Sign in to follow this  
Scalding

[BUG] Multiplayer - if Host Alt-Tabs, players may be disconnected

In Multiplayer, if the player hosting the game Alt-Tabs out of ToM, other players will begin seeing an icon warning them of an impending disconnect and eventually become disconnected.

This is because the game pauses when the player Alt-Tabs, and this includes the networking and simulation! Although it may be reasonable to pause the game when the player Alt-Tabs in single player, in Multiplayer these things must continue whether ToM has focus or not.

As there is no dedicated server program, this precludes the possibility of running a multiplayer server indefinitely, as the computer cannot be committed to running this one game.

Hi, it does not do this in windowed mode, and we have plans to address this. It is an annoying occurence which happens due to true fullscreen. We'll likely move to borderless windowed instead.

I noticed that, in Windowed mode, the game appeared to still react to mouse movements applied to the active window (when the game was behind it). I did not check to see if it responded to mouse clicks applied to that window, though.

I would normally expect all of this to be handled in a separate thread. For example, all the physics should be in one thread, networking in another, UI and rendering in a third (or third and fourth). The current mechanism would seem to be problematic, even with borderless windows.