dale0404

New terrain reveal - Tanoa

The small plane in the screenshot may indicate proper plane physics :P never know :)

I was hoping for a winter/snow terrain, but this will probably be fun aswell. Hopefully the expansion will include performance enhancements such as: Multi-threading, AI-performance and intelligence and maybe DX12, we'll see.

My pc is already screaming...more power :D looks amasing, I will so be creating a map with concrete ramps just above water line for my shiney new jet ski if they get confirmed :D Is it tuesday yet?

Anyone else concerned that this is going to run like molasses if you lack a supercomputer?

Anyone else concerned that this is going to run like molasses if you lack a supercomputer?
No. The terrain is a GPU thang. And VD,ObjD isnt a issue for jungle terrain.

Anyone found the real world island?

No. The terrain is a GPU thang. And VD,ObjD isnt a issue for jungle terrain.

Depends how much concentrated the vegetation is, it's not so automatic.

But i think BI thought of that already, and one of the reasons they scaled back from altis-size to tanoa-size is probably that.

Depends how much concentrated the vegetation is, it's not so automatic.

But i think BI thought of that already, and one of the reasons they scaled back from altis-size to tanoa-size is probably that.

And to put it blunt, we still don't know exactly how big Tanoa actually is. The view distance seems to be quite low... on purpose. We all know BIS's computers can run that with full View Distance, and i'm 110% sure they aren't trying to simulate fog.

---------- Post added at 23:57 ---------- Previous post was at 23:55 ----------

The small plane in the screenshot may indicate proper plane physics :P never know :)

A low possibility, but to be honest, that's the first thing i thought of, was the prop plane being a test bed for proper physics of Fixed Wing Aircraft. But judging on the way it's facing, and the tilt... it appears to be the same old flight model.

Looks great BIS.

Good stuff, looking forward to using this :)

Pretty amazing stuff!!!!

Anyone found the real world island?

Just spent time searching Upolu Island-Tanoa, and Samoa islands no relavent results, may have been wrong though after just doin a quick search.

I don't think we should be looking for an island with a mine on it. Engineered locations such as mines and harbours can be easily added to any terrain. Also notice there are two separate mine sites in the screenshots.

The features I see are a relatively straight section of coast, with a ridge of hills to the ocean and nothing taller apparent behind them. There is also an island or two opposite the major harbour. No obvious beaches in sight and the water looks too dark to be a lagoon. There's not much to go on, and so many islands to compare.

Not saying you're wrong or that they didn't use it for inspiration or anything but the angles of that are all wrong. They aren't lined up the same way so at the very least it is not supposed to be a 1:1 copy of it.

I also am not 100% convinced that it's a model of Lihir. The gold mine on Lihir is right on the water immediately next to the main city and port. Perhaps they moved the mine a little inland? I also can't find the brown cone near the shore shown in the other shot. But Lihir isn't out of the question, especially if BI used a little artistic license. Lihir is about right for a major terrain in terms of it's size (~203 square km), compared to about 41 km2 for Stratis.

The gold mine on Lihir is one of the largest in the world (>9 million oz Au), and is located in the caldera of an extinct volcano. It is highly geothermally active, the only mine with hot, mineralized waters circulating through the ore!

http://www.newcrest.com.au/our-business/operations/lihir/

Edited by OMAC

Thanks Smiley Nick for your great hack :notworthy:

At the moment i don't make to "high jumps" it's the same with altis/stratis when the camera is enought high it looks fantastic, we know all how bad looks on ground with his mid range texture!

There also isn't a volcano on Lihir Island as far as i can tell on GE (google earth), so erm...

Well, not a recent one, anyway. The gold mine at Lihir is within the Luise Caldera, an extinct, collapsed volcano. It is highly eroded, and only about 2/3 of it is preserved, the rest having been completely eroded away. So it no longer resembles a typical composite volcano. See the image on that web site I mentioned. Being located on the Pacific Rim, it is a volcanic island. There is a mountain on the southern half of the island west of the town of Kinami which vaguely resembles the brown cone in the BI screenshot, but I can't be sure, as it is covered in clouds in GE. That mountain looks to be further inland than the brown cone on the screenshot.

I can't wait to fight in the jungle! But if there's no campaign, and just a few showcases, to hell with it.

Edited by OMAC

I really hope the civilian stuff in the screen shots are really all there is.

Hope the civilian additions are super limited, Arma is a mil sim after all.

Pft wtf? The amount of civilian stuff is what made OFP and Resistance a great milsim game and more immersive. I hope the BIS doesn't have too much fallout from this leak. I'm sure they had contracts with the event planners and sponsors.

Yes, because civilians and civilian stuff is completely absent wherever military stuff takes place.

I hope there's an old and sunk Jap battleship or submarine that we can explore!