ProfTournesol

Windows 10 compatibility with OFP/ArmA:CWA

Hi guys,

i'm about to upgrade my Windows 7 system to Windows 10 (free upgrade proposal), is there any reason OFP/ ArmA:CWA shouldn't work anymore ? Should all the drivers be updated too ?

Why not run a VM with the latest Windows 10 Insider Preview builds and find out?

Why not run a VM with the latest Windows 10 Insider Preview builds and find out?

No clue how to do that, my bad :confused:

Set up a virtual machine, then go here and follow the "download the ISO files" link (I believe that the URL changes when they update the ISO build, hence why I didn't direct-link), and use the downloaded ISO as the install media for your VM.

Sorry to bump this thread but how has the upgrade to Windows 10 worked out so far for those actively playing OFP/CWA?

Works fine for me only problem is that when I launch I creates a black bar at the top which you have to switch resolutions to get rid of, and the effects is lost if you tab in and out.

• Like 2

(...) and the effects is lost if you tab in and out.

What do You mean by these effects? Particles or lighting dissappears after alt-tabbing?

I got the same problem like stgn - I must reset resolution each time I launch the game.

Everything else works fine.

What do You mean by these effects? Particles or lighting dissappears after alt-tabbing?

He means the black bar reappears after alt-tabbing so you'd have to switch resolution every time you alt-tab.

Hi, just got windows 10 and ofp is not working, it installed fine but won't do anything when I try to launch it. My previous pc was win7 and it worked fine there. Any ideas how to get this work?

Hi, just got windows 10 and ofp is not working, it installed fine but won't do anything when I try to launch it. My previous pc was win7 and it worked fine there. Any ideas how to get this work?

bump. I've patched it to 1.91 version but still nothing. Won't work with compatibility mode and run with administrator thing... I'm quite clueless here.

Unfortunately Windows 10 does not like OFP/CWA too much. I've been having issues ever since I switched to it, including slow loading textures and models (blurry look), black bar on top, some mods refusing to load, etc. I would say that outside of an official patch that would fix compatability (here goes our hope  :P ) it would be best to dual boot XPs and run OFP/CWA on that. If you're having graphical issues with the game it's likely because of the OS rather than your hardware. 

I have 1.96 and 1.99 installed for using a few different mods that were compatible with each.

Windows 10 has completely broken OFP 1.96 for me. The Windows taskbar is visible, Alt-tabbing and changing resolutions crashes the game.

In "Cold War Assault" 1.99   there is an annoying black bar on the top with two white spots on each side. Changing resolutions doesn't fix it.

Quite a shame.

1.99:

I've got the black bar on top as well, because I've got DXDLL running the image it gives me makes me think it's running two copies of the game on top of each other since I can see two instances of DXDLL at work ... but the performance seems the same so I doubt it.

Haven't got the Alt-tab issues, the game crashes when I try to switch resolutions but it has been doing that for me ever since 1.96 came out, across three PCs, Windows XP and 7 and game versions 1.96 and 1.99 ... The only way I can change resolution is through editing the config file.

1.96:

I can change the resolution ingame in 1.96. This has only been possible since switching to Windows 10. The editor looks normal besides the black bar in this version, in 1.99 it looks like a 4:3 window with both sides of the screen glitching into two broad sidebars. I've only installed this to be able to run Bulldozer, so I haven't applied any widescreen tweaks to this install.

I'm on AMD.

Bump!!

Few months have passed, Is there any fixes available for the Black Bar appearing on CWA with Windows 10?

Well, I just got thru the latest automatic major update of Windows 10 and it appears the black bar in CWA is gone and the textures are loading faster also. It works fine with DXDLL too. Quite surprised this "fix" came from MS rather than Bohemia. ;p

• Like 2

Can't even start it unless I start in windowed mode through Steam. Even then it hangs on the BI screen.Starting normally crashes immediately.

i have win7 so i cant tell, but my fried says there is problem with win10 when you are using mod, if you are using some addons, bin, dta... it have chance to crach, he said its before mods are created for OFP not CWA so it may crash before win10 i dont know if its true (i think not), but maybe. i have win7 using many mods and have no crash

I have had a controls problem. When simultaneusly moving mouse to a side and depressing keyboard rotate or strafe, the player unit can go into an indefinite spin until a different movement is made, especially common when standing on flat terrain.

On 30-4-2018 at 4:33 AM, barccy said:

I have had a controls problem. When simultaneusly moving mouse to a side and depressing keyboard rotate or strafe, the player unit can go into an indefinite spin until a different movement is made, especially common when standing on flat terrain.

That already happened to me 5 years ago. It seems most frequent on desert island. Custom animations seem to increase the odds of it happening.

• Like 1

Too much high FPS, use Crossoro's d3d8to9.dll that reduces to 60fps and also transforms drawcalls or sompin' to XD9 standarts, able to use reshade and stuff

Win98 compatibility mode helped to launch on high-end spec, double vga one