In Arma-II-times I could create and host a little deathmatch map (vanilla, without mods, hosted on PC at home) and a few minutes later the map was full of players (about 8-16). Nowadays in Arma III nobody joins even after half an hour.

Too much games on the market now-days, lots of ArmA mods, too. Advertise your server through social media, and, of course, be different regarding the content you provide!

One of the things that I have noticed in the game,  Is the lack of maps.  If BI would have focoused on a new map instead of gocarts.  Things might be better.  It seems that the number of server for arms 3 has stayed the same over the last year,  But people have gotten bored with it in its default form.  So they have started modding it,  And a lot of server are using the AIA modpacks,  and altering it just a little so that no One pack will work on other servers.

If you are looking for PvP, please check this out, i'm holding on to the hope that a few guys still know what PvP on OFP/Arma is like :