Sign in to follow this  
manzarek

The new remoteExec command

Quote Originally Posted by KadinX View Post

I have tried a few things but so far, thankfully, the mission crashes on the description.ext level.

It's happens since OFP. It would be nice to say goodbye to that bug, wouldn't be? Can't you just put the whole parsing into try...catch block?

Danczer, I did say "thankfully". I am not adept enough in Arma coding, so I am happy when I get a quick "this does not work" answer. :)

More nice changes stated in today Dev Branch update in regards to remoteExec along with usage examples in Description.ext wiki.

"state=" has been replaced with "mode=" in description.ext.

Yet, I am still unable to see remoteExec functioning :(

ribi,

[ _newPlayer, "Acts_CrouchingIdleRifle01" ] remoteExec [ "switchMove",0 ];

the above does NOT work

however the one below does work

[[ _newPlayer, "Acts_CrouchingIdleRifle01" ],"switchMove",true,true ] call Bis_fnc_MP;

In my mission description.ext the following has been entered

No crashes or errors in rpt either way

No crashes and no errors in rpt

class CfgRemoteExec

{

class Server

{

mode = 2; // 0-turned off, 1-turned on and taking function whitelist into account, 2-turned on ignoring function whitelist (default)

class functions

{

};

class commands

{

};

};

class Client

{

mode = 2; // 0-turned off, 1-turned on and taking function whitelist into account, 2-turned on ignoring function whitelist (default)

class functions

{

};

class commands

{

};

};

};

Edited by KadinX

What exectly does not work for you, please?
fn = {z = 0;}; remoteExec ["fn"]; hint str z; //undefined z

this ^^^^

hehe, when you have brains you ask less...I am talking about me. Thanks Killzone_Kid...again!!

KNOWN ISSUES

remoteExec / remoteExecCall have been disabled unintentionally on Dev-Branch since Friday

Mystery revealed...

Indeed, but still a mystery as of when it should be back up...I just checked.

Confirming, remoteExec is back online and working :)

this ^^^^

RemoteExec executes the script in scheduled environment (it spawns the script) and hence "hint str z" might be executed sooner than remoteExec itself.

However, I assume your question actually targeted remoteExecCall (which executes the script by calling it) with your question.

The main reason is that, even tough it calls the script, there are currently other elements involved delaying its real execution. So while it's true it executes the scripted function/command by calling it, it is not a replacement for calling the command/function directly at the moment (it is not called right away). This should not pose a problem as BIS_fnc_MP behaves in the same way in this regard.

If you don't like this behavior, you're more than welcome to share your thoughts and opinions on a forum thread dedicated specifically to remote execution.

RemoteExec executes the script in scheduled environment (it spawns the script) and hence "hint str z" might be executed sooner than remoteExec itself.

However, I assume your question actually targeted remoteExecCall (which executes the script by calling it) with your question.

The main reason is that, even tough it calls the script, there are currently other elements involved delaying its real execution. So while it's true it executes the scripted function/command by calling it, it is not a replacement for calling the command/function directly at the moment (it is not called right away). This should not pose a problem as BIS_fnc_MP behaves in the same way in this regard.

If you don't like this behavior, you're more than welcome to share your thoughts and opinions on a forum thread dedicated specifically to remote execution.

Yeah, sorry, I was meant to write execCall. However even with exec and scheduled delay, the second, third... 25th execution should have had z defined, which was not the case anyway. Now that commands are enabled I guess it should work.

I made a post in that thread about running a callback when the remoteExec/Call is finished. Take a look at that. I think callbacks are the way to go for something like what he's referring to.