dale0404

New terrain reveal - Tanoa

It could be part of Africa, similar to the Ugandan terrain shown in
. There is some precedent, as Altis was shown in
back in 2011.

EDIT: apologies for any ensuing talk of VBS features such as rivers etc.

LOl, yeah. Having watched that again just now, we could really use their water effects, would solve the problem of people looking through the water line to see clearly underwater. =P

fine by me. Just have them go on roads as usual, add water routes, and if they are tasked to go offroad, have them disembark, and go on foot. =D

---------- Post added at 15:20 ---------- Previous post was at 15:18 ----------

There was actually one mountain in Sarhani that was un reachable by foot. So it's not too far fetched. In fact, they could add in cliff side roads to add flavor or more interesting gameplay. There's no fun in keeping it safe, honestly.

I'm imagining me trying to find a shortcut by climbing atop a mountain in Fallout or Skyrim and immediately falling to my death. I hate mountains. But maybe, just maybe, it'll work out.

Edited by themightykovacs
Added Quote(s)

It could be part of Africa, similar to the Ugandan terrain shown in
. There is some precedent, as Altis was shown in
back in 2011.

EDIT: apologies for any ensuing talk of VBS features such as rivers etc.

As many said many times, Bi Studio and Bi Simulations are two different companies with different costumers. On the 2012 video, they were using image from Arma 2 and A3 for advertising, nothing more. There is no such thing in VBS3, trust me.

Edited by Papanowel

Part of me thinks the island ties more in with gameplay than just location. Altis/Stratis are huge and serve the combined arms game-play well. I think we will be exposed to the more "daring" side of BIS - as Altis/Stratis proved to be a difficult time for the company and staff and i don't expect they want to touch geo-specific 1:1 terrains any time soon.

I hope they let their hair down and offer us good assets for future community terrains and focus on exploring guerrilla style game-play or survivalist elements.

Bah! I was looking for something with a channel.. Well spotted vegeta, and to think how many times I've ran up that hill!

@undeceived it's the arma3.com page background, shows how much I don't visit that page, it used to be some blue black gradient thing which I was what I wanted to grab in the first place if anyone knows where I can get it.

Please don't be naval focused, Please don't be naval focused , please don't be naval focused.

Please don't be naval focused, Please don't be naval focused , please don't be naval focused.

Hopefully it wont just have naval stuff, but instead will seek to expand upon the physx implementation. Such as the aforementioned logistics stuff. I mean, why add slingloading and then no way of moving the object from the LZ to somewhere else via land?

To bad for you :P and for the rest of us this is a long way away from us. But hey, devs just fixed waves in mp to be synced. yeey for us

Yea but my comment on the video,that water effect is just what we need in arma proper water physx. And that big ship, damn all the stuff people wants from the arma 3 is in VBS 3 :(

To bad for you :P and for the rest of us this is a long way away from us. But hey, devs just fixed waves in mp to be synced. yeey for us

Yea but my comment on the video,that water effect is just what we need in arma proper water physx. And that big ship, damn all the stuff people wants from the arma 3 is in VBS 3 :(

Naval Features simply wont be used.

Remember diving.....

Naval Features simply wont be used.

Remember diving.....

I think they aren´t used because of lack of assets. Right now you cant do anything except beach insertions with divers.

lol arma never was naval focused ,but now A3 could shine in the naval area because its new

imagine properly working ships and amphibious vehicles with fully armed marines on board - ffv , diving , artillery etc heh

Edited by RobertHammer

Please be naval focused, Please be naval focused, Please be naval focused.

I hope there will be Great White sharks... :)

I hope there will be Great White sharks... :)

If one dies they will be all gone in a few days for at least a year.

lol arma never was naval focused ,but now A3 could shine in the naval area because its new

imagine properly working ships and amphibious vehicles with fully armed marines on board - ffv , diving , artillery etc heh

Indeed. BI opened a sea of possibilities in this iteration of Arma, we have all the ingredients to bring proper amphibious warfare, one of the infantry modern warfare facades that has been missing in the OFP/Arma series for long.

It's quite funny, specially having in mind that most of battles along human history have been fought in the coast or next to the coast (well, 80% of the World's population lives by the coast).

I think large scale ship-to-ship battles are kinda out of scope for A3. You'd need really large maps to simulate proper engagements with current day tech, let alone 2030's tech with ship-mounted rail guns and whatnot most likely becoming a common sight.

On the other hand, having more RHIB-class and slightly larger faction-unique patrol boats would be nice. No more copy and paste re-textures of the same boats and diving gear pretty please. I'm quite sure that CSAT (which is supposed to be superior in R&D and economy wise compared to the West) would not be using the same tech as the U.S. when they can develop their own instead of reverse engineering everything...

Right now you cant do anything except beach insertions with divers.
I thought about naval scenarios for some time and figured out there's literally nothing to do in the water except insertions and wreck recovery. The visibility is extremely poor, the movement is slow and somewhat annoying, the combat is non-existent, the landscape is basically a sandy valley with some rocks here and there, the AI have a hard time navigating and so on. There's nothing BI can do about most of those things - just because ocean is indeed big, boring volume of water as far as "military sandbox" concerned.

All fingers and toes crossed for a swampy, wetlands, ponds, lakes, rivers, deltas, brown-water navy friendly, terrain. A new professional map by BIS with a soggy environment would rock in ArmA III. Hell yeah! Please. Please. Please. A frogman's dream....

I thought about naval scenarios for some time and figured out there's literally nothing to do in the water except insertions and wreck recovery. The visibility is extremely poor, the movement is slow and somewhat annoying, the combat is non-existent, the landscape is basically a sandy valley with some rocks here and there, the AI have a hard time navigating and so on. There's nothing BI can do about most of those things - just because ocean is indeed big, boring volume of water as far as "military sandbox" concerned.

In modern naval battles visibility is not needed, it's even more exaggerated than in air combat. Naval combat nowadays happens at dozens and even hundreds of kms from ship to ship.

Said that. In the A3 scale of things, there's a lot of possibilities from amphibious and coastal warfare:

- Using small ships as artillery support for ground units (naval gunfire, rockets, missiles).

- Using ships as a platform to deploy helos, amphibious vehicles, etc. like in Arma 2 (in my community we still a lot of A2 maps in A3 for that reason).

- More complex sea mine cleaning (with small demining ships, or divers).

- Sabotage with divers.

- Boat raids into coastal villages or infrastructure.

- Mini-Submarine hunt (with helos, small patrol boats, etc., just check the recent submarine incidents in Stockholm).

- Sea support for coastal ops.

- Anti-pirate missions (like in Somalia).

- Pilot recovery.

- Conventional disembark (check the US invasion of Grenada or the war in the Malvinas / Faklands)

Just check the US WW2 campaign in the Pacific. It was 90% amphibious warfare. It's the more appropriate kind of warfare for small islands like Altis.

Edited by MistyRonin

(well, 80% of the World's population lives by the coast).

Actually, only about 40% of the world population lives within 100km of the coast.

But I would definitely like to see some amphibious action.

Actually, only about 40% of the world population lives within 100km of the coast.

How many people live near the ocean?

60 miles = 96 km

Three-quarters of the world’s mega-cities are by the sea.*

By 2010, 80 per cent of people will live within 60 miles of the coast.*

…by 2010 some 80 percent of people will live within 62 miles of the coast, with about 40 percent living within 37 miles of a coastline.*

“For a while, it was said, ‘Oh, two-thirds of all the population lives within 100 kilometers of a coastline,†… The numbers showed that low-elevation areas (under 10 meters/30 feet) are home to 634 million people….â€Roughly one in 10 persons in the world lives in this low-elevation coastal zone,†Balk says.*

No one needs large scale Naval Combat. What wee need is more Naval assets, and it wouldn't even hurt to add even a certain feature too with the addition of such. Imagine having a few more medium boats, patrol boats, logistical boats. Now throw in that long lost feature of being able to walk on a moving object. Now you can stand and walk around on a boat that's capable of either patrol, or logistics, you can sort you inventory of what ever you have on board while on the move, you can use your binocs, laser designator, you can probably even launch a darn Darter from out at sea. Anyhow, as of now, we have 3 small Boats with repaints. Oh, and SDV. So 3 and a half. None except the Seal Delivery Vehicle, provide much gameplay opportunity. So as of yet, the sea it's pretty much dead. In fact so dead that I don't remember touching the water since Beta, except for one time when I got shot down and was forced to bail with my entire Platoon into the ocean off the coast of Kavala. That's about the only time I touched the water. Yes, we survived.

I don't think we'll see Railguns anytime soon. Those would be an interesting add to Arma 3, but honestly, rail guns are not over powered. They have limited close range capability, and can't arc like arty or a mortar. Therefore bound to long range... Which is probably why our beloved Railgun tank didn't make it. There's no map big enough for it's purpose.

Anyhow, I do hope BIS open their eyes and see the potential of Naval assets and bring that into Arma 3. That's one of the few weakest joints, but it is indeed, the weakest part of the series. Come on BIS, it's 2015. Hopefully this new terrain provides some of that new gameplay opportunity.