Sign in to follow this  
Delta Hawk

US Military Mod - Questions about addon editing

I'm porting my US Military Mod to ArmA3 :yay:

Already it's exciting. There's so much I can do with the equipment feature in ArmA 3 that held me back a lot in ArmA 2. I'm looking at adding so much new content from the 90s. Naturally I have a lot of questions that I don't have the answers to and too be honest, I rather focus more time on creating than trying to figure stuff out myself, so I decided to create this thread with all my questions. Feel free to answer a question. I would greatly appreciate it because it'll allow me to focus on content creation and get to addon out to you all as soon as possible.

1. As far as items goes, is there any real difference between defining them as a magazine or a weapon? I have a lot of small items that'll be carried by my Soldiers, Marines and Sailors and I want to make sure I pick the right one. Right now as weapons, the mass of the items isn't working.

2. How do I make my own first aid kit and compass? Both in the game are wrong for the 90s. The first aid kit should be the GI field dressing and the compass should be the one from ArmA2.

3. Any thoughts on making the M17 gas mask a "goggle" so you can use it with your helmet?

4. Any thoughts on how to be able to equip small items like a gasmask carrier, gloves and knee pads? Can I create my own proxies like the vest, headgear and backpacks?

4. Any thoughts on how to be able to equip small items like a gasmask carrier, gloves and knee pads? Can I create my own proxies like the vest, headgear and backpacks?

No you can't create your own proxy slots just like that. In addition, having all this small stuff as extra proxy would be bad for the performance, because it increases section count alot.

Uniform, vest, headgear, goggle(/mask) and backpack are the only slots you can use afaik.

You have to limit yourself to the most common outfit combinations (with kneepads, without, etc) and put them into one uniform model...

3. Any thoughts on making the M17 gas mask a "goggle" so you can use it with your helmet?

There already is a mod that has gasmasks in it, "hidden identities" iirc.

Edited by Fennek

1. As far as items goes, is there any real difference between defining them as a magazine or a weapon? I have a lot of small items that'll be carried by my Soldiers, Marines and Sailors and I want to make sure I pick the right one. Right now as weapons, the mass of the items isn't working.

2. How do I make my own first aid kit and compass? Both in the game are wrong for the 90s. The first aid kit should be the GI field dressing and the compass should be the one from ArmA2.

1. ArmA 3 now has actual items that can be defined as such. Take a look at ACE3, my own SC Inventory Items, or a variety of other mods for examples of this.

2. Just create your own items then inherit from the necessary classes. So, like your field dressing would inherit from "FirstAidKit" and then you would just change the name, mass, model, etc. (Dunno about compasses though)

3. Yes, it's very simple. Just make the gasmask, rig it to the "Head", then define it under CfgGlasses instead of CfgWeapons.

4. Yes, sort of. What you can do is make these various additions hiddenselections on your helmets, vests, and uniforms. So, for example, lets say you have a uniform you want to have optional kneepads on, you can add these kneepads, then make a selection in oxygen (object builder) called "attach_kneepads", then hide it via config on uniforms that dont need it.

I strongly encourage looking at the sample models, or even unpacking ArmA 3 pbos to get a deeper understanding of everything. It will make your life alot easier in the future. If you need anymore help just PM me.

No you can't create your own proxy slots just like that. In addition, having all this small stuff as extra proxy would be bad for the performance, because it increases section count alot.

Uniform, vest, headgear, goggle(/mask) and backpack are the only slots you can use afaik.

You have to limit yourself to the most common outfit combinations (with kneepads, without, etc) and put them into one uniform model...

There already is a mod that has gasmasks in it, "hidden identities" iirc.

I'm trying to be realistic as possible and unless the gasmasks are US M17A2s then I can't use them.

1. ArmA 3 now has actual items that can be defined as such. Take a look at ACE3, my own SC Inventory Items, or a variety of other mods for examples of this.

2. Just create your own items then inherit from the necessary classes. So, like your field dressing would inherit from "FirstAidKit" and then you would just change the name, mass, model, etc. (Dunno about compasses though)

3. Yes, it's very simple. Just make the gasmask, rig it to the "Head", then define it under CfgGlasses instead of CfgWeapons.

4. Yes, sort of. What you can do is make these various additions hiddenselections on your helmets, vests, and uniforms. So, for example, lets say you have a uniform you want to have optional kneepads on, you can add these kneepads, then make a selection in oxygen (object builder) called "attach_kneepads", then hide it via config on uniforms that dont need it.

I strongly encourage looking at the sample models, or even unpacking ArmA 3 pbos to get a deeper understanding of everything. It will make your life alot easier in the future. If you need anymore help just PM me.

I've actually decided to do that. Make them hidden selections, make items you can equip and if you do have that item equipped, then show the hidden selection. So if you pick up a gasmask carrier, you'll have a gas mask carrier strapped to your leg. I could also make the gasmask carrier a pair of glasses that you can keep in your uniform and if you want to put on your gasmask you just drag it from your uniform to the glasses slot and you put your mask on. How does that sound?

I'll try to inherit the first aid kit. I really would like to get the correct compass though.

I meant I already have then defined as items, but they have no mass :( I'm not sure if my config is right. It should be.

I'm trying to be realistic as possible and unless the gasmasks are US M17A2s then I can't use them.

:rolleyes: i didnt say you should use them... you should look at them and see how it looks / how its done

Would love to donate to this effort if you had an avenue open for that :)

:rolleyes: i didnt say you should use them... you should look at them and see how it looks / how its done

Ok, I'll do that. Hopefully that'll help me figure this out.

---------- Post added at 20:52 ---------- Previous post was at 20:51 ----------

Would love to donate to this effort if you had an avenue open for that :)

Thanks! There's a couple small scripts I may need in the future if that sounds like something you're familiar with.

Oh, I meant money! Haha :p Happy to offer some extra scripting manpower too, though, if I'm capable :)

Can't wait. Finally, I'll have a reason to play ArmA 3 now. :o

3- That's the way i would go for gas masks, there are also other facewear items that go in the goggles slot. Even the virtual arsenal marks it as "facewear".

4- Gloves and kneepads must be part of either uniform, vest, backpack or helmet, but the uniform slot is the most logical. Make a few variants with/without those items.

This is some pretty awesome news. Now I can finally have a mod that I can look forward to in ArmA 3.

Does this mean you plan on porting over your sweet vehicles and logistical support assets?

This is some pretty awesome news. Now I can finally have a mod that I can look forward to in ArmA 3.

Does this mean you plan on porting over your sweet vehicles and logistical support assets?

Yes, I will porting over all of my vehicles and equipment.

I decided to make extra stuff like the knee pads and gasmasks hidden selections, create items of the stuff that you can carry and try to find a scripter who can write a light weight script that checks to see if you have any of the items in your inventory and if so, then use the set object texture command to show that piece of equipment. As far as players are concerned, it'll seems like an extra piece of gear.

With the gasmask as a face item, you'll be able to store it in both your equipment when you are not using it and on your face.

Yes Laqueesha, I do plan on including IBAs.

Perhaps you should look at ACE Mod for features like gas masks and such.

Excitement is brewing, mixing your classical units with the new terrain will make for some cool near Nam-ish type scenarios.

Excitement is brewing, mixing your classical units with the new terrain will make for some cool near Nam-ish type scenarios.

That's an understatement! I just saw the new terrain (woo-hoo BIS!) and the direction I want to take my mod will fit in perfectly ;)

Sounds exciting. Every day I come here hoping to see some pics of your great models in Arma 3 :D

Ditto. Subscribed to this thread. Can assist with scripting (though my first thought for a units addon would be; script only where absolutely necessary).

Ditto. Subscribed to this thread. Can assist with scripting (though my first thought for a units addon would be; script only where absolutely necessary).

I do need a lightweight script or module to check to see if any of my units in game has certain items and if so, use the setobjecttexture to show those items on the unit, like the gasmask carrier or knee pads and if they drop the items, use the setobjecttexture command again to hide those items on the character.

I can make it work with triggers in game, but I was looking for something that low drag and easy to use instead of complicated triggers.

If you could maybe code something for me I would really appreciate it :D

I think I could do something light and unobtrusive that fits the bill. Do you have a single sample unit I can work against?

Where do I find out how to make new identities?  The "NATO" identity for my soldiers isn't very accurate with the facial hair.  I also have to give them random BCGs.

Ok, so I basically I have to create a duplicate config classes of the heads I want to use, then assign the identitytypes to my identities used by my characters?  Seems easy.  Where can I legitimately find the config for the heads?  I believe it's against the rules to de-pbo BIS's work if I remember.

Ok, so I basically I have to create a duplicate config classes of the heads I want to use, then assign the identitytypes to my identities used by my characters?  Seems easy.  Where can I legitimately find the config for the heads?  I believe it's against the rules to de-pbo BIS's work if I remember.

it's not

just debinarizing .p3d files

Oh, awesome.  That makes life so much easier.  Thanks!  All the faces are now in proper military grooming standards.

I'm now having issues with getting my glasses to work.

In my glasses class I have < identityTypes[] = {"NoGlasses",0,"G_usm_generic",1};> and in my units I have < identityTypes[] =  {"LanguageENG_F","usm_heads_generic","G_usm_generic"}; > but all of my units are wearing the glasses.  How can I make it to where only a small fraction are wearing them?