Sign in to follow this  
vran.

DOOM returns

Teaser trailer:

Doesn't show much apart from the fact it will be a proper Doom game and not a CoD want-to-be. The first two games are still very playlable, iconic shooters, and the third one, although it went into a slighty different direction, was also an enjoyable and visually amazing game for it's time. Alongside Wolfenstein 3D, Doom is regarded as one of the first titles to shape and popularize the first-person shooter genre which eventually diversified into several sub-genres. Although if you're looking for tactics and realism you're looking at the wrong game - Doom is all about massive carnage and plays more like Arcade 'run and gun' games, only from a first-person perspective. The appeal are the heavy weapons, the tough monsters, the rocking soundtrack, the diverse levels, the carnage, the struggle when playing on higher difficulty levels (running out of ammo, looking for health packs), the community created content and so on. Doom is rightfully respected as one of the fathers of the FPS genre and also responsible for popularizing the PC as a gaming platform. Of course all this is written for those who are new to the series which I doubt many here are. :)

I loved Doom, they were awesome.

I also think it was my 1st MP game i played (I think) when we linked two PS1 and had monitors back to back :D fond memories

Good old Doom, had it on a PC back in 1995 :638:

I hope it will be different than the new Wolfenstein games style - not just replace all Nazis with Doom monsters and in the scifi environment

i would like the doom 3 style but with latest graphics - still the good old DOOM 1 will never die haha

then again there's Quake which deserves a better sequel to be like Quake 2 - with that hard rock music and killing every strogg in the way :638:

I kinda don´t like what I see. I already fear that there will be a visual downgrade, some scenes had way to many particles in them, and other things. The finishing moves do look nice in presentations and trailers, but stuff like that gets very boring really really fast. Even in the presentation animations began to repeat themselves. And in the end it doesn´t really look like Doom gameplay wise.... the Gameplay looks very generic.

Well it does look generic but still better than nothing

also these levels are the same levels that been on QuakeCon 2014 , so these levels might not be in the final game

lets wait how the final version will look like

Looks good to me. Love all the meat and juice, oldschool type gameplay solely focused on monster fraging. Hell? level looks absolutely amazing, sulphur thick air, dense atmosphere, almost smelling all the blood there. Had that kind of feelings when Doom3 came out. Also worth noticing is fact of multiplayer and coop mode, that is something new in Doom franchise.

Wonder how it will run? Smooth just like other id games or it will require 2000$ PC to run. Nowadays games have extreme requirements and I don't catch up with computer upgrades these days, maybe it's best to switch to consoles to keep up with all the new titles :/

PS. We know what's next then, because after Doom comes Quake. Quake 5 in this case ;)

Edited by Sudayev

Looks too much like Doom 3 imo, only a bit faster and more violent. The weapons didn't impress me either, they looked like guns from every other shooter out there. Only the double barrel shotgun and the chainsaw felt good to me. It also seemed like it was played with a gamepad, with slow aiming and a weapon selection menu poping up all the time. Although the fire fights still looked good and tense so it might be fun to play. I just don't think it will reach the heights of the first two games which, despite the dated looks and movement mechanics, are still fantastic to play and have amazingly designed and varied levels, great music, pacing, weaponry, violence, etc. I suggest downloading the Doomsday Engine for running them on modern hardware or DOSBox if you want an authentic experience.

4K screen shoots (click on pic to see full detail):

http://cdn3.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/DOOM-4K-2.jpg

http://cdn3.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/DOOM-4K-3.jpg

http://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/DOOM-4K.jpg

http://cdn3.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/DOOM-4K-4.jpg

http://cdn3.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/DOOM-4K-1.jpg

http://cdn3.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/DOOM-4K-5.jpg

Looks good but people are completely correct when they say it looks generic. It seems it's more aimed at a younger audience that was growing up on the likes of Halo and Call of Duty, plays shooters with a gamepad and thinks it's the violence and special moves that make Doom good. This is not designed in the 'old school' fashion of the first Dooms, Duke 3D, Blood and the likes, where good and quick aiming and movement was required to survive and the player had to actively make tactical choices due to endless onslaughts of enemies and shortage of ammo and health packs. The maze-like level designs with lots of creativity and variety to them also seem to be gone, as the heavy metal soundtrack that pumped the player with adrenaline.

Edited by noob1

The trouble is after shooting the first 100 monsters the game becomes incredibly monotonous and frustrating

while the initial vids stuff looks very plastic like in nature of surfaces and texturing, I will probably be picking up a copy when it comes out just for the hell of it no pun intended :P.

Official trailer if someone hasn't seen yet (gore galore ;p):

Not fully convinced on the melee mechanic but I think it will still be fun for those that like mindless violent shooters and provide a challenge to veterans on the higher difficulty levels.

Cool. But as always I doubt the trailer. Actual gameplay may be different...  <_<

I think it will appeal to the younger audience who haven't been there and seen it all already.

It reminds me of Quake 4 which felt like retread of Doom 3 and Quake 2.

Played it in the 90's. Not sure I need to play it again.

No.. to be more specific, I'm sure I don't need to play it again.

It was good the first time around though. ;)

That magic is over. When I first saw Doom played in a video game store (ps2) I knew that was the type of gaming I had been waiting for.  Finally you could shoot AND move in a 3d environment! And and and shotguns!! and Demons!!!

Of course you just cant recreate 1st time experiences like that. Those low res pink demons and floating evil grin dudes were burnt into my subconscious - I literally believe the low res, abstract, fuzzy quality of it all made it MORE EFFECTIVE!  It recalls like a hazy bad dream. Add to it that low bass heartbeat soundtrack...

Today they try and make these picture perfect evil dudes that actually makes them look more phoney like a plastic toy. Too slick productions with the pre-made cliche hero baddass is just played out.

Played it in the 90's. Not sure I need to play it again.

No.. to be more specific, I'm sure I don't need to play it again.

It was good the first time around though. ;)

It was. And I'm glad I was there to experience the start of the FPS

• Like 1