Sign in to follow this  
bravo409

PBO ai mods really help fps issues..Scripted ones kill fps

So I have been testing different AI mods out that use PBO's in Arma 2 and 3, and found that scripted Ai take quite a bit out of fps. This Said I think Ai modder's should really look into this and take in to consideration that if I'm right then making there whole Ai mods into PBO's would be easier for other people complaining about fps drops. Just for fun I used gl5 ai with arma 2 ai PBO's only and the reaction time was just as good as fsm scripts and gave me good fps even with 20 ai running around. I hope someone looks into this and see's what what I found and maybe this will help with modders using Ai using scripts to look into this thanks for reading and happy testing.

LOL seriously, 20 AI? Test with at least a couple of hundred then come back. Sorry mate.

Yeah, we killed roughly 400 MCC Gaia AI today. I know of communities that use ASR/DAC/ALiVE and can have even more AI than that.

Well I also didn't want to destroy my cpu with a lot of ai This was for people that have a hard time playing but want to play anyways this could be a solution thats all.

Yeah, we killed roughly 400 MCC Gaia AI today. I know of communities that use ASR/DAC/ALiVE and can have even more AI than that.

400 in a day...:butbut:.. I like your logic... lets keep it 'real'........ :rolleyes:

I'm just glad I don't play with your clan or the ones you know. Get yourself some decent AI and you wouldn't kill that many over lots of days/weeks/sittings, with 20-30 of you playing co-op against AI.

Of course there may be 300 of you playing in the clan all playing the same mission/campaign, in which case its getting a little nearer the realistic mark for the amount of kills you state, but I doubt that's the case. ;)

_

@Bravo409, its a valid point you have, if your using some decent AI, which of course GL4/5 are. They can be heavier and having large numbers will simply dumb them down without a good cache system, one that keeps their behaviour in-tact (very important, but not easy to find).

Concerning the difference between packed or not, I'm not sure of that myself, but I wouldn't be surprised. AI is very odd and can behave very differently from pc to pc, so its more than possible your pc finds the script version heavier for some reason.

I wouldn't want more than 120AI in combat at one time anyway, just to keep them intelligent, even with my upgrade system and using the mod I do. Its very rare we'll have more than 50-70 AI in combat in the same location at one time anyway (usually a lot lower numbers than that), just the way we play. We also wouldn't be looking to kill all 50-70, we couldn't with our AI. There's around 20 of us playing co-op against AI, we would be looking to get away somehow, escape the situation rather than stay and get killed from the superior enemy (AI) numbers. Because they will win, I have no doubt of that.

Certainly we couldn't despatch the numbers of AI mentioned above in that post, that would be very un-realistic.

Of course you can have many hundreds of AI on the terrain, as long as the amounts meeting together and in combat don't exceed what your pc can handle to keep your AI sensible. That's not what your pc can perform at, with AI around i.e. fps wise. The two are different in my experience, handling larger AI numbers on screen or in the same location can be fine, but then wanting them to be good AI (sensible), ones that will be a very good opponent, is another matter. Many pc's will run with lots of AI on the screen or in the same location, all in combat, but won't realise the pc can't handle the number intelligently. But that's when you get silly kill numbers, as above. Because the AI just become basic bots to be killed. Which is no fun at all, imo.

The best AI available, or indeed not (publically) available, will fail, if the pc running it can't handle the numbers.

But like I said, if you want good AI, ones that think a little more and play using tactics. Then use a decent AI mod or mix of mods, then watch those AI numbers, in combat at one time.

Plus of course testing, its very important that you know what your setup can handle AI wise, or game wise. :)

Edited by ChrisB

400 in a day...:butbut:.. I like your logic... lets keep it 'real'........ :rolleyes:

I'm just glad I don't play with your clan or the ones you know. Get yourself some decent AI and you wouldn't kill that many over lots of days/weeks/sittings, with 20-30 of you playing co-op against AI.

Of course there may be 300 of you playing in the clan all playing the same mission/campaign, in which case its getting a little nearer the realistic mark for the amount of kills you state, but I doubt that's the case. ;)

We are talking about performance of AI, not our community's logic or 'keeping it 'real''. You don't know what you're talking about so perhaps speculate a bit less. A 4 hour long operation of a 7-episode campaign (this was the last episode) that ends with us defending against a desperate enemy that throws everything it has left at us wouldn't have the same effect unless you actually see hordes of enemies trying to mow you down. It was indeed epic and the performance was acceptable.

How this differentiates between .pbo vs. script version - makes no sense to me. Isn't it the same code?

We are talking about performance of AI, not our community's logic or 'keeping it 'real''. You don't know what you're talking about so perhaps speculate a bit less. A 4 hour long operation of a 7-episode campaign (this was the last episode) that ends with us defending against a desperate enemy that throws everything it has left at us wouldn't have the same effect unless you actually see hordes of enemies trying to mow you down. It was indeed epic and the performance was acceptable.

Your only cementing what I was assuming took place. The performance was acceptable and the AI were mind dead.. You managed to kill 100 AI every hour, well done. :rolleyes:

Oh, here.. :coop:

apart from a bold statement that makes it hard to read i see no detail that supports the fact... he could as well have compared apples with oranges...

I spawn easily on my computer (or in my server) around 200 AI units at same time maintaining stable 60 FPS. In fact all the missions that I play (I only play with AI (team/enemy) I chose to spawn all the AI at mission start to avoid the lag spikes caused by the AI spawning when detected.

BUT, soon in have I have couple on sight the FPS severely drops, this leads me to conclude that the issues with AI are not related with CPU, it is related with graphics rendering (probably caused by the insane amount of detail that has to be rendered individualy (with DX11)).

So I have been testing different AI mods out that use PBO's in Arma 2 and 3, and found that scripted Ai take quite a bit out of fps. This Said I think Ai modder's should really look into this and take in to consideration that if I'm right then making there whole Ai mods into PBO's would be easier for other people complaining about fps drops. Just for fun I used gl5 ai with arma 2 ai PBO's only and the reaction time was just as good as fsm scripts and gave me good fps even with 20 ai running around. I hope someone looks into this and see's what what I found and maybe this will help with modders using Ai using scripts to look into this thanks for reading and happy testing.

face_palm.gif *over 9000* because you fail to understand that sqf can also be called from pbo ... your whole post is so full of BS it reminds me why BIF has become such a strange place i only visit when drunk :D

BUT, soon in have I have couple on sight the FPS severely drops, this leads me to conclude that the issues with AI are not related with CPU, it is related with graphics rendering

Any AI, or just enemy?

With all AI in general still depending of AI it may vary, for instance with RHS Mod this situation is more pronounced.

How this differentiates between .pbo vs. script version - makes no sense to me. Isn't it the same code?

On a related note... I hope you got it all on video so we or even just I can watch that later :D