Sign in to follow this  
kmiles1990

Too many vertices

Hello all,

First off, I am new to the world of modeling for Arma 3.

So I downloaded a free airplane model for 3ds just to sort of get my feet wet in how to get it to work in arma. I exported it then imported it into 02. I tried to view in bulldozer and got the error to many vertices.

So i read some post about taking a none animated section naming it and creating a proxy. So I took the fuselage which is the majority of the plane and sent it to proxy. I then selected to create proxy and pointed to the fuselage. Now when I load it up instead of saying error my main file contains to many vertices.... It says error the proxy I created contains to many vertices.

What steps should I take on how to fix this? I really just want to see myself get this model working in game before I set on the adventure of creating my own models. Just so I know I can make it work before I put tons of hours into design.

Thanks for any help guys.

---------- Post added at 17:37 ---------- Previous post was at 17:04 ----------

If someone can just add me on skype, That would be awesome. I have so many question on not only the vertices but the correct format to program it.

Skype is Kmiles1990

Arma has a poly count limit of roughly 20 000 verts/faces per object. The reason you got those errors is because your objects exceed that limit. In the second case where you split some of it up into a proxy, that proxy object still exceeded the limit so you still got the error. If your aircraft still has too many verts even when you split it up like that then it's probably way too detailed and you'd be better off with a less detailed model to work with.

I was thinking that too until I cut roughly half of it out and it still said it was exceeding.. The model has only 21,000. So it still would not show in bulldozer with roughly around 13k only. I even tried the smoothing technique I saw here on the forum, still nothing.

Could you possibly add me and give me a call on skype? I would love to show you and you can help me figure it out. kmiles1990

It depends on the p3d genre. Helos and planes can usually handle around 29k vertices, 17k polys (roughly). Its possible you have something hiding in the model perhaps, and convert what you can to quads, as this will save you polys. There are several ways to cut down on count, most of which you should be doing inside 3ds max (or whatever program) rather than O2 which isn't very user friendly