Sign in to follow this  
pete10

This game is about realism, right? Human movement still the biggest immersion killer.

I always admired people complaining about "jumP" animation because they are scared of bunny hopping but never gave a fuck about the fact that a player can run around like a crazy fucker changing direction so quickly and without getting hit once.

Realism... I guess.

to be completely fair I don't think any has ever solved that issue and has added momentum.

Although I hear squad has some type of momentum system in place to try to fix that. I will say though that Arma 2 with the sluggier controls had the character movement be a tiny bit more realistic compared to the twitch reaction in arma 3.

to be completely fair I don't think any has ever solved that issue and has added momentum.

Although I hear squad has some type of momentum system in place to try to fix that. I will say though that Arma 2 with the sluggier controls had the character movement be a tiny bit more realistic compared to the twitch reaction in arma 3.

That is actually somewhat true. In A3 it's pretty much a standard to zigzag your way out of fire and always been a crutch :s

I seriously hope Arma 3 gets similiar system as Squad. No more twitchy runners :(

He's correct. I mentioned that squad implemented the momentum feature specifically to tackle the impossible task of Zig-Zagging in the split of a second. This is done by having your body turn where your head is looking seconds later during full sprint. If you walking, you can move in the direction your head is looking instantly, but not for running. Some may call this a sluggish approach, but it's far from it. It does great, looks good. You don't have guys snapping left to right in an impossible manner. The Zig-Zag thing has long pissed me off, especially in Arma 3. I shoot at someone and miss, the first thing they do is the redonk zig-zag. Of course, i don't expect them to stand still, but serpentine shouldn't be that instant, especially with lots of gear on.

i'd say that this is very similar to the prone turn issue. it needs lowered turn speed. that would be totally enough imho since you can't shoot while sprinting anyways. would need to be a capped max turn speed though and not just lowered sensitivity since that can easily be countered with huge mouse movements.

since you can shoot while being prone, prone needs a little extra thing that would be a turning animation you can not shoot in. much like crawling forward the hands should be occupied with actually making the movement happen.

i think momentum systems go beyond those basic limits usaully. stuff like gradual animation change and movement speed for starting and ending a sprint etc.

it is more often done in 3rd person games i think because it can feel weird in first person as someone mentioned about GTA 5 1st person. could be maybe fixed with well tuned inbetween speeds or even seamless speed adjustment. how cool would that be? infact. something tells me that GTA could have seamless movement speed when you use a gamepad. not sure. never played it with one or on a console.

after reading both points of view here, i feel that i need to add something, especially after i watched some of the e3 gameplay videos and then i realized that most of the time when a game is centered around a few characters like tombrider or metal gear the characthers animations are a lot better than arma 3, but not only arma 3, better than division, ghost recon, bf4, destiny and other titles with stratospheric budgets and very filled with playable content(vehicles, large maps) because those devs center all the game attention on the main character and not on a lot more around(vehicles, simulations, etc) by that fact if said character travel into a populated world(ac, unchartered, farcry, etc) its not complicated for the devs to just port those extensive anims to the rest of the world and make it look like 20000 people worked 10 years on it, when in fact its just the main character anims extrapolated to the rest of the npc entities.

i watched the ghost recon video and i remember some 3rd pers a3 gameplays and unless you look very close, you cant see big differences in animations, but yet again ghost recon is not as well animated either than tomb rider or gears of war, but tomb rider dont have bf4 style vehicles, drones, etc.

Edited by freesets

freesets - as it has been said numerous times before - the issues is NOT the animation dataset. for A3, it is quite huge. It is about the ability to blend those animations (breaking those on parts of the body) together, which it isn't possible with A3. So it isn't as much about the animations (all mocaped) but the system that drives those

The transitions. Got to climb ladder, change at the bottom, get to the top, got to change again to ready (aware) with weapon, hang on a minute don't fire... Too late, dead.

There is that moment when it just seems unfair to fire.:868: A2 is pretty bad, A3 better, but still lacks.

freesets - as it has been said numerous times before - the issues is NOT the animation dataset. for A3, it is quite huge. It is about the ability to blend those animations (breaking those on parts of the body) together, which it isn't possible with A3. So it isn't as much about the animations (all mocaped) but the system that drives those

i know that, but why are you saying its impossible with a3 engine to blend them, i know for a fact that once you have the source code of the engine(arma devs and any devs) its possible to add/fix anything. maybe its not implemented yet but impossible i dont think so. a lot of mods of other games in the past that i use/used prooved that the impossible is quite possible. a quick example: the map limit in bf2, project reality has 4x4km maps judged not supported by the engine until they did something with the python code...and pouf they work.

Edited by freesets

i know that, but why are you saying its impossible with a3 engine to blend them, i know for a fact that once you have the source code of the engine(arma devs and any devs) its possible to add/fix anything. maybe its not implemented yet but impossible i dont think so. a lot of mods of other games in the past that i use/used prooved that the impossible is quite possible. a quick example: the map limit in bf2, project reality has 4x4km maps judged not supported by the engine until they did something with the python code...and pouf they work.

Uh, what? We're talking about the limits of the animation system as it stands now, not some theoretical version. No one is saying that it can't be fixed or improved upon. That's actually the opposite of what people are saying.