diesel5187

[MELB] Mission Enhanced Little Bird

Love the mod! Can't wait to see more.

I tried it yesterday evening to reinsert dead players on the frontline, low altitude flying and landing between buildings under AK's fire, it was great ! Can't wait for a HMD for armed versions :p

Glad you enjoyed it! Currently we have no plans of adding HMDs though. We've been working on the damage model, weapon firing rates and dispersion to make them a bit more realistic and fun to use :D

btw the GAU-19 is missing his sound - only what i hear is the clicks heh

About the Advanced Flying model - you could use the default A3 AH/MH9 flying models for that and then maybe slightly modify them to the actual AH/MH6s

Thanks for the feedback!

The sound bug only happens if you're using Dev-Branch. BI is changing vehicle weapon sounds so the file that we're using no longer exists. We're working on new sounds for guns as well :D

As for AFM, that sounds like the best way to go about it, for sure.

Hope you can get that working. Any way to stop the flashing of the Collision lights into the cockpit? Is running well btw with 20 person operation.

Those lights will have proper settings on the next update. Although we don't recommend using these in larger scale sessions, i'm glad to see you guys are having fun!

No guarantees, but we are looking into it, more info as it becomes available, great idea!

If you do add FFV for pilots, it would be cool to use a generous arc that allows shooting through the windshield in the event of a dead stick landing with bad dudes coming to get you before you can get out of the pit ;)

If you do add FFV for pilots, it would be cool to use a generous arc that allows shooting through the windshield in the event of a dead stick landing with bad dudes coming to get you before you can get out of the pit ;)

God that would be so awesome.

I downloaded this and i really liked it thank you man! Already using it for my MilSim group

If you can Do that that would be awesome. Not sure if its possible with my previous experience but it's definitely worth a shot. RHS had to do it with their Tanks so mabe it would work.

BIS added the functionality for copilots a while back to the x-H9 family on Dev-Branch but it was removed a few days after the fact. Shooting through the glass is a cool idea! Like Diesel said, we're looking into it :D

Sweet as syko, Deisel. Been haunting the MELB project thread since it first appeared and super psyched watching it's metamorphosis into a mature mod. Rock on!

Shit looks dope. My group has gotten a little over the OP-ness of Apaches and whatnot so we're looking at going Huey only, but this thing looks pretty damn awesome with all the goodies we like to see.

Looking really good. Keep up the work!

Great job man, love all the details like the painted/marker placed cross hair not some magical HUD without a pilot helmet on, looking forward to future updates.

Loving the MH-6M every time I fly it!

One thing I'd like to give my opinion on is that it feels like the collective is a little too... unresponsive? It's weird. It feels like it plummets to the ground if you hold down collective while doing a fast approach to an LZ, but seems to be sudden after a period of -- what feels like -- unresponsiveness. It's tough to get used to. If it's more or less accurate, I'm fine with it and I'll just get used to it! But, for now, the standard flight model feels heavy. It maneuvers good and feels great, but the collective management is weird. Maybe it's just me.

Thanks @Phronk for kind words as for the collective issue i put it up on the Feedback Tracker i will get them To have a look into this tomorow

One thing I'd like to give my opinion on is that it feels like the collective is a little too... unresponsive? It's weird. It feels like it plummets to the ground if you hold down collective while doing a fast approach to an LZ, but seems to be sudden after a period of -- what feels like -- unresponsiveness. It's tough to get used to. If it's more or less accurate, I'm fine with it and I'll just get used to it! But, for now, the standard flight model feels heavy. It maneuvers good and feels great, but the collective management is weird. Maybe it's just me.

I haven't had A2OA installed for some time, but the flight model seems very close if not identical to the vanilla A2 LB. *To the addon authors: Have you guys tweaked the flight characteristics configs to your likings yet? Or is it still to be dialed in?

I've kind of noticed this too. Makes it really hard to judge how much more you need.

I haven't had A2OA installed for some time, but the flight model seems very close if not identical to the vanilla A2 LB. *To the addon authors: Have you guys tweaked the flight characteristics configs to your likings yet? Or is it still to be dialed in?

*Interesting note, it actually is a middle point between the A2 little bird and A3 Pawnee. The Pawnee/hummingbird got up to speed too quickly and keeping those lower speeds to keep proper authoritative control of the aircraft was too difficult, we so far believe it strikes a good balance.

I've kind of noticed this too. Makes it really hard to judge how much more you need.

Thank you for your feedback, we really appreciate it, the following is an explanation on what we are trying to achieve.

We are trying to simulate a "realistic flight model" within Arma's regular flight model or as close as we can get. If we look at Arma's advanced flight model, you have to pull quite a bit of collective before you get to a hover, it takes power, alot of it, to get a (real or arma)helicopter off the ground. As for when you go full down collective, this does reduce lift drastically, we found that Arma's flight models on other helicopter make you "float" too much. This in turn does not let you make more aggressive approaches to landing zones.

With your feedback we have tweaked some values to increase how quickly the collective responds, we can definitely see how keyboard users can be affected by this, how effective the tail rotor is at higher speeds, and how quickly the helicopter can roll. We are currently looking for testers with previous flight experience to help us dial the flight dynamics in. We are aware that everybody does not have a joystick and pedal setup so the regular flight model will be polished with this in mind. The more feedback we get the better.

Edited by Diesel5187

It's cool that you guys accept feedback and sometimes make changes based on it.

As additional information, I usually fly with a Mouse, Keyboard, and Rudder Pedals. I hate using my HOTAS for helicopters. I also use/prefer the standard flight model.

My setup is a wired Xbox 360 controller and standard flight model.

It's not optimal and I'm still learning, but it gets the job done for now.

Speaking of controls to fly helicopters;What about making a version capable to fly NOE Very Low and able to fly in vallys and canyons and has a some sort of Grid Net like the map has and analyze the ground ahead and a auto-pilot that issues a "fly-up order" with a 4-g limit ? If flying up a steep hill it could have a "radar altimeter" script that checks when it`s passed the hill and the distance to ground increses and do a pitch down 10*.

But you will need a working auto pilot to do this! .If done right (and set up for CAS runs in Zeus) it will be able to hide in plain sight and make movie-like evacs. Good luck!

There is a script version working for Hips in A2.

Edit :Please put on it Gun Pods ,like the on A-109 Armscore and EC-135.Thanks

Edited by Teddybear1

First of all, congrats on the release.

The graphics are stunning. The Cockpit instruments are very readable and clear.

Since I hate switching between SFM and AFM (cause of the collective assignments) I did use the A/MH-6M's only in AFM.

While as you guys said "its not functional" it can be a used quite good. Flight model seems a lot easier than the A/MH-9, but thats probably just the values of the inherited class.

Only thing that hinders the use of the AFM is the floating issue. You probably already know, but when the bird is landed and AFM is enabled, the bird will be floating in about 1 m. Probably some missing ground contacts/wheels definitions.

Btw, I fly with full HOTAS/Pedals.

I cannot wait for the next alpha version with the couple already fixed buggs you posted in the Opening Post.

You guys dooing solid work. Thank you.

Noice!

How about a variant with a "door" gunner? Like these Cayuses in Apocalypse Now.

It's cool that you guys accept feedback and sometimes make changes based on it.

As additional information, I usually fly with a Mouse, Keyboard, and Rudder Pedals. I hate using my HOTAS for helicopters. I also use/prefer the standard flight model.

My setup is a wired Xbox 360 controller and standard flight model.

It's not optimal and I'm still learning, but it gets the job done for now.

Making changes based on good feddback is the main reason why we released this early version of the mod. We can't thank you guys enough for it!

Good to know what you guys are using! I stick to keyboard+mouse+trackIR, while Diesel uses HOTAS+pedals+trackIR(he used to fly with a 360 controller).

Speaking of controls to fly helicopters;What about making a version capable to fly NOE Very Low and able to fly in vallys and canyons and has a some sort of Grid Net like the map has and analyze the ground ahead and a auto-pilot that issues a "fly-up order" with a 4-g limit ? If flying up a steep hill it could have a "radar altimeter" script that checks when it`s passed the hill and the distance to ground increses and do a pitch down 10*.

But you will need a working auto pilot to do this! .If done right (and set up for CAS runs in Zeus) it will be able to hide in plain sight and make movie-like evacs. Good luck!

There is a script version working for Hips in A2.

Edit :Please put on it Gun Pods ,like the on A-109 Armscore and EC-135.Thanks

That's a very interesting idea. I can see it being an amazing project for someone to work on across all helicopters to perfect AI behavior, but it's not within the scope of our mod. Also it takes away the fun of actually flying the helicopter :D

As for the gun pods, i'm not sure i understand. There are attack variants in the current version and we are adding more guns in the next update.

Since I hate switching between SFM and AFM (cause of the collective assignments) I did use the A/MH-6M's only in AFM.

While as you guys said "its not functional" it can be a used quite good. Flight model seems a lot easier than the A/MH-9, but thats probably just the values of the inherited class.

Only thing that hinders the use of the AFM is the floating issue. You probably already know, but when the bird is landed and AFM is enabled, the bird will be floating in about 1 m. Probably some missing ground contacts/wheels definitions.

I cannot wait for the next alpha version with the couple already fixed buggs you posted in the Opening Post.

Thank you for the feedback! We really haven't worked on the AFM so we're glad that it's at least somewhat usable :D

Keep an eye out for future updates!

Edited by sykoCrazy

Hi, I want to say a lot but swissMag took all below word from my mind, thanks for your brillant addon.

AFM with extended TM Warthog, Saitek Throttle Quadrant as collective, Saitek Cessna Rudders and TrackIR is only one way for flying as real as possible in A3. Can't wait for update.

Forgot to include that I also use TrackIR 5 ClipPro. It's a must-have for a game like ArmA if you play First Person!

I might be going a little overboard here but... will the damage model be on par with A3 destruction? Or will it be even more advanced, on par with mods like the AH-64D Apache Longbow? (Tail falling off, engine fires, etc.)