diesel5187

[MELB] Mission Enhanced Little Bird

Yes, but the issue isn't whether or not a Little Bird can be shot down by small arms fire, it's how unrealistically accurate the AI are with hitting moving targets. If real life enemies were as accurate as the AI, there wouldn't be a single Little Bird pilot alive today, because they wouldn't survive more than a few flights before being one shot sniped out . 

We use a combination of ACE and ASR AI in my unit, and this is never an issue for me unless I'm hovering or just flying slowly. I recommend trying it.

These birds are hands down the best representation of Littlebirds in Arma 3 so far. We've been using them for a couple of months and just loving their flight behaviour and armaments.

Our community has a feature request though:

In several ShackTac videos we've seen they have edited the mod to reintroduce the A3 crossairs for the vehicle itself. Are there plans for an optional .pbo file to introduce a similar feature for those who would like to use it? The marker dot on the wind shield looks great, but especially with TrackIR I've noticed many moments where I had to reset the "center" of the track IR a lot, because I've shifted ever so slightly during game play but now am very much off-target. The 3D crossairs of Bohemia do communicate with TrackIR quite well and cause this issue a lot less often as they are not tied to the helo model themselves.

Thanks for all the hard work, definitely looking forward to the next update!  :)

I have another request, this time regarding AFM- Even with collective fully down there is too much lift generated with main rotor when pitching up. It makes impossible for rapid speed reduction/ alt descent. I think default AFM's behaviour for MH-9 could be used as good example of how that parameter is nicely balanced. Thanks!

Could't tell much more then others, but this is what we need a long time. Even if it's still somthing to finish in MELB mod  there's basic important mod in 7WEDS and we could't imagine flying something diffriend than this during spec ops mission.

Can't wait for future update with hellfire version.

I also never have problems with getting whacked by the AI when scouting. AAA sure, but you can dumb them down to make them more like you would come across. 

On the rapid deceleration - if you are blasting along at 230kmh and then try to bottom the collective and yank the cyclic back into your lap then yeah, it'll climb every time. Real helicopters are that way too. Big helicopters decel faser than little ones because of the huge rotor disc creating drag along with gravity on a heavier object, unbeliveable given the momentum but true......unless you fly at a reasonable speed. I have no problems getting this thing stopped with some prep flying, and from 130mkh I can do just what you are asking the heli to do. Dyslexi, who was referenced earlier in the thread, has a vid up about what he calls "manageable speed", and applying it has also helped me become a better helicopter pilot overall. 

On the rapid deceleration - if you are blasting along at 230kmh and then try to bottom the collective and yank the cyclic back into your lap then yeah, it'll climb every time. Real helicopters are that way too. Big helicopters decel faser than little ones because of the huge rotor disc creating drag along with gravity on a heavier object, unbeliveable given the momentum but true......unless you fly at a reasonable speed. I have no problems getting this thing stopped with some prep flying, and from 130mkh I can do just what you are asking the heli to do. Dyslexi, who was referenced earlier in the thread, has a vid up about what he calls "manageable speed", and applying it has also helped me become a better helicopter pilot overall. 

I know how helicopter physcis work in RL, but I was trying to explain that it is exaggerated right now.

I agree. The "managable speed" should be a tiny bit higher. Currently flying the MELB only in AFM and I really like it.

One thing I did with  a custom RotorLib file, I added a lot of contact points to the bottom of the skids (and made them a tiny bit wider). Basicly to give the skids a chance to recognice any uneven ground and so trying to minimize the explosions when landing on buildings. Nice bonus effect: the skids are a lot more durrable.

I'm sorry if this has been covered, if it was I missed it, but what  do I put in the initialization field to get units to sit on the different benches on the MH-6?     

Any news on the next update?

We are using the internal build, not much is new, just a few refinements, it's not much of that is left, the problem is that both our lives are extremely busy atm. We know how it feels to be on the other side waiting for a mod to get released, trust me when I tell you, we'll do it as quickly as we can. The next version should be fairly polished with the exception of the AFM, the variables are complicated to say the least and I don't see a way to recreate how a helicopter flies in real life in the Arma 3 engine. We will continue work on the AFM regardless to deliver the most accurate experience we can.

• Like 4

We are using the internal build, not much is new, just a few refinements, it's not much of that is left, the problem is that both our lives are extremely busy atm. We know how it feels to be on the other side waiting for a mod to get released, trust me when I tell you, we'll do it as quickly as we can. The next version should be fairly polished with the exception of the AFM, the variables are complicated to say the least and I don't see a way to recreate how a helicopter flies in real life in the Arma 3 engine. We will continue work on the AFM regardless to deliver the most accurate experience we can.

Thanks for the update diesel, just to clarify, I wasn't asking for a release date just any news on what might be included in the next update...

Keep up the good work and loving your work :)

Thanks for the update diesel, just to clarify, I wasn't asking for a release date just any news on what might be included in the next update...

Keep up the good work and loving your work  :)

Same above. Don't worry about AFM. This is what we have now its enought to use MELB operational during wait for final version of AFM. Only thing what we really can't wait is hellfire ver. Thank You for this mod and keep up good work. Good luck :)

Same above. Don't worry about AFM. This is what we have now its enought to use MELB operational during wait for final version of AFM. Only thing what we really can't wait is hellfire ver. Thank You for this mod and keep up good work. Good luck :)

Speaking of the Hellfire, it is the first time ever I rather shoot that fly, it's a lot of fun.

When you have ZSU-23Shilka in the area better fun from shooting it's direct hit   ;)  .

Nice Mod! I've run into an issue though. I've created a mission on Utes using the MELB along with the ALiVE mod and ACE 3.  I've placed several little birds on the deck of the Khe Sanh, some empty, some spawned by ALiVE as Transports and CAS. When I join the mission, the birds I placed as empty always start out with their engines running. I've tried to resolve the problem by putting      this engineOn false;      into the units init box but it didn't help. Anyone have any idea how I might resolve this?

Hi ColonelHartigan, thanks for the reply.

They were set to "In Formation" but even after setting them to "None" the issue still persists.

I've been tinkering with it and still haven't resolved it but I think it might have more to do with the Arma 3 vehicle respawn module rather than the mod itself.

AFAIK Air vehicles which are placed above Sealevel will spawn automaticly with EnigneOn. You could try to remove all fuel and just fill it up on entry...?

Looking forward to the hellfires... :)

• Like 1

Hi Swissmag

I tried this, but with each respawn it needs to be repeated to I'm going to have to write a script for it. I tried to put the engineOn false into the init of the respawn module but that didn't seem to do it. I was trying to avoid  script but it's looking like your suggestion will be the most reliable solution.

wallyschmo, are you using the 3DEN editor?
the 3D editor has an issue with helos/jets spawning in >0 altitude.

on the stable branch, placing MELB on the Atlas LHD, Nimitz and the little helipads with wheels works fine when just setting the height in the bottom left of the unit info in the editor (near the compass).

Are there any plans to bring this to the steam workshop? Trying to convince my community to use this mod, but they are deliberately not choosing any mods that aren't on the workshop ready for the launcher and server integration........

Before
okRNnY6.jpg

After
HK3bzD3.jpg

I'll be working hard this week on my side of things, that is all.

• Like 3

Are there any plans to bring this to the steam workshop? Trying to convince my community to use this mod, but they are deliberately not choosing any mods that aren't on the workshop ready for the launcher and server integration........

Yeah, too easy! Expect it on the next release.

Huge Improvement!

Oh yeah! And that's all sykoCrazy, he definitely does some amazing graphics work.