dale0404

New terrain reveal - Tanoa

Just throwing some smoke grenades in here... ;)

All I can say that your pic doesn't match too well with the Arma one.

:D Yeah, that's right. :)

It doesn't need to match though as I don't think BI saw the photo in the internet and wanted to reproduce it exactly like that ingame. :-p

Anyway - just wild speculation.

It's likley they'd gone to locations to re create them, as it's the best way to get terrain in game, and recreate it in high detail. They did that with Altis, didn't go to, too well for some Dev's... The modder working on the Ukraine map actually takes pictures of the area, and makes his map accordingly. Being not even complete yet, i'd say it's the best mod map not available for Arma 3 yet. If they recreate what ever map they plan on making at least to the same standard as they did Altis, than it would be great. But, there is suppose to be decent sized towns, so that should be a clue as well.

My idea was:

1. we know the Crux position

2. we know the time. the countdown time

So here is my vote:

http://i.imgur.com/LuU1Qnt.jpg (236 kB)

Edit: The only issue is that it's daytime at that time there. :(

Edited by danczer

Just throwing some smoke grenades in here... ;)

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r500/Undeceived/Unbenannt_zpsp9m2ayrb.png~original

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r500/Undeceived/Arma%20stuff/pulauserasan3_zpsgwbxqyc9.png~original

Now compare the last picture with the first (the screenshot).

• Big mountain in the background - CHECK
  • South China Sea as potential source of conflict (maybe already much more deveolped as today's tensions) in combination with the Chinese CSAT units - CHECK
  • Crux visible from there - CHECK (at least for a few hours every night during the northern winter and spring -- read Wiki)

:icon_wink: In reality, it's just wild guess. :D But I really saw some similarity, looking at that photo!

well played sir

If we find out the in-game datetime we can calculate the exact location.

If we find out the in-game datetime we can calculate the exact location.

That's literally impossible... I mean, even if we do find out where that sky is at the time of date, there is still the factor of the sky not actually being from the game. Everyone, go to the countdown page. Look at the sky. Now, if you look closer, you can see a bit of reflection on the water. It doesn't look like the same night sky, in a sense, not to mention that the sky is not connected to the terrain. Scrolling up and down will reveal that the sky is a background piece to give it a neat effect. It could, or could not be sky from in game. I've never seen Arma sky look that good now that i think about it...

That's literally impossible...

If you can dream it, you can do it!

Now, if you look closer, you can see a bit of reflection on the water. It doesn't look like the same night sky, in a sense, not to mention that the sky is not connected to the terrain.

Reflection on the water can be the Moon. It's a known bug.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/718668830100295825/7DEA1CE56139B20F696E5A6B73E93E58F79AA2B8/

Btw i think you underestimate BI's skill. You don't remember what was before arma 3 announcement?

Trying figure out expansion by matching constellation...you guys are nuts

And finally there will be civilians!

AntarcticaDomeCSnow2small.jpg?psid=1

Imagine the possibilities!

There where already so much asian themed hints in the dev-branch-update thread it's obvious that it's going to be in the asian region. They also looked at amphibious vehicle problems... after the problem existing since alpha, all of a sudden they decide to go and fix it.

I would be reeeeally surprised (and sad) if it's not something pacific/asian themed

I just hope the factions are not so ludicrously beyond suspension of disbelief like CSAT...

Edited by X3KJ

Trying figure out expansion by matching constellation...you guys are nuts

It's not nuts, it's actually the most logical way of finding out where you are. Imagine you got kidnapped, and they covered your eyes. You then get let go somewhere, some fr away place, it's night time, and since your in wilderness, there's no light pollution. You can now see all the stars super clear, but nothing else. You have no idea what part of the world your in. You can essentially use the constellation as a guide. It's actually basic knowledge, in fact, that's how us humans traveled before compasses and all that stuff came into existence. The stars were Human's original guide, still are to many. So nuts? Not so much. It's just going back to the most reliable system that can't malfunction like most electronically and other man made things can. =D

However, for a video game, it's hard to do. For Arma, not sure. BIS has said their stars are literally as perfect as the real thing, and in a night picture like the one we have, it's quite literally the only option. BIS was smart about it, and took the screen at the darkest of dark nights.

---------- Post added at 20:15 ---------- Previous post was at 20:14 ----------

Reflection on the water can be the Moon. It's a known bug.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/718668830100295825/7DEA1CE56139B20F696E5A6B73E93E58F79AA2B8/

Btw i think you underestimate BI's skill. You don't remember what was before arma 3 announcement?

You wouldn't happen to know where the moon is at the time of that reflection... would you?

It's not nuts, it's actually the most logical way of finding out where you are. Imagine you got kidnapped, and they covered your eyes. You then get let go somewhere, some fr away place, it's night time, and since your in wilderness, there's no light pollution. You can now see all the stars super clear, but nothing else. You have no idea what part of the world your in. You can essentially use the constellation as a guide. It's actually basic knowledge, in fact, that's how us humans traveled before compasses and all that stuff came into existence. The stars were Human's original guide, still are to many. So nuts? Not so much. It's just going back to the most reliable system that can't malfunction like most electronically and other man made things can. =D
There's a reason that some of the first DayZ mod (Arma 2: OA) guides specified direction-finding via the simulated stars in lieu of a Compass or Map. ;)
There where already so much asian themed hints in the dev-branch-update thread it's obvious that it's going to be in the asian region. They also looked at amphibious vehicle problems... after the problem existing since alpha, all of a sudden they decide to go and fix it partially.

I would be reeeeally surprised (and sad) if it's not something pacific/asian themed

Other than the brief Gorgon "driving underwater" bug I can't recall issues with the other wheeled amphibs, and it's not like Bohemia has a recent history of caring about "out of scope" mod content that doesn't have in-game analogs (i.e. Bohemia didn't do any tracked amphibs for A3).

Other than the brief Gorgon "driving underwater" bug I can't recall issues with the other wheeled amphibs, and it's not like Bohemia has a recent history of caring about "out of scope" mod content that doesn't have in-game analogs (i.e. Bohemia didn't do any tracked amphibs for A3).

There's your key... they dont care for out of scope content. Amphibious vehicle action wasn't really a scope of A3 in altis/stratis. In Asia Terrain it would be. Ergo, more playing around with this type of asset, ergo more priority on making sure it workse properly. They didnt do tracked vehicle amphibs (sadly), because none of the already available tracked veh's are supposed to swim. Since they didnt do something about this, it means we very likely won't be seeing tracked amphib assetts in the addon either (unless it comes later down the line in dev branch).

The problem had to do with speeds driving in water, reverse beeing always faster and so on.

i'm really excited to see arma 3's great updated lighting shine on the new terrain. i kinda felt like Altis and Stratis didn't bring out the best in it. boring/dull colour palette overall. hence me enjoying the Chernarus ports with properly tweaked lighting way more even with their lower quality assets.

my only wish is that the new terrain has a lot of green in it. i'm all about the richness of the colours presented when you clinch your eyes. and so far what arma 3 had to offer was a lot of the same sand brown.

i'm also excited to get a bunch of new high quality assets. can't wait to see all the terrain makers mix them with existing ones and putting them into new contexts.

this will be great i think. hype train! chooo choooooo!!

After reading thread and some valid points my vote will go for the French Polynesia,even if there is some smilarity in those pictures of some chinese islands few posts up.

Now lets not forget BI work policy(as far as i know) there is small island and than BIG one, but idk would they give us similar maps,speaking of forests and similar areas like Altis or Stratis,i would like to go for the desert type of map here. And i can not wait till damn countdown end,lets crack this

And me to here would love to se sort of snow map,with proper snow cammo and gear it would be perfect thing fighting on ice and freaking snow storms where you can not see shit,but ofc just my wild imagination

Here's my wild guess - could be Tenerife island:

Long time ArmA players know this island better as 'Kolgujev' first introduced in OFP: Cold War Crisis. The better technology now would allow for a much more life-like re-creation of this island. It doesn't have too much vegetation on it hence should not be too demanding on the hardware but still pleasant to look at and play around on. There are some snowy parts too (volcano top), beaches, towns and woods. It wouldn't be too different to Altis but still different enough to have a 'newish' kind of vibe to it. It's roughly 2034 square kilometers in total size, which would make it around 7 times bigger than Altis, but scaled down to ArmA 3 needs it could be roughly three times the size of Altis, clocking in at 1017 km2. The name of island would be a bit altered to fit 'Armaverse' and not piss-off any natives. ;)

Here's my wild guess - could be Tenerife island

As you commented yourself Tenerife was already used as base for the Kolgujev island in OFP. And BI already specified that they wouldn't repeat any former setting. Besides the Canary Islands have a really close look to the Mediterranean style depicted in Altis.

On the other hand I hardly doubt that the tinerfeños would care about their island being reproduced in-game. In Lemnos it was different due to the military tension between Greece and Turkey.

Also have in mind that for the latest islands / maps ( Altis, Stratis, Chernarus, Takistan ) BI didn't do any radical resize. So its even more unlikely. And most of the towns would be impossible to reproduce either, there's almost a million people living there vs 30,000 of Lemnos.

Madeira or the Azores would fit more the bill both in size and population, tho I see way more probable an island in the Pacific or South / East Asia.

Edited by MistyRonin

As you commented yourself Tenerife was already used as base for the Kolgujev island in OFP. And BI already specified that they wouldn't repeat any former setting. Besides the Canary Islands have a really close look to the Mediterranean style depicted in Altis.

True, but those words may not be 'set in stone', if you understand what I mean. :)

I just linked some 'things' in mind what would be a good kind of terrain for A3 while still comming of as newish. Of course that does not mean it will be it. Simply speculation, like most everyone in this thread is doing so right now. :p

Now wtf does that mean??

Not much, as it is the steam arma api number. if its a hint then it would be a bit to easy right?

i'm really excited to see arma 3's great updated lighting shine on the new terrain. i kinda felt like Altis and Stratis didn't bring out the best in it. boring/dull colour palette overall.

I feel that Altis and Straits always looks best at dawn or dusk. Running through a lush ditch/moat or forrest in the early or late hours always feels like the best graphical esthetic to me.

really excited to see this new map!!! Lots of vegetation would be great :)