dale0404

New terrain reveal - Tanoa

Here it is as the background for the countdown-to-reveal page, and here's a look at just the stars.
I'm guessing this will be a paid DLC then? Excited for this. Anything green and tropical! ;)
It's a paid DLC, combining the new terrain with "military vehicles, weapons, gear, characters, scenarios, and more."

Shweet. Looks great. Can you post a link to this BIS image outline you source by chance?

I'm guessing this will be a paid DLC then? Excited for this. Anything green and tropical! ;)

afaik, it will be part of an expansion rather than a DLC. Similar to what OA is to A2.

What if the smaller islands are the Senkaku islands, and we see Japanese forces?

No, I don't think BI would bring real world disput into the game. The sovereignty of the disputed islands haven't been solved between China and Japan. Fighting on these islands against China will definitely angers a billion people (well I guess by no means would BI make US side an opfor). I guess BI will make an fictional story on non-disputed islands so no one feels affended.

90% its Pulau Serasan..look here at 0:33

Theres CSAT flag right on it between malaysia and borneo

New terrain is Pulau Serasen. This was confirmed as the outline of the island matches the outline in the image released by BI.

http://www.visitborneo.com/locations/location-profile.php?borneoid=8372477

This is pretty much a 90% chance of being correct. This island would be good for tropical operations with boats and helicopters.

Extremely unlikely IMO. All BI maps have a good amount of villages and at least a big town, they also have an airport at least ( even if they added two aircraft carriers, it would be still lacking. They also always have a flat area for tank fights.

Tho it's probable that is an island or archipelago in the Asia-Pacific area as the stars show that it will be in the Southern Hemisphere, and they match quite good how they are seen in the French Polynesia.

So its probably gonna be a tropical setting where boats and helicopters may be the kings.

90% its Pulau Serasan..look here at 0:33

Theres CSAT flag right on it between malaysia and borneo

Good catch!

New terrain is Pulau Serasen. This was confirmed as the outline of the island matches the outline in the image released by BI.

What matches what?

Adonara in Indonesia also matches the shape... And there's a CSAT flag there in that map, and a lot of others in that area :P

LQBiZlu.jpg

Extremely unlikely IMO. All BI maps have a good amount of villages and at least a big town, they also have an airport at least ( even if they added two aircraft carriers, it would be still lacking.

Well, the real Chernarus doesn't have an airport either, and the northwest of Lemnos is completely empty. So BI could always add airports and villages how they please.

Adonara has an area and population similar to Lemnos (Altis, area 477km2 and 17,000 inhabitants), lots of villages and roads, allowing diff kinds of warfare. I'd rather an archipelago, but Adonara could be a good match.

slide3.jpg

Today there is no airport, but in 2035...

Govt to build an airport in Adonara

Edited by MistyRonin

Adonara in Indonesia also matches the shape... And there's a CSAT flag there in that map, and a lot of others in that area :P

Addon-ara. :)

snip...

I actually thought of a way to have new missile physics for Naval Missile systems. Basically, an AGM that can only fire straight up. But it's turning speed is so slow that it won't instantly turn inland and smack a mountain. But it slowly curves up and out and eventually down onto it's target. Piece of cake.

On related topic though, interesting finds, but idk. That island seems a bit too small for the BIs's next "Large Terrain". My hopes still go to at least an Archipelago with some Mainland.

On related topic though, interesting finds, but idk. That island seems a bit too small for the BIs's next "Large Terrain". My hopes still go to at least an Archipelago with some Mainland.

Too small? If Lemnos was reduced a lot to become Altis... (from 477 km2 to 270km2)... So 507 km2 would be maybe even too much. It's an expansion, so probably is gonna be smaller.

Another possibility btw is Grenada & Carriacou (348 km2). Well known for the US invasion. But too many people, 109K inhabitants, and it's in the Northen Hemisphere.

The Seychelles would be nicer, as they are a full archipelago, that have a total area of 459 km2 (tho again, too many inhabitants, 92k). Could be quite awesome to jump from one island to the other (tho no terrain for tank battles, so unlikely).

Mayotte it's another interesting option. But way too crowded (212k people).

Ko Samui in Thailand, 228 km2 x 66K inhabitants.

I'm all for an Archipelago.

Edited by MistyRonin

Too small? If Lemnos was reduced a lot to become Altis... (from 477 km2 to 270km2)... So 507 km2 would be maybe even too much.

Another possibility btw is Grenada & Carriacou (348 km2). Well known for the US invasion. But too many people, 109K inhabitants, and it's in the Northen Hemisphere.

The Seychelles would be nicer, as they are a full archipelago, that have a total area of 459 km2 (tho again, too many inhabitants, 92k). Could be quite awesome to jump from one island to the other (tho no terrain for tank battles, so unlikely).

Mayotte it's another interesting option. But way too crowded (212k people).

I'm all for an Archipelago.

after looking it up in more detail on map, i realized it's actually pretty big. But, it doesn't look to different to Altis, in terms of Geography.

Some of those other islands are interesting, but SO MANY CHOICES! Lol, it's so hard to find a solid claim even with decent evidence from the stars, the Arma 3 Intro, Geography! GG BIS, you've really spun us around on this one.

after looking it up in more detail on map, i realized it's actually pretty big. But, it doesn't look to different to Altis, in terms of Geography.

Think that Arma engine has it's limitations. So no big cliffs, nor big rock formations. It shouldn't have excessive flora as it would kill FPS. It has to allow the devs to reuse old assets somehow, or modify them in that direction.

Think that Arma engine has it's limitations. So no big cliffs, nor big rock formations. It shouldn't have excessive flora as it would kill FPS. It has to allow the devs to reuse old assets somehow, or modify them in that direction.

Not neccesarily. Remember OA had complete different buildings, assets, and terrain. I expect the same. re-using assets, or even modifying them to look different is NOT what we want. We will be paying for new content, not re-used assets. Lets not have this end up being a re-skin of buildings or vehicles. The last thing we want is a Speedboat minigun with PLA/Indonesia paint scheme, and call it "new" assets.

Everyone is trying to guess which island it is.

But maybe BIS has made a brand new island that doesn't exist IRL.

I actually thought of a way to have new missile physics for Naval Missile systems. Basically, an AGM that can only fire straight up. But it's turning speed is so slow that it won't instantly turn inland and smack a mountain. But it slowly curves up and out and eventually down onto it's target. Piece of cake.
If what you meant was "unscripted vertical launch systems (VLS)", that was already achieved, though the seemingly-heavy scripting in TBOC Sims' release was about more than just VLS.

@MistyRonin: I don't quite agree, not when Bohemia was soliciting artists presumably to diversify the possible assets for the Expansion terrain.

Everyone is trying to guess which island it is.

But maybe BIS has made a brand new island that doesn't exist IRL.

That's been the case for all of Bohemia's terrains, the guessing is about its real-world basis.

No, I mean: Altis and Stratis are based on real islands (Lemnos and ....)

But other BIS terrains were not, only inspired by real terrains (Takistan : Afghanistan, Chernarus : Eastern Europe, etc...).

So, maybe BIS didn't base the new terrain on an existing one, but only took inspiration from it.

That would be interesting for re-creating some historical conflicts. But knowing BI, they will probably opt for a more real possibility of tension area so if it is based in Asia I would expect it to be based around the current South China Sea islands dispute (of course with altered namings and some other changes). But the 'futuristic' aspect can interestingly twist matters, as seen in A3.

But other BIS terrains were not, only inspired by real terrains (Takistan : Afghanistan, Chernarus : Eastern Europe, etc...).

So, maybe BIS didn't base the new terrain on an existing one, but only took inspiration from it.

Chernarus and Takistan are both based on real world locations.

No I mean, Altis and Stratis (short of the airport on Stratis) are both copy-and-paste - which is not for the other terrains.

So, I just say that maybe the new terrain is not a copy-and-paste from a real location, but only something inspired by IRL terrain.

Chernarus and takistan are real.

Chernarus

Takistan