Sign in to follow this  
eddo36

Ukraine develops defensive shelter

CE4uaaaVIAAcOzk.jpg

(Xinhua) -- The Ukrainian army has successfully tested a new Ukrainian-made defensive shelter MVS-2, which could protect soldiers from artillery fire, the military said Wednesday.

"The new armored object is the know-how of domestic military science and it has no analogues in the world," the press service of the government military operation in eastern regions said in a statement.

The MVS-2, a vertical defensive structure with a hexagonal shape, is made of strong metal, the statement said, without specifying the metal type and the size of the bunker.

During the test, which was conducted near the government-controlled southern port city of Mariupol in the restive Donetsk region, the defensive shelter has shown resistance against small arms and artillery fire, the statement said.

Mass production of the shelter will begin in the coming days and the structure will be used to protect Ukrainian soldiers in fight against pro-independence insurgents in eastern regions, it said.

In April 2014, Ukraine's military launched offensives against insurgents to regain control over the seized cities and towns in Donetsk and Lugansk regions. Since then, more than 6,100 people, including at least 1,675 Ukrainian servicemen, have been killed in the confrontation.

This belongs to the Ukraine General thread.

This isn't about Ukraine, it's about the shelter.

So they have basically built a metallic bunker?

Small arms fire is all well and good, but how about 23 or 30 mm cannons?

How many soldiers can get in there (and how fast) while under artillery fire? Of course normal artillery needs some time to correct it onto the target, but Grad is known for covering large areas in short time.

That shelter looks just like the defensive wall along the russian border: it costs money and is quite useless at the same time.

But no one cares, since its not their (govt) money they will pay for it and they can show their people that they are actually doing something.

Got to see and read more about that because because that pic doesn't show anything. Really need more info what's so special because metal bunker/shelter is just a metal bunker/shelter. Light and easy to move :confused:

For me this "movable shelter" looks like simple (by it look "garage level", which is rather good thing by itself, but not really innovative, smart adaptation of old ideas at best, which doesn't mater though) answer for a specific problem. This may work as a solution for very specific situation, possibly defined as the current local status quo. From what I understood it has to protect soldiers from the current main cause of WIA/KIA, which would be small caliber and artillery explosion shards (not direct hits obviously). In the same time this generates new vulnerabilities by making a soldier stationary (more vulnerable for high caliber direct fire) and greatly limiting his situational awareness. Still if this is not a problem now and there and if used wisely, it may provide, for what it was designed - to lower casaulties count. At least temporarily, until enemy will adapt or situation change for less static (not so WWI-like).

Edited by Rydygier

But isnt a simple trench enough for protecting agains small arms fire and artillery?

I doubt that bunker can protect against a direct artillery hit (same as a trench).

Yes trenches are static, but they dont cost money and you dont need trucks and cranes to set them up.

And if you need mobile infantry protection from small arms fire and artillery, thats what IFVs and APCs were designed for, and ukrainian army should have plenty of those.

Moreover I would like to know how do you enter that bunker. If you are supposed to get in through that round opening on the top, well have fun trying to get in with a rfile and a belt with bags attached to it while under fire.

If a BMP opens fire on it, everyone inside is basically dead because of metal splinters and as it is static during a battle and stands out in the open it will be an easy target.

Edited by negah

True, apart from possible doing in certain situation, what was designed for, IMHO it would generate more problems, than it supposed to solve. For me it looks like an example of narrow & short-term thinking, a makeshift ad hoc, but we don't know whole technical background of planned usage etc. So for example it has to be used out of range/LOS of said high caliber direct fire. Or even MG nests. Also I do not envy a guy, who has to sit in this claustrophobic tin (however he get in - maybe they plan to drop this over a soldier, more covering him than making him get in? :) ) while bullets etc constantly hitting it. You easily can go crazy.

(however he get in - maybe they plan to drop this over a soldier, more covering him than making him get in? :) )

Having played the Red Alert games that actually sounds like a great idea :D

It kinda looks like a spaceship you might find in Kin-dza-dza to me.

fff6f90cc8.jpg

To me it looks like a MG nest. You dig a hole, put one of these on top and you have yourself a makeshift bunker. I doubt that the hatch on top is to get in, it is too small for that, I bet it is to put your head out to take a look at things. The entrance will be a larger hatch on one of the sides. It´s not a bad idea, Ukraine lacks a lot of things, but what they have plenty of is steel.

Really proof against rpg and zsu? Much doubt do i

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Well, good luck hitting that small thing in the first place

what is this, some kind of modern day Einmannschutzbunker?

what is this, some kind of modern day Einmannschutzbunker?

Exactly, just a lot cheaper