diesel5187

[MELB] Mission Enhanced Little Bird

Excellent work on these helis.  Are there any plans to have a variant armed with the M230 30mm chain gun?

That's the only version I have not seen optioned yet.

Does AI fly this and fire on enemy AI?  I have yet to see my Little bird fire on enemy AI??

Excellent work on these helis.  Are there any plans to have a variant armed with the M230 30mm chain gun?

That's the only version I have not seen optioned yet.

I may be wrong about this but I don't think you could put an M230 on the aircraft with a meaningful load due to weight and recoil. I do not recall seeing a SOAR MELB with this set up. They usually will try things that are feasible. Then again, this is ARMA.

I may be wrong about this but I don't think you could put an M230 on the aircraft with a meaningful load due to weight and recoil.

I don't know if their sources are real but on wikipedia it says that the ULB/MB can carry 1 M230 chaingun.

"Hey Bob, I've been tasked to take out 1 T-72, 4 trucks and two sqads of infantry. Can you sort out the chopper?"

"Sure thing fam"

That said, a light attack chopper with such a flexible loadout would be the coolest thing ever. I can't wait for Hellfires and DAGRs.

From what I have seen in the very early test phases of v0.00003. The hellfires use the vanilla lock-on system. This means that they can aquire armored targets, or laser designator signals. In testing they have been effective out to 4km, but thats based on end-user performance. As well as the testing being conducted on a LAN server with no one else on it beside myself. Actual results may vary.

Having flown the Franz/NodUnit AH-64D and now Sykocrazy/Diesel's AH-6-L/M/H* I can say that the vanilla system is best for engaging threats.

While radar lockon seems like a great idea, when your destroying 16 tanks at a time from 10Km away due to having lockon with radar (you can do that in the AH-64 btw) it kinda kills the gameplay. Meanwhile the Vanilla system for lockons makes sense, its dependant on your own computers render distance and wheither or not you can lock up a laser target. 

Its not exactly a bad thing, but its a realism/gameplay tradeoff that needs to be made in order to play within the Real Virtuality 4 game engine.

I think in this regard Sykes and Diesel made the right decision, as custom building a radar/laser locking system would not only unnecessarily delay v0.00003, but would also exclude the MELB from using any upgrades to targeting that the ACE team might dream up.

I'm a totally late with my response, but since the AH-6 isn't carrying any radar like the Longbow, then realistically the only guidance system available should be laser guidance. Realism aside, I personally think that laser guidance is more fun either way as it gives the gunner something to do. Also, AFAIK the AI can handle that type of guidance.

• Like 1

Hellfires and DAGRs will be laser guided and only accessible by the copilot station as in real life. More updates soon.

• Like 5

This mod looks really promising, I love the litle bird!

One request I'd like to make: What bothers me in arma is the AI often snipe the player out of the helicopter with their small arms.

Would it be possible to add a littlebird variant with bullet proof window glass? That'd be awesome!

Sorry for saying that, but a LB with bullet proofe glass is sort of senseless. And when AI is shooting you with small arms you're doing something wrong :D
This type of glass is so heavy that you would have to save the weight on the weapon systems, and that's something you don't want.

This mod looks really promising, I love the litle bird!

One request I'd like to make: What bothers me in arma is the AI often snipe the player out of the helicopter with their small arms.

Would it be possible to add a littlebird variant with bullet proof window glass? That'd be awesome!

Sorry for saying that, but a LB with bullet proofe glass is sort of senseless. And when AI is shooting you with small arms you're doing something wrong :D

This type of glass is so heavy that you would have to save the weight on the weapon systems, and that's something you don't want.

What he said.

We have "reinforced" the glass on the cockpit because the AI is way too precise when they shoot(this is on the current release), but we also need to keep the balance of the game. Best tip, get better AI? Lower their accuracy, I know it can be done, there are some AI mods out there.

Thanks to the community for all the attention.

• Like 3

What he said.

We have "reinforced" the glass on the cockpit because the AI is way too precise when they shoot(this is on the current release), but we also need to keep the balance of the game. Best tip, get better AI? Lower their accuracy, I know it can be done, there are some AI mods out there.

I know, BI needs to do something about that. You can count on one hand the number of times I've been shot down in the Hummingbird due to damage to the helicopter, while I've been one shot sniped out literally over a hundred times . So I can really appreciate the reinforced glass in the MELB.

Hello! Let me start with saying, that I LOVE Your work. Great addon, my favourite at the moment! I have a question regarding a Flight Model. Does it use Rotorlib at the moment (I don't think it does after my testing), and if it doesn't will it be added in the future? Thanks!

Hello! Let me start with saying, that I LOVE Your work. Great addon, my favourite at the moment! I have a question regarding a Flight Model. Does it use Rotorlib at the moment (I don't think it does after my testing), and if it doesn't will it be added in the future? Thanks!

Yes it has AFM/RotorLib support, from the information I gathered from this topic they are using vanilla RotorLib configuration with changed main and tail rotor values. I played around with it and it works very similar to the vanilla little bird (I managed to loose the main rotor with some weird maneuver I did, for science of course).

Yes it has AFM/RotorLib support, from the information I gathered from this topic they are using vanilla RotorLib configuration with changed main and tail rotor values. I played around with it and it works very similar to the vanilla little bird (I managed to loose the main rotor with some weird maneuver I did, for science of course).

Thank You! I'm going to do more flying with it from now on!

One thing not included in the 506th MELB request video is that the FLIR camera also has a locking function. My zoom in buttons are the NUMPAD + & - symbol keys, and when I fisrt hit + the camera zooms pretty close to where the crosshairs are. Very useful considering how twitchy a little bird can be in Arma. I absolutely LOVE this heli, and our squad, the Virtual USASOC has been using the bejesus out of this thing!! 

Keep up the great work!!!

Long Live MELB!

~S

OK, next question- is there any way to monitor Rotor RPM with this bird? I can see a set of small digital displays on the bottom, but they seem to remain static. Thanks!

What he said.

Thanks to the community for all the attention.

Hey, I've tried out the mod and the MELB doesn't have reinforced glass at the moment :(

Hope it will be added in a future patch. Thanks!

reinforced =/= reinforced... It might be able to resist a 5.56mm but not a 12.7mm
also the angle is playing a role i guess

and there is no sense in reinforced glass whilst hoovering 10m above two squads of enemy AR gunners. just saying ;)

i still think reinforced glass is not necessary when operating the vehicle as it is supposed to. take Dslyecxi as an example....

I agree with the no reinforced glass side of the house. Little Birds aren't tough, nor were they ever designed to be survivable to even small arms fire. Tons of them were shot down doing scout duty in Vietnam, and the magic of their construction is reflected on every time one of them crashes....they are pretty survivable provided it doesn't go in like a lawn dart. That said, AK rounds will take a ship out of the sky with one lucky shot to a fuel or oil line, or pilot. Leave it like it is, how it should be. I love my nimble little egg, and using cover and not exposing myself to threats keeps me safe all day every day!

~S

I agree with the no reinforced glass side of the house. Little Birds aren't tough, nor were they ever designed to be survivable to even small arms fire. Tons of them were shot down doing scout duty in Vietnam, and the magic of their construction is reflected on every time one of them crashes....they are pretty survivable provided it doesn't go in like a lawn dart. That said, AK rounds will take a ship out of the sky with one lucky shot to a fuel or oil line, or pilot. Leave it like it is, how it should be. I love my nimble little egg, and using cover and not exposing myself to threats keeps me safe all day every day!

~S

Yes, but the issue isn't whether or not a Little Bird can be shot down by small arms fire, it's how unrealistically accurate the AI are with hitting moving targets. If real life enemies were as accurate as the AI, there wouldn't be a single Little Bird pilot alive today, because they wouldn't survive more than a few flights before being one shot sniped out . 

• Like 1