diesel5187

[MELB] Mission Enhanced Little Bird

Can you add the possibillity to change weapons during missions?

I'm not part of the MELB team, but it is planned. From the main post:

Planned:

-Service Menu (Custom weapon load-outs, switch from attack to transport and vice versa, additional fuel tanks)

• Like 5

hey all,

Great mod. I love the tiny bird.  I just got a few newbie questions regarding how to lock on to target using laser and fire hellfire missile in a single player mission where i am the both the pilot and gunner (if possible).  no body wants to fly me around :(

here is what i tried.

got on the heli as a gunner.

pressed the 'g' key to flip open the flat screen panel (monitor)

right click to enter optics mode (full screen).  Is there a way to do this without going full screen and seeing things on the flat screen panel (monitor).  because in full screen i can no longer fly the heli.

was able to swtich between dtv/flir/nv by pressing the 'N' key

i think i was able to lase the targets by 'F' key until laser was selected and then clicking the left mouse button.

I take it next i should be able to swtiching to hellfires and again clicking the left mouse button, correct?  once fired, should not have to keep the laser cursor on the target right?

I have ACE3 installed.  it has the Ctrl-L for switching to Laser/NV and 'tab' key to lase targets, but that didn't work for me.  is it supposed to be that way?

also as a gunner when i take control of the heli i can no longer move the optics camera around with the mouse any more.

Ideally i would like to get in as a gunner.  take controls.  turn on (flip open) the flat panel.  swtich to FLIR without going fullscreen screen.  use the mouse to independantly move the optics camera.  lase target. swtich to hellfire and fire away.  is it possible?

Thanks

Just wanted to add:

I had PIP disabled in the video config hence the reason for the flat panel monitor not being active.  once PIP enabled i was able to see things in the flat panel without having to right click and go into full screen.  However i would still like to be able to:

As a gunner:

fly helicoptor (doable by taking control)

switch between DTV, FLIR, NV without having to right click (be in the fullscreen mode).

zoom in and out in flat panel optics without have to right click (be in the fullscreen mode)

move the optics camera around while taking control of the helicopter.  I am able to take control of the camera when not taking control of the helicopter

All help will be appreciated.  Great mod!

Thanks

I've been flying with these birds since the initial release and I have to say that they are pure gold! I have a question, will the MELBs ever be integrated into an other mod like say CUP or RHS or will they stay separate as their own mod? I'm only asking since these birds make every other LB pretty much obsolete. Thanks again for your brilliant mod. Can't wait to see what's coming next

• Like 3

Hey guys, 

if i may i would like to make a request to further enhance this mod by making it playable as single player without the need of a bot pilot.  Here is what i suggest for the player to be able to play as a gunner while taking control of the heli:
1.  Allow mouse to more the camera around on the monitor (fold-able flatpanel) without right clicking and going into full screen.  This is currently possible if i play as a gunner and don't take control of the heli.

2.  Allow means to switch between DTV/FLIR/NV modes without having to right click and go into full screen.

3.  Allow ability to zoom in/out on monitor without having to right click and go into full screen

Thanks in advance for a great mod and help.

Thanks

All of the suggestions you made are limited by the engine.  You'll notice the same issues the MELB has are present in any helo with a FLIR camera.

• Like 1

All of the suggestions you made are limited by the engine.  You'll notice the same issues the MELB has are present in any helo with a FLIR camera.

As shomu1 said alot of these things we cannot do without insane scripting and cba requirements ect at this time for example switching NV/DTV ect is N be default this is also same for NV goggles on unit without adding more HORRIBLE add actions for custom keybinds. isnt something  we could do as we have said in the past the more complex aircraft with lock-on ordinance  will require a dual seat arrangement we cannot get around thing  and dont see us Altering our workflow to Work on this.

you dont see AH-64 Apache in real life with just gunner flying around into combat now do you  :rolleyes:.

• Like 3

Thanks Jones and Shomu1.  I appreciate the feed back as i understand more now about the engine limitation.  Also i agree in real life there is a valid reason for having a gunner and pilot with separate roles.  

It's just that i was itching for these features because other/previous helo sims allowed a single player to perform both (pilot/gunner) actions to their fullest.  This makes me rely on multi-player.  I have played multiplayer but i don't know enough people/teams to take full advantage of it.  I am a good pilot (in game) :) .  So if you guys know of any mulitplayer team wanting a good pilot on their team, then I am available.

Also do you guys think is it worth asking the Bohiamia to add these features to the game.  It will be lots of fun to have for single players.

@gamerman972

Here you go. Tons of Units needing a proficient pilot

BIS Arma Units

BIS Forum Squad Section

IMHO, only thing BIS should implement is propper switching between Pilot and CoPilot. So when the CoPilot is on the stick, he can use the Guns/Rockets and the Pilot can have the FLIR Pod. Probably never going to happen, but we can dream.

Only fly this beauties and I loving flying it. Only thing I don't like is the hellfire variant, since the use of the laser designator in Arma3/ACE3 is not yet at the same stage as it was in A2/ACE2. (Tracking laser without locking on, Laser Codes etc).

Thanks a lot.

If you ever publish a donation link, I will throw in some :) Spent to many hours in those birds :)

• Like 2

Yeah, MELB is addicting! 

I have a small request. Comming from DCS, I really appreciated a small feature helicopters had- they display a controller position (cyclic, collective, anti torque and throttle). It would be usefull when swithing controllers mid air- the pilot who is about to get controls would be able to match his input with current pilot's controllers position. The transition would go much more smooth (there is a small bug in Arma temporary increasing collective when unlocking/ locking controllers, so that'd still be an issue). The other thing is- it makes it easier to put cyclic on neutral, and for those who trim helicopters- they could trim it while on the ground. Here is what I mean (red box on top left).

attachment.php?attachmentid=123337&d=144

• Like 2

I love this lovely little bird. This is a gem when getting home from work and I just feels like spinning around.

Imagine if these guys would open source the 3D models and someone could to put the same kind of love into a DCS/P3D version of this! Goodbye social life.

PS.

Any update on when/if there will be another patch? That "exploding rubber" issue I reported just killed another bunch of Special Forces. :)

@gamerman972

BIS Arma Units

BIS Forum Squad Section

IMHO, only thing BIS should implement is propper switching between Pilot and CoPilot. So when the CoPilot is on the stick, he can use the Guns/Rockets and the Pilot can have the FLIR Pod. Probably never going to happen, but we can dream.

Only fly this beauties and I loving flying it. Only thing I don't like is the hellfire variant, since the use of the laser designator in Arma3/ACE3 is not yet at the same stage as it was in A2/ACE2. (Tracking laser without locking on, Laser Codes etc).

Thanks a lot.

If you ever publish a donation link, I will throw in some :) Spent to many hours in those birds :)

This feature would in fact be awesome, but i'm pretty sure it would only apply to the MELB, as you said, one can dream.

Yeah, MELB is addicting! 

I have a small request. Comming from DCS, I really appreciated a small feature helicopters had- they display a controller position (cyclic, collective, anti torque and throttle). It would be usefull when swithing controllers mid air- the pilot who is about to get controls would be able to match his input with current pilot's controllers position. The transition would go much more smooth (there is a small bug in Arma temporary increasing collective when unlocking/ locking controllers, so that'd still be an issue). The other thing is- it makes it easier to put cyclic on neutral, and for those who trim helicopters- they could trim it while on the ground. Here is what I mean (red box on top left).

attachment.php?attachmentid=123337&d=144

This is more of a feature BI could put into the game, there are a lot of people who really enjoy the AFM and want to see more done with it, this feature could very well get more community members to support it.

I love this lovely little bird. This is a gem when getting home from work and I just feels like spinning around.

Imagine if these guys would open source the 3D models and someone could to put the same kind of love into a DCS/P3D version of this! Goodbye social life.

PS.

Any update on when/if there will be another patch? That "exploding rubber" issue I reported just killed another bunch of Special Forces. :)

This would be awesome! We have thought about it, but there would be a lot more work to do to make this work in DCS. Maybe in the future, time will tell.

I've been flying with these birds since the initial release and I have to say that they are pure gold! I have a question, will the MELBs ever be integrated into an other mod like say CUP or RHS or will they stay separate as their own mod? I'm only asking since these birds make every other LB pretty much obsolete. Thanks again for your brilliant mod. Can't wait to see what's coming next

We've talked about it but we haven't come to a conclusion just yet, probably when the bird is 100% done we might integrate with other mods.

-----------------------------------------------

sykoCrazy, Jones, and I are every glad to hear of all the positive feedback and ideas different community members have for our little project. I'm currently working on the AI so they are more proactive in attacking but even with the vanilla aircraft, they are not very good. Many times you have to tell them to attack multiple times before they actually engage. I'm attempting to bring a level of lethality that stays in line with what you can read in some of the 160th books, these guys are no slouches, and if the AI are flying it, they shouldn't be either. I'll keep tweaking and hopefully have some good news for those that have been requesting this feature.

• Like 1

@diesel5187

It's great to hear you are improving this mod even further!

One more minor feedback would be the artificial horizon display- it has very small contrast in NV, other gauges are very clear and visible on and off NV. I don't know if the fix would make it less visible in normal light conditions, but if that'd be the case, then maybe alternative lighting mode for low light use selectable via menu could be the way to go?

Thanks once again guys, you make Arma fun!!!!
  • Like 1

@gamerman972

BIS Arma Units

BIS Forum Squad Section

Thanks a lot.

I totally agree!

These little birds are amazing and i would strongly suggest using shuko's fast rope script for these as it is an amazing cinematic fast roping out the side of these since they already have the anchors on them.

These littlebirds are stunning to look at and handle incredibly well and sound awesome.

link below.

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/187445-shk-fastrope/#entry2968035

Thanks again.

ACE is about to release fastrope system, so I'd integrate that instead.

They are?  This is exciting news, ACE adding fastroping has been on the cards for an age, if true it's good to see this one come to life.

Currently in the last phase of merging with 3.5.0 according to this overview: Link Twitterlink (Warning, sarcasm on the twitter title... ;-))

Sadly Laser Overhaul is pushed to 3.6.0 and the ACE Functions are reverted to Vanilla: Link

Small on topic question: Will we ever be able to carry two pax with the AH-6 (for emergencies ;-)) or will we be limited to the left side only?

When we talk about the left side... I assume the decision is now fix that the Pilot will always be sitting on the left? Just curious  ;)

• Like 2

If you need information on how to make the MELBs compatible with ACE3's fastroping, there will be documentation available in the ace3mod.com wiki right after release of 3.5.0. If you don't want to wait you can already view it here.

• Like 2

If anybody would like some temporary xyz co-ordinates for the rope configuration, I messed around with it yesterday. It's quick and rough, but I didn't encounter any issues with it.

ace_fastroping_enabled = 1;
ace_fastroping_ropeOrigins[] = {{-1.17, 0.8, -0.09}, {1.17, 0.8, -0.09}};
  • Like 6

If anybody would like some temporary xyz co-ordinates for the rope configuration, I messed around with it yesterday. It's quick and rough, but I didn't encounter any issues with it.

ace_fastroping_enabled = 1;
ace_fastroping_ropeOrigins[] = {{-1.17, 0.8, -0.09}, {1.17, 0.8, -0.09}};

Not being a code genius like some people on here.  Where would I put this to get the MELB to work? 

• Like 2

Not being a code genius like some people on here.  Where would I put this to get the MELB to work? 

You'd have to add it to the config AFAIK

you'll just have to wait until the devs are back if you don't know how to do it yourself..

• Like 3

edit: cancelled, dont wanna make troubles