Sign in to follow this  
Rydygier

Which novels should be filmed? Type your most anticipated/longed candidates.

"Why this novel has not yet been filmed, dammit?" - did you asked such question at least once?

I wonder, which novels do you definitelly want to see filmed? Or "gamed" if you must...

I'll start with "Black Company" by Glen Cook (just give it a few minutes of chance). It's genuinely beyond me, why so appealing canonical, yet unique fantasy novel still has no own screen version? Especially after Game of Thrones, and earlier LoTR of course, which proved, fantasy could be a high quality successful production, they should seek for books of such kind. So amazing and non-cliche dark fantasy movie/series could be made! The only thing, I would affraid, is that in case of Black Company it would be easy to spoil its very special atmosphere by some Hollywoodish shallow claptrap. I guess, not easy to recreate on screen the impression, a first-person narrative of this kind gives.

A second would be "Witcher" fantasy series by Sapkowski, worldwide known mostly thanks to computer game. Yes, I'm awared, there was a Polish movie, but I refuse to call it a proper screen version - it was disgrace. The only good thing was music in this crap. There is hope however.

Third - Honor Harrington SF series. Strong mostly due to military aspect, but IMO this will suffice.

Fourth - Amber series by Roger Zelazny, another classic fantasy begging for attention.

Fifth - The Invicible short story by Stanislaw Lem. IMO one of if not THE best of his stories. Or Fiasco, although this could be hard to turn into interesting movie. They already filmed one of his novels,

, with so-so result, very shallowed adaptation sadly, while other of his ideas was duplicated in Matrix. Not mentioning old USSR films. Edited by Rydygier
  • Like 1

Schismatrix by Bruce Sterling

Involution Ocean by Bruce Sterling (very underrated)

Some short stories from P.K. Dick like "The Trouble with Bubbles"

I'd love to see them filmed, but only by Tarantino or by someone outside of Hollywood.

"Why this novel has not yet been filmed, dammit?" - did you asked such question at least once?

I wonder, which novels do you definitelly want to see filmed? Or "gamed" if you must...

I'll start with "Black Company" by Glen Cook (just give it a few minutes of chance). It's genuinely beyond me, why so appealing canonical, yet unique fantasy novel still has no own screen version? Especially after Game of Thrones, and earlier LoTR of course, which proved, fantasy could be a high quality successful production, they should seek for books of such kind. So amazing and non-cliche dark fantasy movie/series could be made! The only thing, I would affraid, is that in case of Black Company it would be easy to spoil its very special atmosphere by some Hollywoodish shallow claptrap. I guess, not easy to recreate on screen the impression, a first-person narrative of this kind gives.

A second would be "Witcher" fantasy series by Sapkowski, worldwide known mostly thanks to computer game. Yes, I'm awared, there was a Polish movie, but I refuse to call it a proper screen version - it was disgrace. The only good thing was music in this crap. There is hope however.

Third - Honor Harrington SF series. Strong mostly due to military aspect, but IMO this will suffice.

Fourth - Amber series by Roger Zelazny, another classic fantasy begging for attention.

Fifth - The Invicible short story by Stanislaw Lem. IMO one of if not THE best of his stories. Or Fiasco, although this could be hard to turn into interesting movie. They already filmed one of his novels,

, with so-so result, very shallowed adaptation sadly, while other of his ideas was duplicated in Matrix. Not mentioning old USSR films.

Agree fully with the first two, the rest is going on my "to read" list :)

Horse soldiers. Afghans on horses with RPGs vs Taliban tanks, mixed with some US SF and air support. Surprised it isn't a movie already.

P.K. Dick

He is probably the most often filmed author ever, isn't? But Tarantino-style P.K Dick? That's something new. :)

the rest is going on my "to read" list

Have a nice reading. :) IMO each worthy of try, some lighter, other heavier.

Afghans on horses with RPGs vs Taliban tanks, mixed with some US SF and air support. Surprised it isn't a movie already.

Kinda reminds modern Rambo III. :)

Kinda reminds modern Rambo III. :)

Except that apparently it really happened.

A second would be "Witcher" fantasy series by Sapkowski

Since it's confirmed, Baginski will attempt to make The Witcher movie, let's lift this thread with some recent samples of his studio work samples - short, modernized adaptations/pastiches of old Polish legends with English subtitles:

Twardowsky (legend says about the Polish nobleman-sorcerer, who made a pact with the devil: any wishes granted for his soul. At the end Twardowski fled to the moon...).

Smok (Dragon) (A dragon lived in the cave under Cracow's Wawel, eating sheeps, young maidens and such, but some smart poor shoemaker poisoned dragon with the sheep stuffed with sulfur. Dragon ate this shit, started to drink water from Vistula river till exploded).

A Warhammer movie would be nice, A Series about Gotrek and Felix for example, or something about Warhammer 40k...only if it´s good of course.

• Like 1

I'd like to see 'The shadow over Innsmouth' by H.P. Lovecract and 'Spider World' by Colin Wilson.

the best book in the world - Master and Margerita (Bulhakov) was filmed by Russian tv, but those scenes would rather require best special effects like Matrix was made (zooming globe and wars on globe)

so i would like to see another adaptation of Master and margerita - but... but good book cannot be filmed, cause good book requires more imagination than any special effects can do  , 

i am afraid of new movies - cause new movies turn books into love stories (compare Hugo's Les Miserables or Count Monte Christo with later US movie , a "moral" issues in book replaced with "love romance")

the same happens in Polish movies - novels that were about morality and patriotism values - turn into love stories and romances and change theme of orginal plot of book , for example orginal book was about fight for independence and justice - movie version is typical romance , pathetic 

books were written for people with little different iq than pop culture movies aim , 

also books were written orginally to touch moral aspects , family, faith, patriotism etc. 

now all turns either into crime stories or romances or usual in Polish we call it "mordo bicie" (punching, kicking, beating) blood, bodycount, explosions, 

some time ago people in my country laughed that Soviet propaganda changed end of one novel that hero of book "went away to build kolhoz" cause movie director added different story (where guys built kolhoz)

nowadays movies also change plots of books - cut non political scenes, cut moral issues, cut hard issues that require iq, replace it with either shooting scene or boobs 

so i just hope that guys which make super special effects would be able to do properly Master and Margerita scene when satan shows globe and wars on globe

This novel is supposed to bring the curse on those who film it. Last 2005 year film made by Bladimir Bortko proves this - 18 actors who played in it died.

Master and Margerita ? :o

they all died ? omg

so it is really the best book in the world (if someone really understands it)

hahaha, devil written it himself (i read it 8 times)

Master and Margerita ? :o

they all died ? omg

so it is really the best book in the world (if someone really understands it)

hahaha, devil written it himself (i read it 8 times)

Not all but many of them. Theater plays were always unhappy too.

http://www.kp.ru/photo/gallery/48231/ - photo gallery containing list of actors who passed away up to 2013 year.

Lies of Silence. Studied it for English class in school and would always love to see it turned into a thriller. 

Set against the backdrop of the N.I Troubles a middleclass man who tries to live his life as normal (in the middle of an affair) is held at gunpoint and forced to drive an IRA bomb into the hotel he works in which is planed to kill a leading Unionist figure. He then has to make a choice between his and his wife lives or the lives of those inside the hotel. And the retaliation from the IRA if he calls the police. 

Red Storm and Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy

Apache by Ed Macy

JTAC by Paul Grahame

A Warhammer movie would be nice, A Series about Gotrek and Felix for example, or something about Warhammer 40k...only if it´s good of course.

There is at least one animated Warhammer 40K movie. Forgot the name but it was actually quite okay.

On the topic: Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer. Lovely piece of thriller mixed with fantasy elements.

Now here I thought I was the only human to have read that series. Was part of a Fantasy Book Club as a kid and this series above all others tripped me out in a way that altered my perception of life forever.

There is at least one animated Warhammer 40K movie. Forgot the name but it was actually quite okay.

Now that you said that I also remember that. It's abot 10 years old now. Need to hunt it down because I don't remember the movie but I remember talking of it with my friends.

Now that you said that I also remember that. It's abot 10 years old now. Need to hunt it down because I don't remember the movie but I remember talking of it with my friends.

I just checked it. The one I meant is called Ultramarines - A Warhammer 40K Movie and is about a group of Ultramarines fighting some Chaos blokes in a monastery (?) on a remote planet.

The Bone Labyrinth by James Rollins, definitely would make a great movie.

Red Storm and Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy

Apache by Ed Macy

JTAC by Paul Grahame

+1 Red Storm Rising, awsome novel. Have read it 4-5 times :D

+1 Red Storm Rising, awsome novel. Have read it 4-5 times :D

Would be super expensive to recreate that book for cinema :D

Abatoire 5 by Kurt Vonnegut

Kafka on the Seaside by Murakami (Western interpretation, Nippon films tend to be a little to dramatic for my taste)