hyphon

Dedicated server

Hi guys,

hope you are all well and not too busy with all the games in development.

After implementing the MP part into Take On Mars, how far is this going? Any plans to develop and release a dedicated server for Linux based systems?

Friends of mine had asked me about the Multiplayer part of ToM and we talked about the game. They sound very interested to buy ToM, but for all of us it's hard to host a server. Some of us using older configs, which wouldn't handle the load of a server others, including me, have just smaller Internet connections, which don't have enough upload speed.

A dedicated Linux based server would work well for me, because I'm talked to a other friend of mine, who's running a Linux server in a datacenter nearby and would help me to setup a server for testing, if it runs on 64-bit Linux systems.

I can imagine that programming a dedicated server for Linux would be painful, but it would improve the MP part so much.

Thanks a lot guys for your awesome work.

Hey Hyphon, yeah unfortunately I sincerely doubt we'll have Linux support. The port would require too much resources for our small team. As for dedicated servers, that too is large task, though not as bad as a Linux port. I do not want to promise dedicated server support atm, but I do understand it is certainly welcome, so there will be some resources dedicated to at least doing a feasibility study.

Thank you for the statement.

I understand the resource issue, but keep hanging on it, at least with the study.

As I wrote above, it would improve the MP and also made it possible to us to work on a base, even other (or the host) are not online.

We really should meet again soon! ;)

By the way: I'll write a PM next week. Nothing TOM related, just some thoughts a friend and I had this week. Maybe this would be something for the time after TOM.

We really should meet again soon! ;)

By the way: I'll write a PM next week. Nothing TOM related, just some thoughts a friend and I had this week. Maybe this would be something for the time after TOM.

Indeed we should :)

Sure, whener you get the chance to post it.

Hello,

The dedicated server would give huge boost for players playing online. As for porting to Linux, it is not so tedious task if the game is written on C/C++ or other well known programming language. They all have cross-platform compilers which allow to run code on any popular OS. The main difference between Windows and Linux programming is the graphics card API which is mainly DirectX for Windows and OpenGL for Linux. But as far for the dedicated server it does not require any graphics. So should be at least be worth to try make copy of the server code from the game and try compiling it for the external binary:) As for the hosting on Linux servers it is one of win-win situations with for the multi-threading/multi-CPU performance (the OS kernel is designed for multi-user and multi-process) and hosting prices.

As an example you can take a look how Ark Survival Evolved game gone through development and post-production and how they did grow up player base. The dedicated MP servers was the key for the community. 2 years later it is still popular game and people keep playing on the dedicated servers.

Cheers!