Sign in to follow this  
Lt_Damage

1.85 resistance patch discussion

One thing I think is important for this release is good documentation for server admins on use of new features, and some documentation for mission editors also, maybe an updated command reference. Hopefully these things will come together, geez BIS works hard when you think about it smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lt_Damage @ Oct. 08 2002,10:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That is something I have noticed over this last year, BIS seem to avoid adding some new stuff already made by someone. e.g Keg's follow script, any of the cool new weapons that have been made so far. Vehicles etc.

I'd like to see BIS release some more armored units, and I'd like to see them set the standard for quality also.<span id='postcolor'>

yes...that does seem to be the case...it makes it difficult to use the new (user made) stuff in multiplay though as most players dont get the whole add-on download, install concept. There is a big thread about making packs...but unfortunately, I really dont see any user made add-ons catching on big time without some sort of BIS stamp of approval or something similar. (they already said they wouldnt do this) So in the multiplay realm...public servers have to run with stock items or it ends up confusing the players and the server ends up dead.

Yes I trialed addons on Gameplanet. We tried to organise it as well as possible and it didn't work out too good. New players were simply not able to play, we could not convey the information they needed in order to comply and download the addon packs. If a web browser opened automatically on connect or something that'd work.

Gameplanet runs addon free, which means no matter how many excellent addons are out there we cannot use them. And it also makes the few addons BIS have included in this patch very special to us.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">- Added: functions velocity, setVelocity<span id='postcolor'>

Can you actually set the velocity of an object with the command?

Alot of scripters have been asking for a way to move objects via scripting this for ages.

If this is what it appears to be it will be of great help to scripters.

If so it would be nice to be able to set the pitch too.

confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PRiME @ Oct. 09 2002,01:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">(Tank Halt! that causes virtually an immediate stop and some short skidding dependend on the underground, the rear part going airborne the nose downward. In general inertia and translational kinetic energy would be a great feature for tracked vehicles driving characteristics, resulting in nodding up/down while the hydraulic bumpers, shock absorbers, torsion bars / springs are working when accelerating, braking, driving above rough terrain or shooting ...possible?

<span id='postcolor'>

Satchel are you thinking about BF1942? I dunno if tanks respond in this manner in real life!.<span id='postcolor'>

Thats how tanks behave,

during my military time i had to make the driving license for tracked vehicles, as my post required it. The driving school was on the Leopard 1 and M113 trainer vehicles and simulators that time, the vehicle i served on later was the M577 TOC (take a look at my signature). During the driving course you learn the difference between 2 important maneuvers- i don´t know the correct english designation for it so i use the german terms; "Panzer anhalten" and "Panzer Halt!", the latter i´ve done thankfully only once during the driving school, and it´s brutal if it´s done after picking up some speed, a bruise or worse guaranteed to everyone not ready for this maneuver. So i do know a little about how such vehicles handle and behave on the road as well as in the terrain wink.gif, and Flashpoint is a far from portraying this reasonable, infact it´s unrealistic on that matter.

Just a piece of advice, if you are driving a car and a tank is driving in front of you for whatever reason, keep the distance to the tank above the braking distance you would require from your current speed to the current location of the tank, if a tank stops, it stops, almost instantly if the driver goes fully into the brakes.

If you are driving directly behind it, there is a good chance you will land under the tank if it brakes violently, even if you drive a sports car with outstanding braking performance.

If you like simulations, especially tanks, then check out Steel Beasts to get you an idea how a modern MBT behaves, it´s the closest in tank driving and shooting seen yet on a home PC, although the graphics are not quite up to date (no 3D accelleration).

Edit: You can download a demo for Steel Beasts right here:

http://www.esimgames.net/downloads/SBDemo1-195.zip

(20MB)

Don´t be discouraged by the graphics, it´s the best tank available on the market, sounds, attention to simulation detail and physics make up for that lack more than enough.

As for BF1942, i don´t like it, but they got the tracked vehicle driving characteristics quite good for WW2 tanks, compared to their real life counterparts as seen in the  german "Wochenschau" (nazi germany propaganda films during 2nd WW, that were shown a while ago on Arte television).

Satchell dude, Suma just laid the smack down in the OFP2 news forum coz people discussed other games. As much as I understand _exactly_ what ur post is about and find no problem, lets just discuss the patch and its features / fixes.

In other words this was more a message to the mods, don't close this thread please.

As long as there are no flames and noone mention other games than OFP in this topic it can stay open.

Right,

but an explanation and links to reference material had become necessary in regards to my questions and statements on the "fix tank behaviour" items in the bugfix list, and in regards to the reference to Bf1942 that had been made by another poster.

Summarized it´s still on the patch (although i did made some slight advertisement for Steel Beasts...granted biggrin.gif). But hey, as Flashpoint it´s a reference game.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Shadow @ Oct. 09 2002,09:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As long as there are no flames and noone mention other games than OFP in this topic it can stay open.<span id='postcolor'>

CHESS

*duck*

tounge.gif

How do the new respawn zones work?

You can have Respawn_West_1 and Respawn_West_2 and so on but how do you assign units to a respawn zone?

For example does it just work randomly?

Thank you for the fixes and new weapons, BIS. I'm making a large, dynamic MP mission that will be played on public servers, and I can't include addons for many reason. The addons you've included make the patch special (Now the sniper class has a bolt action they can buy, and the west have an ingram! woot!wink.gif.

Not to mention, you seem to have improved the dialog functionality. (Love those things)

Any hope of 3d controls? Please? =)

**Important!**

Is there any way to make a dialog appear on only one player's screen in multiplayer? That really bugs me!

I have to open it on everyone's screen and then close it on everyone's screen except the guy that ran it... ugh.

// edit - For some reason I thought this was an engine limitation that could be addressed in a patch, my mistake

Also, you have a load file command, is there a save file too? Can multiple computers write to the file when it's open? I was hoping to include a "feedback" function on my map's beta server, so people could type comments to me and I could retrieve them at a later date...

Thank you so much BIS! Love the feature list!

OT for this thread, but anyway....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is there any way to make a dialog appear on only one player's screen in multiplayer? That really bugs me!

I have to open it on everyone's screen and then close it on everyone's screen except the guy that ran it... ugh.

<span id='postcolor'>

How do you launch your dialog? Cause by launching it via addaction, the dialog should appear only on the screen of the player launching the action.

For further discussion about this, I suggest you open a thread in "mission editing" section describing your problem.

Whis'

Please, do not discuss topics not relevant to patch here, or this topic will be closed.

Do not post questions like "Is there any way to make a dialog appear on only one player's screen in multiplayer?", as they have no relation to the patch.

Do not start lengthy side discusions here, even if partially relevant, because they make topic hard to read.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (The_Captain @ Oct. 09 2002,10:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Thank you for the fixes and new weapons, BIS. I'm making a large, dynamic MP mission that will be played on public servers, and I can't include addons for many reason. The addons you've included make the patch special (Now the sniper class has a bolt action they can buy, and the west have an ingram! woot!wink.gif.

Not to mention, you seem to have improved the dialog functionality. (Love those things)

Any hope of 3d controls? Please? =)

**Important!**

Is there any way to make a dialog appear on only one player's screen in multiplayer? That really bugs me!

Also, you have a load file command, is there a save file too? Can multiple computers write to the file when it's open? I was hoping to include a "feedback" function on my map's beta server, so people could type comments to me and I could retrieve them at a later date...

Thank you so much BIS! Love the feature list!<span id='postcolor'>

Cant u just do it like kegeties script? The dialog occurs only to the player that died, isnt that the same thing?

Anyway, I can't wait for this patch to be released... I allmost wet myself when I saw "1.85 patch releas..." under "FlashNews" .... Only to find out that the topic had only been moved from General *yawn*

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is there any way to make a dialog appear on only one player's screen in multiplayer? That really bugs me!

<span id='postcolor'>

If you call, like me (isn't it Bn880), with radio instead of action key or something else effectivly you have dialogs on each client...

Suma, just one short question, as it came up in another thread: you annonced in a previous thread about custom sounds that there would be some limits to them. Couldn't find it in the list, though.

Did that make it into the patch, and if so did you include the possibility to set the absolute limit for sounds (like only up to 100k in total or something like that)?

As nice as the custom sounds feature is, it causes many problems on servers if too many people are using too many of them.

Sorry Guys, I couldn't find the following problem solved / fixed in the Bug-Fix-List: (and I couldn't post it any sooner because I had forgotten about it, until this week...)

When you take a Flag in a "Hold the Town" / "Flag-Fight"- map for example, and you get shot during the action, the flag will not be on the flagpole, but besides your corpse.

Now imagine this:

The fighting around the flag is so intense that no one reaches the flag in time.

What do I mean by in time?

When there are many fallen soldiers in the battlefield, there's is a point where the fallen ones start to disappear, because the game would be unplayable, when there are thousands of corpses in the field.

So far, so good, but what happens when the fallen soldier wih the flag disappears?

The flag disappears with him and the flag cannot be taken by any one any more.

I experienced this strange flag-problem several times during our last Clan wars, please answer me.

[GNC]Nekkekami (Special Warfare Group)

smile.gif I'm looking forward for the upcoming patch and would like to thank you for working and supporting for your fans!

Thanky you BIS! How many mb will the patch weigh in at? A point of concern for us 56k-ers.

Any particular reason for the mini?

Nekkekami,

That can be solved with scripting. In my CTF scripts, if the flag carrier is killed, then the script can wait for x number of seconds and then return the flag. That way you don't also run the risk of someone dying in the water or something, making the flag impossible to retrieve.

If someone takes the flag from the body before the timer expires, then the new flag carrier can still capture it.

Many more new options will be available now with 1.85. If I'm reading the new script commands correctly, then the new eventhandlers portions would seem to make available Kill detection, which is a very nice thing to have. Imagine a CTF where you can award points based not just on taking the flag and capturing it, but also killing/defending the flag carrier, etc. I'm also thinking of assassination missions where knowing who killed what is important to scoring. This will open up several new avenues of mission making.

An aircraft carrier is my big wish to one day see. =)

Also, the SetVelocity command will be great. I have some scripts that allow a person to drive the LST around, but SetVelocity sounds like it would be much better. It would also seem to add the possibility of having "turbo" options on cars. Imagine this: you drive your car until you get over 60KPH or so and then an action appears allowing you to use turbo. The turbo script could then set your car speed to something really fast, allowing you to catch major air as you fly off the church cliff (near the bridge on Nogova) and fly across the river! =) It might even be more funny with bicycles!

Hi all

Setvelocity will allow aircraft to take off and land from aircraft carriers. You can use it to make a catapult and arrestor wires sim biggrin.gif

Regards walker

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (walker @ Oct. 09 2002,16:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi all

Setvelocity will allow aircraft to take off and land from aircraft carriers. You can use it to make a catapult and arrestor wires sim biggrin.gif

Regards walker<span id='postcolor'>

Hmm, how about VTOL craft like the Harrier, could it be used to create these?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Major Fubar @ Oct. 09 2002,17:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (walker @ Oct. 09 2002,16:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi all

Regards walker<span id='postcolor'>

Hmm, how about VTOL craft like the Harrier, could it be used to create these?<span id='postcolor'>

if this would be correct it would be how about VSTOL craft like the Harrier, could it be used to create these?

it is not a helicopter

Yes of course, we need a VTOL class. We need some animation for changing plane to heli and heli to plane. I making V-22 Osprey Tiltrotor and it must working like a real tiltrotor (VTOL).

Screenshots:

http://www.ofp.klubwww.pl/V-221.JPG

http://www.ofp.klubwww.pl/V-222.JPG

http://www.ofp.klubwww.pl/V-223.JPG

http://www.ofp.klubwww.pl/V-224.JPG

http://www.ofp.klubwww.pl/V-225.JPG

http://www.ofp.klubwww.pl/V-226.JPG

The screens has been maked in my new island. Everythink is under construction and will be coming soon if bis relase the VTOL class.

Sorry for my English, it isn't good.