from VBS, which is the water reflection, it would be nice if the streams and rivers (should there be any) also be like VBS too. The jungle/forest pic is incredible and shows the depth of detail that BI puts into their terrains.

As said, players bemoan the series for terrible graphics, but should you play any of them since OFP, on the highest settings, for its time that each came out, you simply can't moan at the level of detail and commitment by BI. These terrains from this series stand out, for me, above any terrains from any other game. They stand out as real and un-glamourized, which sits very well with the series as a whole.

With this new terrain, BIS MUST (and I hope they will) add fastrope feature.

In jungle, it's a must have to deploy troops.

I really hope this feature will come for the expansion!

Certainly its one thing that BI do very well, the terrains.

Sometimes you hear players from around the internet belittling the graphics and overall look of this series (all the series). But since the beginning, BI have made, from what has been available tech wise for them, great terrains. These are always believable, even if we sometimes don't think a war zone should/had been there. They are always done with a true sense of realism, which for me, makes the series special. Its not Hollywood nonsense, but true gritty (sometimes) honesty, which is very commendable.

This new terrain seems to follow that, it looks to have taken a couple of things, well one initially from VBS, which is the water reflection, it would be nice if the streams and rivers (should there be any) also be like VBS too. The jungle/forest pic is incredible and shows the depth of detail that BI puts into their terrains.

As said, players bemoan the series for terrible graphics, but should you play any of them since OFP, on the highest settings, for its time that each came out, you simply can't moan at the level of detail and commitment by BI. These terrains from this series stand out, for me, above any terrains from any other game. They stand out as real and un-glamourized, which sits very well with the series as a whole.

Yep Arma series is the most realistic looking game for me. There's just something right that makes it look like real. Many good looking games just look good but they're missing the realistic aspect.