Sign in to follow this  
call_911

Windows X July 29th

X without P ? :D

i already have X , but with additional letter :D

apart from jokes, i only hear about how more and more spying is new software, with EULAs that are more and more usefull for CIA, NSA, etc. or term payments licenses

I´ll wait a few months before I decide if I want to upgrade from my current Win 7 Pro. Microsoft giving away a Windows for free? There has to be a catch somewhere.

most probably something with privacy, acta and etc.

most probably something with privacy, acta and etc.

Same trick with apps, you get it for free but you have to strip down. They are spying on your data and communication and selling this to third party companies...:p ?

Its crazy how much rights some simple adds want.

I got Win8 when I upgraded a while back. But in hindsight I think Win7 was way better. They just keep making them more snazzy, which is o.k. for those that like snazzy. I prefer practical, i.e. get to a place without having to see all the nice bits I could be using to get to that 'same place'.:j:

I hope for better backwards compatability. Win 8.1 was a step back in this regard. It also made me download stuff like missing .dll files which I didn't really expect. :p

But they say DX12 will bring better perfomance on existing hardware and many new possibilities.

Same trick with apps, you get it for free but you have to strip down. They are spying on your data and communication and selling this to third party companies...:p ?

Its crazy how much rights some simple adds want.

exactly - i remember when me and my friend logged from 2 different PCs but we were on one community website (FB) logged and on the same mail website,

i was collecting photo of one car - to make addon,

my friend was browsing LCD screens cause he wanted to buy LCD

next day we logged to our mails - i had 5 spam messages about... that car company, my friend had 8 spam messages in box about LCD screens

what a coincidence that on the same mail box in the same day 2 people get DIFFERENT spam

my friend didnt get spam about cars, i didnt get spam about LCD screens

moreover - his browser was adding and showing IT hardware ads, my browser was showing cars ads, what a coincidence

-------

from Polish net , but you can translate

IT guys say that Windows 10 is one spying system

http://www.dobreprogramy.pl/Windows-10-szpieguje-uzytkownikow-zachowuje-sie-jak-keylogger,News,58307.html

http://parezja.pl/nowy-windows-bedzie-szpiegowal-nas-wszystkich/

http://alexjones.pl/pl/aj/aj-nwo/aj-inwigilacja/item/38641-nowy-windows-b%C4%99dzie-szpiegowa%C5%82-nas-wszystkich

i am afraid that next Windows will spy us, push all not even from FB but from our HDD to CIA , NSA , FBI , maybe lock our documents, sending copies of documents, hell knows,

and when you will wake up commercial adds will be on your mobile if day before you was browsing for one product

and compatibility issues - got to buy new PC, old soft doesnt work,

than issues with drivers etc. flash player

i observe it when i watch YT on WinXP - all cpu at 10% , memory usage 300 mb,

when i click windows 7 i have on second disc, than .... 0% CPU, 70 mb memory use, on the same YT

when new windows will be out than maybe on win7 browsing YT will be problem that requires us to buy newest strong PC

Edited by vilas

I got Win8 when I upgraded a while back. But in hindsight I think Win7 was way better. They just keep making them more snazzy, which is o.k. for those that like snazzy. I prefer practical, i.e. get to a place without having to see all the nice bits I could be using to get to that 'same place'.:j:

Yeah like the new Cortana stuff that uses Bing to search for everything.

MS, no matter how hard you try, you will not make me use Bing. Google is simply better and there is nothing you can do about that

exactly - i remember when me and my friend logged from 2 different PCs but we were on one community website (FB) logged and on the same mail website,

i was collecting photo of one car - to make addon,

my friend was browsing LCD screens cause he wanted to buy LCD

next day we logged to our mails - i had 5 spam messages about... that car company, my friend had 8 spam messages in box about LCD screens

what a coincidence that on the same mail box in the same day 2 people get DIFFERENT spam

my friend didnt get spam about cars, i didnt get spam about LCD screens

moreover - his browser was adding and showing IT hardware ads, my browser was showing cars ads, what a coincidence

-------

There is a lot more going on......below is a full list of Android's current permissions groups (2014)

In-app purchases

An app can ask you to make purchases inside the app.

Device & app history

An app can use one or more of the following:

Read sensitive log data

Retrieve system internal state

Read your web bookmarks and history

Retrieve running apps

Cellular data settings

An app can use settings that control your mobile data connection and potentially the data you receive.

Identity

An app can use your account and/or profile information on your device.

Identity access may include the ability to:

Find accounts on the device

Read your own contact card (example: name and contact information)

Modify your own contact card

Add or remove accounts

Contacts/Calendar

An app can use your device's contacts and/or calendar information.

Contacts and calendar access may include the ability to:

Read your contacts

Modify your contacts

Read calendar events plus confidential information

Add or modify calendar events and send email to guests without owners' knowledge

An app can use your device's location.

Location access may include:

Approximate location (network-based)

Precise location (GPS and network-based)

Access extra location provider commands

GPS access

SMS

An app can use your device's text messaging (SMS) and/or multimedia media messaging service (MMS). This group may include the ability to use text, picture, or video messages.

Note: Depending on your plan, you may be charged by your carrier for text or multimedia messages. SMS access may include the ability to:

Receive text messages (SMS)

Read your text messages (SMS or MMS)

Receive text messages (MMS, like a picture or video message)

Edit your text messages (SMS or MMS)

Send SMS messages; this may cost you money

Receive text messages (WAP)

Phone

An app can use your phone and/or its call history.

Note: Depending on your plan, you may be charged by your carrier for phone calls.

Phone access may include the ability to:

Directly call phone numbers; this may cost you money

Write call log (example: call history)

Read call log

Reroute outgoing calls

Modify phone state

Make calls without your intervention

Photos/Media/Files

An app can use files or data stored on your device.

Photos/Media/Files access may include the ability to:

Read the contents of your USB storage (example: SD card)

Modify or delete the contents of your USB storage

Format external storage

Mount or unmount external storage

Camera/Microphone

An app can use your device's camera and/or microphone.

Camera and microphone access may include the ability to:

Take pictures and videos

Record audio

Record video

Wi-Fi connection information

An app can access your device's Wi-Fi connection information, like if Wi-Fi is turned on and the name(s) of connected devices.

Wi-Fi connection information access may include the ability to:

View Wi-Fi connections

Device ID & call information

An app can access your device ID(s), phone number, whether you're on the phone, and the number connected by a call.

Device ID & call information may include the ability to:

Read phone status and identity

Other

An app can use custom settings provided by your device manufacturer or application-specific permissions.

Note: If an app adds a permission that is in the "Other" group, you'll always be asked to review the change before downloading an update.

Other access may include the ability to:

Read your social stream (on some social networks

Write to your social stream (on some social networks)

Access subscribed feeds

When you review individual permissions, all permissions, including those not displayed in the permissions screen, will be shown in the "Other" group.

this list is unthinable :/ disgusting

but i know it,

once upon a time i get new "smartphone", next invoice was very high, what i found later (of course i send claim to operator), that... my phone was browsing internet in the night, it was collecting ads and i was charged for ... internet

transfer by my mobile

so i had to pay invoice for ads i get, wtf ?

of course i said i will sue them and they returned money because it was smartphone with brandware written by operator not orginal producer software but often in my country operator gives you mobile with his own software

Got the "Get windows 10" icon appear in my notification area today and I've reserved it.

There is a lot more going on......below is a full list of Android's current permissions groups (2014)

Well, if you have a data manager app it needs to access data stored on your device/ modify it.

If you have a photo modification app it needs to read your photos and "use them".

Not saying that everything is well and dandy here, but it always depends on the context how critical something is, don't you think?

Ok I am surprised no one has asked the obvious question.

Will Windows 10 work with A3?

Well, if you have a data manager app it needs to access data stored on your device/ modify it.

If you have a photo modification app it needs to read your photos and "use them".

Not saying that everything is well and dandy here, but it always depends on the context how critical something is, don't you think?

This is right, apps need certain access.

But - a lot if not most of the free apps (you will find also paid ones) get permissions which the software itself does not need.

Dont forget, most free apps means a certain business concept - to sell data to third party companies.

And if you install such an app you agree that they can have access and sniff in your privacy.

X-Privacy is an app for example which prevents leaking private sensitive data.

This app can block permissions and is very customizeable- definately a must have app for your smartphone in our "1984" modern digital age.

http://www.xda-developers.com/protecting-your-privacy-app-ops-privacy-guard-and-xprivacy/

Edited by oxmox

I´ll wait a few months before I decide if I want to upgrade from my current Win 7 Pro. Microsoft giving away a Windows for free? There has to be a catch somewhere.
For starters it's only free if you claim it before 29 July 2016, second you already paid for Windows 7 Pro...

@ dale0404: No one's publicly reported their result with an attempt, even if it was only via a VM.

Is anybody running the Beta version of WinX an playing ArmA3/ArmA2? And if so...any noticable differences say between Win7 HP an WinX an ArmA3 an ArmA2?

Is anybody running the Beta version of WinX an playing ArmA3/ArmA2? And if so...any noticable differences say between Win7 HP an WinX an ArmA3 an ArmA2?

Arma 3 works smoothly in Win 10, but I switched to win8 in the beta days, so can't compare with windows 7. Though whatever people say, win8.1 is a great OS, in terms of performance and power.

And about cortana and bing...every major company bundles their products in the software. Google now makes searches in google. Cortana in Bing. It's just a natural move for MS to include this things.

Arma 3 works smoothly in Win 10, but I switched to win8 in the beta days, so can't compare with windows 7. Though whatever people say, win8.1 is a great OS, in terms of performance and power.

And about cortana and bing...every major company bundles their products in the software. Google now makes searches in google. Cortana in Bing. It's just a natural move for MS to include this things.

Yeah i was'nt impressed with the way MS switched the desktop in Win8 an trying to restorm my moms laptap was interesting(at the time) i've slowly gotten used to it. but all an all i like the traditional way as it is in Win7, but WinX is suposed to bring back the more traditional desktop an with DX12 an all so we'll see i have my own Win7 install cd so can always switch back i guess. Dunno if BI will be able to implimeant DX12 into armA3 or maybe try doing so with the expansion an that an sounds like other games(DCSW2) may benefit from it also so. i was really leary about tying the beta version so.

Edited by Call_911

Yeah i was'nt impressed with the way MS switched the desktop in Win8 an trying to restorm my moms laptap was interesting(at the time) i've slowly gotten used to it. but all an all i like the traditional way as it is in Win7, but WinX is suposed to bring back the more traditional desktop an with DX12 an all so we'll see i have my own Win7 install cd so can always switch back i guess. Dunno if BI will be able to implimeant DX12 into armA3 or maybe try doing so with the expansion an that an sounds like other games(DCSW2) may benefit from it also so. i was really leary about tying the beta version so.

Windows 8 Start screen is just like a big, full window start menu. You type first letters of an app, it appears, like in Win7 Menu

Yeah like the new Cortana stuff that uses Bing to search for everything.

I do like the idea of being able to yell at my PC from across the room to make it do stuff. Useless? For the most part, but being able to play with something like Cortana from the Halo series (with that voiceover) seems like a very fun toy. Would be even better if you could add custom commands to it.

EDIT: Anyway, why is the Windows 10 upgrade free? What is the catch?

Edited by NeMeSiS

EDIT: Anyway, why is the Windows 10 upgrade free? What is the catch?
You would have to claim it by 29 July 2016 in order for it to be free, it's an upgrade so Microsoft already got some money for the Windows 7 or 8/8.1 license that you're upgrading from, and new Windows 10 licenses are $120.

You would have to claim it by 29 July 2016 in order for it to be free, it's an upgrade so Microsoft already got some money for the Windows 7 or 8/8.1 license that you're upgrading from, and new Windows 10 licenses are $120.

You can still update non lincensed versions to win10 for free, but they will show as non licensed.

MS is moving into making money with other services, same as other companies. Suppose primary with adverts in free services and selling private data for ad companies.

About the time date limit, i'm not really sure. What I'm certain is that it will be only free as an upgrade, not a new system.

There is a time limit, but I´m pretty sure that you have a few months time, not only until the 29th of July

The time limit was previously announced to be one year from whenever Windows 10 launched, which we've recently learned to be 29 July.