Sign in to follow this  
big_t

Overall sound stage even worse than before ??

Until about a month ago the sound was flat and boring but somewhat tolerable. The update about a month ago is seems the gunshots in particular are unbelievably flat and static. It sounds like someone is playing a sub par sample from a drum machine or keyboard. No reverb, no difference in distance and I can no longer locate gunshot directions. 50m away or 300m away almost no difference at all in volume or reverb and direction.

Occlusion:Horrid

Reverb and dampening over distance: almost none

Direction: bewildering

Volume: not directly relative to distance

I play with dragon fyre or sos mods and the sound is quite decent and much more immersive.

I'm not trying to rag on the devs and I still love the game but quite honestly the stock sound is terrible and incredibly flat compared to the mods and I can't see how this recent update was progress in any way. Can't some of the mod processes be borrowed for the vanilla game. What can we learn form dragon fyre and sos? Check out some live combat videos and notice how Vanilla Arma 3 sounds nothing like it yet the mods are making an honest effort.

T

Edited by Big_T

Until about a month ago the sound was flat and boring but somewhat tolerable. The update about a month ago is seems the gunshots in particular are unbelievably flat and static. It sounds like someone is playing a sub par sample from a drum machine or keyboard. No reverb, no difference in distance and I can no longer locate gunshot directions. 50m away or 300m away almost no difference at all in volume or reverb and direction.

Occlusion:Horrid

Reverb and dampening over distance: almost none

Direction: bewildering

Volume: not directly relative to distance

I play with dragon fyre or sos mods and the sound is quite decent and much more immersive.

I'm not trying to rag on the devs and I still love the game but quite honestly the stock sound is terrible and incredibly flat compared to the mods and I can't see how this recent update was progress in any way. Can't some of the mod processes be borrowed for the vanilla game. What can we learn form dragon fyre and sos? Check out some live combat videos and notice how Vanilla Arma 3 sounds nothing like it yet the mods are making an honest effort.

T

Erm. Well I could understand from taste that you don favor the newly advanced sound system, but it's heavily work in progress. Some like it, some don't. Me personally, I love the changes, and they are the first step of many to come, you'd see that if you read Megagoth's thread about a trip to visit BiS's audio team. It's not flat. The sounds change depending on where you are, so I think you've been shooting in the same place for the majority of your playtime... Also, I see how you mentioned live combat videos that are recorded with potatoes... I recon your war zone sounds something like this?

Simply put, the audio overhaul has been shoehorned in the stable version without being finished first. What we got now is kind of a mess.

Simply put, the audio overhaul has been shoehorned in the stable version without being finished first. What we got now is kind of a mess.

A mess indeed, yet, still better than before they started improving sounds. Most of the guns actully sound like guns now. Katiba for example and the TRG are some of the best sounds made for the game thus far, and it's actually distinguishable, uniquely the same depending on the round, and is more realistic than Hollywood style sounds, that are simply loud and over ear pounding and almost the same sound.

I go back and watch footage of the old MX and Katiba sounds, just to listen to how bad it actually was. The Katibe before sounded like an utter joke, so did the TRG. The MX was ok, but the problem with it was it's extra long reverb sound and high pitch that became annoying to the ear after a medium amount of time with volume up to hear other important things going on.

.. The sounds change depending on where you are, so I think you've been shooting in the same place for the majority of your playtime...

That assumption is strange.. how would someone shoot from the same place all the time, not sure if you insinuating that I'm camping or something. Either way it's not the sounds from my weapon that are so bothersome (they are quite improved), it's the weapon sounds of those around me, or in the distance. I've tested more and come to conclusion that reverb , or lack of reverb is the main problem.

That and location of shots, not sure how that would be addressed but it wasn't that bad before.

I haven't had any trouble telling what direction sounds are coming from.

Still believe OFP/ArmA/ArmA2 sounds were better. At least distance and direction wise which is the most important factor for me.

I quite like the sounds at the minute, I think they've been changed for the better.

At least distance and direction wise which is the most important factor for me.
I hope BIS goes into this direction:

I hope BIS goes into this direction:

This is just heaven. It's a shame the mod has not been released. Is this not a huge, monumental step closer to how ballistic combat sounds in real life?

So anyone prefers the current sound stage over the A.C.S.E video linked? Please explain your rationale as I'm eager to learn.

I've never been on a battle field but from live videos and a rudimentary understanding of how sound travels, A.C.S.E system sounds a lot more true to reality and quite honestly a lot more pleasing.

This man needs to be on the team.

T

Patience grows a rose, my friends...

:rolleyes:

Patience grows a rose, my friends...

:rolleyes:

Oh my, In the presence of greatness !! A special rose it will be. Very much looking forward to this masterpiece. :bounce3:

I have watched / listened to that youtube vid quite a few times and each listen it just gets better and better.