HorribleGoat

Terrain Builder Buldozer startup is super slow (40+ minutes)

I've had bit of an annoyance with buldozer and Terrain Builder.

Some time ago I thought that Buldozer with TB had broken since it did not seem to start up but I disregarded it as a bug and as I had very limited time for modding I forgot about it

Anyhow I tried it again few days ago and left Buldozer to start while I went to work and it had loaded up when I came back. This sparked inspiration to continue our map as I tried the buldozer again and it does run..

BUT the startup takes now around 40-50 minutes.. It was 5-10 couple of months ago when I last used TB before encountering the problem.

Now I can workaround it by waiting, but if anyone knows how I might fix this I would really appreciate the help.

Has anyone else encountered startup times like this?

I do have few million trees on the map, but it did not slow it down like this before.

Can you post your bulldozer startup parameter line.

Possible you may be missing -exThread=0? Which of missing will make the bulldozer launch times take forever. Also it depends on the size of your terrain and objects down as well.

Can you post your bulldozer startup parameter line.

Possible you may be missing -exThread=0? Which of missing will make the bulldozer launch times take forever. Also it depends on the size of your terrain and objects down as well.

Thanks M1lkm8n, but got the -exThread in there. I tested it out and Im quite sure it is just all the trees that bog it down. Hid the trees and got the launch time down to reasonable.

Cool. What is the size of your terrain. You could make 4 sections out of the terrain and launch only the corner you know you are going to be working in. That's an option that I use and it works very well. My launch time is only like 10 seconds compared to like 15 minutes when I launch the whole terrain

Map size is 20x20km. But the main urban area covers about 1/3 of the width and is almost in the center of the map so cutting it in to pieces wouldn't be very easy. Im quite happy with the 5-15min wait as I usually use the time on building modeling. Its much better than the 45+ minutes with the few million plants.

Cool. What is the size of your terrain. You could make 4 sections out of the terrain and launch only the corner you know you are going to be working in. That's an option that I use and it works very well. My launch time is only like 10 seconds compared to like 15 minutes when I launch the whole terrain

Exacly how would you do this ?

Exacly how would you do this ?

Well you would do 4 different map projects that have 1/4 of the map data placed in the right place, edit them as separate and when they are done you can export all the data, and import them into a new project and clean the seams. But I would suggest starting a new thread for a big question like this if you need more details.