Sign in to follow this  
DancZer

What kind of speaker/headphone do you use?

What kind of speaker/headphone do you use?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of speaker/headphone do you use?

• Basic Headphone
    • Premium Headphone
    • Basic Earphone
    • Premium Earphone
    • Laptop
    • Speaker 2.0
    • Speaker 2.1
    • Speaker 5.1
    • Speaker 7.1
    • Other(leave a comment)

I use a pair of Sennheiser HD 598s on a Soundblaster ZX soundcard. The key point however is the setup of the card and how it simulates 5.1 surround sound. So I also have SBX Pro on and thus in the game (and other games) they detect or are set to 5.1 speakers and the headphones place the sounds virtually. Gives me reasonable perception of distance and direction, something that DX basic headphone mode doesn't give me very well. So if the question is whether a soundcard is worth it for me at least I consider the surround sound algorithms to be the main selling point of the soundblaster and Xonar, not really the DAC capabilities.

Interesting stuff, Brightcandle, will try out the 5.1 mode on my x-fi xtreme music instead of the cmss2. The sound algorithm´s/3d-modes are an important point.

Also use a Xonar with Sennheiser HD 558 and I can say that the sound in game at this point is not ok, with stereo or virtual surround. Sound samples are not ok, directional/positional sound is not working properly and sound distance is completely messed.

In fact is the sound that is making me to take a break from Arma..