diesel5187

[MELB] Mission Enhanced Little Bird

Just want to add my praise for the artistry and flight modeling you have given us. Well Done!

Having spent some time around "killer egg"operators I would provide you some things that I picked up from working with them. First they do almost all of their work up close and personnel (well under 500 meters). They do a lot of their work at night and I believe they have a laser pointer on the aircraft to get the firepower in the right area. 

Has this had any more consideration put into it? Both the DAP and the AH-6 use laser sighting for night operations so that they can get rounds on target every time. I'm unsure of the laser model that would currently be implemented, but here's the old AIM-1 that was used on basically every gunship in service after the 160th proved its worth.

aim-1-6.jpg

• Like 1

Has this had any more consideration put into it? Both the DAP and the AH-6 use laser sighting for night operations so that they can get rounds on target every time. I'm unsure of the laser model that would currently be implemented, but here's the old AIM-1 that was used on basically every gunship in service after the 160th proved its worth.

aim-1-6.jpg

Yea I'd +1 (Providing it is possible) 

Would make aiming a lot easier at night. Using TrackIR with that dot on the cockpit glass is a nightmare sometimes haha

Yea I'd +1 (Providing it is possible) 

Would make aiming a lot easier at night. Using TrackIR with that dot on the cockpit glass is a nightmare sometimes haha

Keep that TrackIR pause key handy. I line up then turn off TrackIR to take the shot.

I never have a problem with it, I just roll in and reset my head center. Seems to help. 

I shoot my way onto target with guns. The grease mark doesn't work very well with X and Y displacement for head tracking. Having to toggle or recenter head position works but isn't great.

Again, I feel there should be options to scale this to taste.

I just reported a small bug about the flares. I have to say that this is the best Little Bird mod/addon ever! Very well made! Also apart from the Little Bird can we expect some pilot uniforms and vests like this one: http://www.blackfive.net/photos/uncategorized/2007/10/12/61391.jpg

I've never heard them say anything about making items other than the helicopter itself. I highly doubt it.

If you want some pilots gear like that you can use TRYKs, it provides both.

Of course dude TRYK is the best but i dont want to use WAYYY to many addons so i figured it would be good if they were in the mod. There is no real reason to use an addon/mod just for 1 thing and forget about the rest thats why i dont want to use TRYK with this modpack

Keep that TrackIR pause key handy. I line up then turn off TrackIR to take the shot.

Yea that's what I usually do. 

Did anybody encounter any mod incompatibilities with other mods? My unit changed the modpack (without consulting me...) and now when the MELB is included, the server won't load the mission... Maybe somebody encountered something yet.

Anyway, I rather stop playing on the dedicated server than missing out on the MELB :D.

Looking forward for the Hellfires :) Can't wait.

Did anybody encounter any mod incompatibilities with other mods? My unit changed the modpack (without consulting me...) and now when the MELB is included, the server won't load the mission... Maybe somebody encountered something yet.

Anyway, I rather stop playing on the dedicated server than missing out on the MELB :D.

Looking forward for the Hellfires :) Can't wait.

About those hellfires, they'll be laser guided only right? No silly Tab rubbish?

I agree 100%. However its a game, and some play with complete AI, therefore cannot take the time to perform combat aerial movement and switch to laser targeting, acquire, paint, and fire at the same time

• Like 1

Hi, swissmag, I just tried MELB on our dedicated server with RHS, ACE and a couple of others mods and it works perfectly ;)

Hi, swissmag, I just tried MELB on our dedicated server with RHS, ACE and a couple of others mods and it works perfectly ;)

I do know that it works perfectly with 99% of the mods. Worked flawlessly before... Just curious if anybody catched a specific incompatibility. Just didnt have the time yet to start disabling one after another.

But thanks anyway.

About the Hellfire aiming. I would probably have it the same way vanilla had it done. So its streamlined. An ACE config could handle the propper behavior with this non AI Focused mod. But thats just my opinion :). Curious about how the devs see this point.

Have a good one.

It wouldn't make sense for a non-radar hellfire though.

From what I have seen in the very early test phases of v0.00003. The hellfires use the vanilla lock-on system. This means that they can aquire armored targets, or laser designator signals. In testing they have been effective out to 4km, but thats based on end-user performance. As well as the testing being conducted on a LAN server with no one else on it beside myself. Actual results may vary.

Having flown the Franz/NodUnit AH-64D and now Sykocrazy/Diesel's AH-6-L/M/H* I can say that the vanilla system is best for engaging threats.

While radar lockon seems like a great idea, when your destroying 16 tanks at a time from 10Km away due to having lockon with radar (you can do that in the AH-64 btw) it kinda kills the gameplay. Meanwhile the Vanilla system for lockons makes sense, its dependant on your own computers render distance and wheither or not you can lock up a laser target. 

Its not exactly a bad thing, but its a realism/gameplay tradeoff that needs to be made in order to play within the Real Virtuality 4 game engine.

I think in this regard Sykes and Diesel made the right decision, as custom building a radar/laser locking system would not only unnecessarily delay v0.00003, but would also exclude the MELB from using any upgrades to targeting that the ACE team might dream up.

Hi Folks,

New to Arma - how do you fire the hard mounted machine guns from the pilot position - or - switch to the rocket pods ? The normal weapon trigger that works with vanilla doesn't seem to work...

Beautiful model and a joy to fly - the flight model is much better as it doesn't seem to float like vanilla... Thanks for all the hard work and sharing...

Regards,

Scott

What's the difference between this and the vanilla pawnee in Arma 3?

Hi @flatbear,

While I'm new - I'll take a shot - better model - better flight model - and - unlike the "Pawnee" I  think this one actually exists in real life... Definately worth the download...

Regards,

Scott

Hi Folks,

New to Arma - how do you fire the hard mounted machine guns from the pilot position - or - switch to the rocket pods ? The normal weapon trigger that works with vanilla doesn't seem to work...

Beautiful model and a joy to fly - the flight model is much better as it doesn't seem to float like vanilla... Thanks for all the hard work and sharing...

Regards,

Scott

The vehicle is spawned with the "safety" turned on. press your fire-mode switch key, F by default, to switch to Low Rate of Fire Miniguns, High Rate of Fire Miniguns, and Rocket Salvo.

What's the difference between this and the vanilla pawnee in Arma 3?

The model is custom built, there is a built in thermal/nightvision camera, the flight model is tuned for agility in ArmA 3 by a large collection of veteran pilots, and it has countermeasures.....just to list a few differences.

Your best bet is to download it (its free) and fly one after the other to see the exact differences.

The vehicle is spawned with the "safety" turned on. press your fire-mode switch key, F by default, to switch to Low Rate of Fire Miniguns, High Rate of Fire Miniguns, and Rocket Salvo.

The model is custom built, there is a built in thermal/nightvision camera, the flight model is tuned for agility in ArmA 3 by a large collection of veteran pilots, and it has countermeasures.....just to list a few differences.

Your best bet is to download it (its free) and fly one after the other to see the exact differences.

Thanks! I actually came here because Dyslexi from Shacktac recommmended it in his latest youtube video and I was curious about this different looking little bird