Sign in to follow this  
stilton

The game still feels unbalanced. [ mess of broken potential ]

Ok,

Where to start. As impressive-looking as this game -can- be at times... For the most part it just feels like a lot of wasted potential.

We're given all these toys, but half of them are broken.

Lighting:

- flashlights are gimmicks -- they're ineffective and NVG's are OP compared. There is no sense of balancing here for Pvp, it's either use NVG's or die.

- The illumination rounds from mortars and Flare-grenades are also nigh-useless.

-- So the combination of the two, there is no alternative to NVG's.. and furthermore No drawback to using NVG's... no whiteout, no 'fuzziness' no batteries, no interference... Tough choice.

- Fog (regardless of how its implemented) does not affect the AI's view distance/visibility/spotting chance... rendering it again, broken / pointless.. (but nice looking) http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=22777

Mortars need fixed.

Illumination rounds are useless (practically useless, they make a light in the sky, they do not light the ground)

We still dont have WP or smoke mortars, which we had in arma2...

Huron needs fixed. - http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=21268

This premium chopper which has such a small niche role [Everything it does, can be done better by a ghosthawk, so it doesn't need more cons] i can't even play myself because anytime someone boards it, it makes a horrible cracking sound in 5.1... It's not a minor thing to me if you've got people jumping in and out every few minutes... It's actually very loud.

SLI still needs fixed: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=436

I dont even have SLI anymore, but it saddens me to see a 2+ year old ticket on the bug tracker which doesn't allow people using SLI to actually use the pip sights without seeing some horrible flickering shit and the best reply is: "oh yeah, we'll look into it."

I appreciate the patches, the ai improvements... But these are not minor things and the fact they are constantly overlooked makes me question how often the devs actually try to play around in the editor or just full-stop play the game.

Edited by Stilton

Can't speak about the other parts, but the flashlight and mortar flare issue you've mention I can agree on.

Flares generally should be brighter and longer lasting. For the flashlights, it would be nice to actually have a adjustable cone of light and higher and different brightness levels. Last but not least, batteries for NVGs and flashlights would be welcomed.

I would suggest you to make a feedback tracker ticket AND post this post into the development discussion thread. Devs are around there on a daily basis and might give you an answer directly.

Kind Regards

R3vo

Very much agree on your points. It would be so awesome if flashlights (and other bright light sources) actually rendered NVGs useless.

Shame that the Huron still has that nasty sound issue with surround configurations, small part of the reason why I switched to speakers was because of that. And it's like, the only sound in the whole game that has that problem? Weird.

Btw, the troubleshooting section is not the right one to post things like this. This fits more into general discussion.

I think most of the community gave up on BI providing solutions long ago which is why we have this amazing modding community.

Lighting is engine limitation.

AI view distance is affected correctly with AI mods like ASR (their visibility at night+rain+fog is less than 15 meters!).

Mortars will receive an overhaul in ACE3 but their lighting effects will still be limited by engine.

No serious community is using vanilla assets, especially DLC content that means some members can't use it...

But I can't disagree, all of your points are valid. What do you want? :p

Very much agree on your points. It would be so awesome if flashlights (and other bright light sources) actually rendered NVGs useless.

This actually sounds like a fun game mechanic that could be pronounced for the sole sake of gameplay (also static search lights!).

A bit of rock-paper-scissor. :cool:

Any yeah, NVGs - and even more so thermal vision - always felt super OP. Well, I can't tell how accurate their capabilities and downsides are represented (as if I have any clue about such stuff...), but I've always felt that there might be a temporal/technological sweet spot for games like ArmA; once the future happens and things are incredibly accurate, powerful and automated (and what not...), the whole pew-pewing game just loses too much of fun gameplay it had in "simpler times". Or would you like robot-bullets that find their target on their own? :( But that's another story.

Anyways: +1 For more "dirty" NVGs/thermal vision with actual downsides to them.

On a side note: There always have been batteries (for laser designators?) in the game, right? Did anyone ever had to use them? Could it be fun, if the energy/power problem for tech-gadgets (gps, radio, vision-stuff and what else not...) would be more important? Or is this another problem already solved (i.e. a non-issue not worth being represented ingame)? How long can current infantry-guys run around with NV googles, while telling stupid jokes over radio, checking twitter, and stuff? Hours? Days? What kind of batteries do they use anyways? Are they heavy? Couldn't they get dangerous if hit by a bullet?

Btw, the troubleshooting section is not the right one to post things like this. This fits more into general discussion.

I sort of agree... But does it though?

The SLI issue is a troubleshooting issue...

The huron bug/issue is again, a troubleshooting issue.. if you run surround.

The other 2 issues are already on the bug tracker and you are correct, are not strictly troubleshooting issues... If you want to report this and ask to get it moved, you are welcome to.. But i'd feel a bit cheeky posting up a rant thread then politely asking a moderator to 'move my extremely negative thread where it can get more attention please'.

Anyway... The SLI one hit a large number of people and the huron is with DLC content...

The sli one has just been buried, i mean... It seems like nobody wants to touch that, last time a dev replied it was to pass the buck to nVidia, even though:

- some people report it on crossfire

- its strictly an Arma issue

-- its strictly related to pip

-- it was introduced by a patch

-- it's only on specific vehicles... (Yes that's correct, it works fine on specific vehicles)

Since providing that rationale there hasnt been another dev back in to explain what's going on... ( feeling ignored )

It's been going for enough years now to get the sense its like 'well fuck those SLI guys'.

Personally i'm an adult, I understand its a business, and i could actually deal with:

'You are not a large enough percentile to spend 'x amount of hours/days/weeks/months' to fix the issue, therefore we have decided to spend the resources elsewhere'

but i dislike the feeling that there's just a hope the issue with go away if they ignore it long enough...

The lack of confidence / clarification... It translates to a lack of care.

Also it fucking irks me, that the huron is a 'DLC' or as BIS likes to put it a 'Premium' chopper, which is so niche to be almost useless except for support then i try it out and i can't even fly it in first person because it sounds shit. A 'premium' piece of equipment that you pay extra for that doesn't work properly on release and when you post up on the bug tracker it feels so rare to get dev input it almost seems like they think they're doing you a favor by replying... :/

Personally i'm not too fussed where this is posted,

At least the Huron sound bug has been fixed, according to the dev branch changelog, thankfully.

Edited by FrankHH

Ok the huron sound-bug is indeed fixed on the dev branch...

It is the most recent / least of the issues presented, but i will give credit where credit is due.

They have fixed one of their mistakes :)

Good job BI :)

Also incase it wasn't clear, this is probably one of my favourite games of all-time (i am not just shitting on the game) -- i just wish i could use all the of toys (and they worked) i was speaking of in the first post.

Edited by Stilton